The SPFL recommendation?

Partick emphasising the fact that the top flight clubs were knocking back reconstruction before they had received any proposal whatsoever which just highlights what a complete shambles the spfl is.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

48 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

There Partick Thistle joining the funny club statement league.

She makes some reasonable points in the letter, however the 2nd sentence starts with an odd point, considering they have done exactly the opposite.

Letter from Partick Thistle FC to the SPFL (30.04.2020)

Dear Murdoch,

I wanted to write to you after the publication of your most recent open letter to all Scottish professional football league clubs.

Firstly, this is private correspondence that we will not be making public. I would hope you would ensure that this is respected by the SPFL and its PR advisers. We have no wish to add to the ongoing divisive and increasingly distasteful debate being played out in the media.  It damages Scottish football and your recent letters, regrettably, have added to the perception of Scottish football being at war.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If they don't want reconstruction then why should they pretend to go along with it just to avoid hurting someone's feelings?

My main issue is what was the point of it all if it was never going to go through in any form? Why not speak to the top flight see if reconstruction has a chance and then if so hold your talks.  The fact is we had top flight clubs involved in the discussions who obviously presumed there was a willingness to back a new league structure and you had st mirren on the group who werent in favour as far as we know but went along with it for 3 weeks until now.  Two premiership clubs couldve stopped this whole shambles weeks ago but just publicly stating they wouldnt be backing a change in the top flight and that at least wouldve been that. To knock it back before they've even received a proposal though is just farcical.

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

My main issue is what was the point of it all if it was never going to go through in any form? Why not speak to the top flight see if reconstruction has a chance and then if so hold your talks.  The fact is we had top flight clubs involved in the discussions who obviously presumed there was a willingness to back a new league structure and you had st mirren on the group who werent in favour as far as we know but went along with it for 3 weeks until now.  Two premiership clubs couldve stopped this whole shambles weeks ago but just publicly stating they wouldnt be backing a change in the top flight and that at least wouldve been that. To knock it back before they've even received a proposal though is just farcical.

As I said. Most top flight clubs were interested in reconstruction if lower league clubs wanted it, as long as the top flight wasnt expanded. Your own club voted against expanding the top flight last time they were in it, before you start this moral compassing about the "scottish preservation league" again. It is their right to protect their income due to the fact its entirely the top flight that brings in the TV money. The bottom three tiers contribute absolutely nothing to that deal, yet dont seem to understand quite how little money there would be in Scottish football without it.

League Two clubs refused to back any proposal that wasnt 14-14-14, and Hearts were rejecting any proposal that was permanent.

It was fucked from the get go and only desperate morons genuinely believed anything would happen in regards to it.

Aberdeen, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Ross County, Hibernian and Dundee United (!) are the guilty clubs according to the BBC.

What doesn’t make sense to me is that at least 4 of those clubs have a more than realistic chance of being in the bottom 6 of a 12 team league and at risk of relegation any given season.

Surely increasing the league to 14 gives you more of a buffer against relegation and a chance to consolidate as a top tier side.

Surely maintaining long term top flight status is more financially beneficial than the short term season by season how much cash can we leach from the old firm approach.

1 minute ago, Clyde01 said:

What doesn’t make sense to me is that at least 4 of those clubs have a more than realistic chance of being in the bottom 6 of a 12 team league and at risk of relegation any given season.

St Johnstone havent finished in the bottom 4 of the top flight since their relegation in the early 00s m8, spent more time in the top half than bottom in the last 11 years.

Surely increasing the league to 14 gives you more of a buffer against relegation and a chance to consolidate as a top tier side.

Surely maintaining long term top flight status is more financially beneficial than the short term season by season how much cash can we leach from the old firm approach.

Totally agree. A point I made on here yesterday too.....

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

As I said. Most top flight clubs were interested in reconstruction if lower league clubs wanted it, as long as the top flight wasnt expanded. Your own club voted against expanding the top flight last time they were in it, before you start this moral compassing about the "scottish preservation league" again. It is their right to protect their income due to the fact its entirely the top flight that brings in the TV money. The bottom three tiers contribute absolutely nothing to that deal, yet dont seem to understand quite how little money there would be in Scottish football without it.

League Two clubs refused to back any proposal that wasnt 14-14-14, and Hearts were rejecting any proposal that was permanent.

It was fucked from the get go and only desperate morons genuinely believed anything would happen in regards to it.

They knocked it back though before they had received any proposal. Why not just say that 3 weeks ago and save all the bother?  Christ you even had livi publicly backing a 14 1010 10  only 2 weeks ago . Why do that if the top flight are never going to vote for it?

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

They knocked it back though before they had received any proposal. Why not just say that 3 weeks ago and save all the bother?  Christ you even had livi publicly backing a 14 1010 10  only 2 weeks ago . Why do that if the top flight are never going to vote for it?

I'll say it for the millionth time.

Most top flight sides were willing to agree to reconstruction, as long as it didnt involve expanding the top flight.

No proposal was put forward, as the "working group" couldnt agree on one, all consumed by their own self interest.

League Two sides wouldnt accept anything other than 14-14-14.

The top flight wouldnt accept expanding the top flight.

Hearts wouldnt accept permanent reconstruction of any division.

There was no proposal, because they could never actually agree on what to propose.

There was a chance, but that chance was ruined because clubs in every division couldn't back down from what was in their own interests.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'll say it for the millionth time.

Most top flight sides were willing to agree to reconstruction, as long as it didnt involve expanding the top flight.

No proposal was put forward, as the "working group" couldnt agree on one, all consumed by their own self interest.

League Two sides wouldnt accept anything other than 14-14-14.

The top flight wouldnt accept expanding the top flight.

Hearts wouldnt accept permanent reconstruction of any division.

There was no proposal, because they could never actually agree on what to propose.

There was a chance, but that chance was ruined because clubs in every division couldn't back down from what was in their own interests.

So why was it the top flight that came out and said they werent accepting any reconstruction plans at the moment and not the reconstruction group saying that unfortunately we couldnt come to any agreement on a proposal to put to the top flight clubs.  I dont see anyone coming out and saying the group was a disaster and noone could agree on anything.  It's all being pointed at the 6 clubs in the top flight that have knocked it back as being the issue.  Noone in the top flight has pointed their fingers at the reconstruction group either.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

St Johnstone havent finished in the bottom 4 of the top flight since their relegation in the early 00s m8, spent more time in the top half than bottom in the last 11 years.

Give it time, with Tommy Wright away now I’ll bet you are wishing for a bigger top flight before too long.

As a Falkirk fan I really can’t get too angry about us being stranded amongst the diddies for an other season (at least).
I actually think we would have stumbled our way to winning the league but the ultra cautious shite played by McKinnon and the ridiculous failure to take a single point from the utter dregs that are Clyde has bitten us on the backside big time.
Our own fault, no one else’s.

12 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Give it time, with Tommy Wright away now I’ll bet you are wishing for a bigger top flight before too long.

You realise we've had two other managers in that period keep us in the top flight dont you?

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You realise we've had two other managers in that period keep us in the top flight dont you?

Surely you must be due a shite appointment at some stage though. Just like the law of averages must mean we're due a decent appointment at some point or so I keep hoping.🤣