League Reconstruction 20/21 season

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Was Budge not originally seen as a voice of reason in Scottish football and along with Dempster was seen as a refreshing female leader, now she is howling at the moon.

I think she was, you know.

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

Was Budge not originally seen as a voice of reason in Scottish football and along with Dempster was seen as a refreshing female leader, now she is howling at the moon.

Yes, both Budge and Dempster received a very fawning positive press despite both proving to be fairly incompetent in different ways.

5 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Indeed. I think this will be their fifth (5) relegation

By unwritten convention, I think you have to have conceded 7 (seven) goals before the number is written out inside brackets.

Perhaps relegations invoke a different convention.

43 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Yet all those had their very own particular skill set.

I'm not old enough to have seen Brogan.

Paul Wright from memory wasn't a technically brilliant player in terms of taking the ball down or spreading the play but what a finisher he was.

Grant had just about the lot. Just slower than a week in the jail. In some ways Callum Hendry reminds me a bit of a young Roddy, though Callum is a wee bit quicker. There was a Roddy goal in a 4-1 demolition job of Falkirk at Brockville that I can never forget, outside of the left foot, from the far left of the box. It was unreal.

O'Boyle, just another level. Why he played for Saints for so long in the First Division I'll never know. Could and should have played at a much higher level in his prime.

Scotland was another incredible talent, far too good for the league we were in. Lazy as hell, but a scorer of goals of any kind. Great to watch.

Sandaza, no doubting his ability. Just couldn't ever take to him for some reason.

All in all though, it's frightening that one of our main forwards now, in the top league, wouldn't get near our reserve side in various second level teams.

That's when you really know times have changed.

Paul Wright was great at taking the ball in with back to goal and either putting it out wide or swivelling and smashing it past the keeper, absolutely brilliant player. O'Boyle was also great at this too, George was more technical right enough but like Roddy was pretty slow. All 3 are far better than what we currently have.

50 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

All in all though, it's frightening that one of our main forwards now, in the top league, wouldn't get near our reserve side in various second level teams.

TBF I'm not exactly old, but I look back at squads that had Jason Scotland, Steven Milne and Peter MacDonald and feel like all three would comfortably start for Saints just now.

6 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Needing an 11/1 vote for any changes to the top flight means any proposal for reconstruction is in all likelihood a big non starter. Unless there's no change to the prize money structure which I think requires a lower amount of yes votes. (what's that all about?). 

The bigger question should be how the other SPL teams have found themselves in such a master / servant position in the first place. Let's change these restrictions before worrying about how many teams should be in any league. 

To the SPL teams, stand up for yourselves ffs. As has been suspected since any of us knew what football was, in the current setup, the big two in theory, but also in practice, can call the shots if they see fit. 

Of course every club will see things to suit themselves but there's got to be an acceptance that there's a bigger picture for the knock on effect of youth development and knock on benefits to the National teams. Playing teams 4 times a season isn't healthy whatever way you look at it. Do any other leagues throughout the world do the same? 

Sadly it's taken a Chinese national eating a bat, subsequent global pandemic and Hearts being bottom pre lockdown, to talk about making improvements to our national game, hopefully for the greater good and not just for the few. 

I'm sincerely hoping for the best but fearing it'll be a futile exercise. 

I think I must be getting a right whooshing here but I cannot see it...

Do any other leagues play 4 times per season?

In Europe there's a couple of dozen, another dozen maybe play 3 times a season. There are more leagues with X3 & X4 with various splits playing than there are playing X2.  In Central and South America there are more.

Edited by EdTheDuck

On 18/04/2020 at 14:21, bennett said:

Kilmarnock players even a hounded a manager who tried to culture them in the beautiful game, rather than just running around booting opponents. 

Rangers players also hounded oUt a manager who asked them to manage their diet better and stop eating so many chips and crisps. 

4 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

7/7 doesn’t work as it is open to last day manipulation as per the famous W Germany v Austria game - that’s why all games kick off at same time on last day

After 32 games you set the final set of fixtures so that 7th in the top half and 8th in the bottom half have their free week on the final day. Which means that all you're losing in 99% of scenarios is a dead rubber. It's absurd that some people genuinely think that having two clubs sit out a matchday ('resting the squad') twice per campaign is unworkable, to the point that they think playing fully four extra rounds of games in a dogshit bottom half is the default solution instead.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

To listen to Budge you'd think reconstruction was a proposal to save mankind. It's only relegation. It happens to many clubs every single season.

When was the last time a team was relegated with 24 points to play for?

It's never happened before.

That is why it is unfair.  

2 hours ago, ftk said:

By George I've got it!

Top league of 16 play each other twice.

Top 4 play again twice for title.

Bottom 4 play again twice for relegation.

Middle split into 2 leagues of 4 for a
European spot.

36 games. 4 sacred old firm games. (probably)

Everybody's a winner emoji4.png

Except for 3rd and 4th who miss out on European qualification to teams that finish below them. They could be sitting clear in those positions and deliberately lose a few games to drop down into the euro places.

4 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Guess what? Coronavirus was not put on this Earth just to f**k over Hearts.

10 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

The last time that the Scottish national league season wasn't completed - with no less than 66 old points left to play for - several top flight clubs were summarily papped into a lower tier upon its restart despite not even being in a relegation spot. Count yourselves lucky then if the SPFL doesn't punt your club and its nauseating owner into the Lowland League m8.

Spoiler

With true establishment clubs like Morton being elevated in their place.

Oh it makes me feel like singing the blues - Page 11 - Scottish ...

Edited by vikingTON

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

After 32 games you set the final set of fixtures so that 7th in the top half and 8th in the bottom half have their free week on the final day. Which means that all you're losing in 99% of scenarios is a dead rubber. It's absurd that some people genuinely think that having two clubs sit out a matchday ('resting the squad') twice per campaign is unworkable, to the point that they think playing fully four extra rounds of games in a dogshit bottom half is the default solution instead.

It’s not absurd it’s a better solution taking everything into account

2 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Correct, it seems to target the lungs.

Fair play, good answer! ;)

It's clearly fucked everyone, there are of course lives beyond this tiresome debate which really should put it into perspective the whole process.

Is it unlucky, in a footballing context, that Hearts happened to land on Mayfair just as someone put a hotel down on it? Of course it is, but to trot out the unfair line repeatedly is just ignoring the simple facts of the matter. I'd say that this stance, combined with Budge's comments, have lost most sympathy any other supporter would have. Except for some Rangers fans who just see this as a means to an end and care little whether Hearts are relegated or not.

1 minute ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

It’s not absurd it’s a better solution taking everything into account

It is absolutely absurd to play four full rounds of games extra among bottom feeders rather than telling an 7th/8th placed midtable jobber outfit to sit out one weekend in May and start their holidays early.