The SPFL recommendation?

8 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Why should we be looking at reconstruction?

It was never an issue before this situation happened- don't recall anybody howling for bigger leagues or three leagues of 14 or any of the pish that's been spouted.

While two-up with no relegation might be a decent way out of this to piss off the fewest teams, it wouldn't be done for the betterment of the game, it'd be done to get us out of a hole.

The structure of the leagues as-is works pretty well to be honest and while the idea of a bigger top league is appealing to clubs like Falkirk and Raith who think we may have a shot of getting into a 16 team Premier, in reality we're in league one and there are 22 teams above us.

If we must go to a 14 team top league for a season to get us out of this hole then that would be ok but let's not kid ourselves that we've been presented with a golden oppertunity to change something we've been wanting to change for years......

Having said that, the distribution of wealth is something that does need changed but I'm not sure how the current situation puts the smaller teams in any sort of strong bargaining position to push for that either.

So I'm not really sure what oppertunity the small teams are failing to grasp.

Top clubs  need to have this done and dusted quickly to ensure next seasons league starts early and they get their tv cash.  

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Like who?

I'd say that Killie are the only club in Scotland who it makes f**k all difference to now. We won't get our prize money any quicker, and we'll still be in 8th place if the Premiership season does eventually finish.

Edited by craigkillie

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Top clubs  need to have this done and dusted quickly to ensure next seasons league starts early and they get their tv cash.  

Where do you think the prize money that all the League 1 and 2 clubs have been desperately waiting for comes from?

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I'd say that Killie are the only club in Scotland who it makes f**k all difference to now. We won't get our prize money any quicker, and we'll still be in 8th place if the Premiership season does eventually finish.

But does that mean you're voting for "sporting integrity" by backing the proposal?

You'll be the same as us. Wanting clarity now so you can plan ahead, nothing more.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Wouldnt have thought theres much in it either way for the likes of ross county. Rich owner can cover costs and their not going to go up or down.

Ross County are in massive danger of going down - they've been rubbish for months.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Where do you think the prize money that all the League 1 and 2 clubs have been desperately waiting for comes from?

That's this years though. Nobody in leagues one or two is really that bothered about next years at the moment. It's a paltry sum by the time it reaches those depths anyway.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

That's this years though. Nobody in leagues one or two is really that bothered about next years at the moment. It's a paltry sum by the time it reaches those depths anyway.

They'll be bothered about next year's if they don't get it, just like every club.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

And small clubs want it done and dusted quickly so they can get their prize money/ start selling season tickets/ replica shirts etc AND NOT GO BUST.

Nobody is in any sort of strong position for bargaining here.

Just now, stevoraith said:

And small clubs want it done and dusted quickly so they can get their prize money/ start selling season tickets/ replica shirts etc AND NOT GO BUST.

Nobody is in any sort of strong position for bargaining here.

Yes so give them the cash and then discuss relegation and promotion. By having this vote your only risking them being even longer without money if it comes out no.

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

1. Because it allows the least unfair solution to the problem we are in.
2. It goes a long way. If teams in promotion spots and play off positions can be seen to not be losing out then surely that lessens the unfairness? Granted there will be some that still feel aggrieved but you limiting this.
3. Agree with regards to we’re poor at organising. However these are unprecedented times. The TV companies care about having four old firm games and being able to show either or both as much as they possibly can. I’m sure they’ll be fine.
4. Agree again with the point of another potential lockdown. I don’t see how we would have proper contingency plans as things stand (see point 3) as you’ve stated. That needs addressing regardless. And we’re rushing things through here regardless by trying to squeeze clubs into accepting something by withholding their money.
5. See point 1 and 2

1. That is highly debatable, and in my opinion would lead to the potential issues that I mentioned.

2. Any reconstruction would lead to a number of teams feeling aggrieved. I would perhaps get reconstruction if there was a solution where no-one was treated unfairly and it fixed everything, I've yet to see any that do.

3. I think you are underestimating how much work and negotiation goes into these kind of TV contracts and deals. If (it's a big if, but we'd need to plan for it) we were to start a new season in August then we effectively have 3 months to finalise the issues with completing and dealing with the fallout from this situation, which will not be a quick process given this is Scottish football. Then set-up a new structure, iron out any issues, get everyone to agree with it, deal with the clubs who are upset, implement it whilst also working on TV and sponsorship deals (with businesses that are shut). I feel it is pie in the sky for anyone to suggest that can happen in the timescale given what is happening just now.

4 and 5. You are right we are rushing things through, so we should be sticking to what we know and limiting the damage to one season if possible, rather than make a bad situation worse, which is what I think we would be doing.

We can agree to disagree! I just don't see reconstruction as necessary or viable at this moment.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He should've just said we're voting yes because that benefits us. That's fine and I wouldnt expect anything else but his answer on sky never made a mention of that it was all about the good of scottish football which is complete tosh.

Don’t discount some pressure on clubs from the SPFL to say such crap. He clearly understands if he criticizes the SPFL, he is critiquing the group of people who will decide if Raith get a promotion or not, and not getting promoted will result in more cuts to a club he loves. Underlings, and club managers are very much so, say things much differently in private than in public because they know an honest opinion is the last thing the boss wants to hear.

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yes so give them the cash and then discuss relegation and promotion. By having this vote your only risking them being even longer without money if it comes out no.

So the smaller clubs get their prize money without having to vote on declaring champions etc now (fair way to do it I agree).

But they still want clarity now on what the league is going to look like next season- they don't want to kick the can months down the road.

Most of the smaller teams will want to know what league they will be playing in and who else will be in that league so they can budget accordingly.

And more imprtantly, once you have that tied down, you can then work on contingency plans for what to do if we can't restart on the nominal first day of the season.

It looks like this will go on for months yet, time would be better spent getting prmootion and relegation sorted ASAP and then you can get leagues sorted with plans for what you're going to do if you only have time for 27 games, or 18 games, or 9 games........

I still don't see hy you think the small teams all of a sudden hold all the aces in this position.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Don’t discount some pressure on clubs from the SPFL to say such crap. He clearly understands if he criticizes the SPFL, he is critiquing the group of people who will decide if Raith get a promotion or not, and not getting promoted will result in more cuts to a club he loves. Underlings, and club managers are very much so, say things much differently in private than in public because they know an honest opinion is the last thing the boss wants to hear.

It's not the spfl board voting it's the clubs. Noone is going to give a fly feck if he comes out and says we're voting because that's what's best for raith.

1 minute ago, stevoraith said:

So the smaller clubs get their prize money without having to vote on declaring champions etc now (fair way to do it I agree).

But they still want clarity now on what the league is going to look like next season- they don't want to kick the can months down the road.

Most of the smaller teams will want to know what league they will be playing in and who else will be in that league so they can budget accordingly.

And more imprtantly, once you have that tied down, you can then work on contingency plans for what to do if we can't restart on the nominal first day of the season.

It looks like this will go on for months yet, time would be better spent getting prmootion and relegation sorted ASAP and then you can get leagues sorted with plans for what you're going to do if you only have time for 27 games, or 18 games, or 9 games........

I still don't see hy you think the small teams all of a sudden hold all the aces in this position.

They dont normally know till may anyway so waiting a few weeks now and thrashing out some options is hardly going to change that. Virtually every other league in europe is going down that sort of road whilst we are the only one asking our clubs to decide on relegation and promotion right now.  But it must be all the other leagues that are wrong and not us.