League Reconstruction 20/21 season

Guest DAVIDB69
I think the goalposts have been changed maybe not for the tarts but for the jags and below,if the league season doesn't start until October the question should be can they play the play off games.
If they're still looking to play the Scottish cup semis and final for me there is not much difference for the play offs.

Resuming the Scottish cup is to get Celtic a treble nothing more , if they had exited they were be no talk of the Scottish cup resuming

2 minutes ago, steelmen said:

There is a world of difference between finishing the cup and the play offs.

Teams deserve to know the league they are going to be in well in advance. Look at what happened when Dundee (?) took Rangers place when they were liquidated and we refused to allow sevco into the SPL. They were horrible that season and I’m sure it was partly down to being unable to plan properly not knowing what league they would be in.

The brora v Kelty v Brechin  for me you can do the same with Stranraer and thistle the fact that the league doesn't start gives this window.

33 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I think the goalposts have been changed maybe not for the tarts but for the jags and below,if the league season doesn't start until October the question should be can they play the play off games.
If they're still looking to play the Scottish cup semis and final for me there is not much difference for the play offs.

Not quite sure what play offs have to do with Hearts and Partick

3 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Don’t agree with you but I’ll give you Brora and kelty and Brechin. Stranraer and thistle weren’t in play off positions. So who are they playing?

Celtic Colts...

10 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Resuming the Scottish cup is to get Celtic a treble nothing more , if they had exited they were be no talk of the Scottish cup resuming

That seems like a buy in to the OF* thinking that everything's about them. As a supporter of a so called 'diddy' team, I would at least like my side to have the opportunity to see out the remaining SC fixtures if this is safe and practicable. It's improbable but not impossible that a side other Celtic could win the competition.

5 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Don’t agree with you but I’ll give you Brora and kelty and Brechin. Stranraer and thistle weren’t in play off positions. So who are they playing?

For the Jags it would be Falkirk or Airdrie,for stranraer it would be Edinburgh city or Elgin.

That is utter nonsense. The SFA want the cup to go ahead because they can't afford the hit of not having around 140-150k fans buying tickets for the three remaining games. The clubs remaining in it will all be in line for around half a million each just from the gate receipts from the semi finals. Cancelling it means refunding the sponsor and broadcasters.

32 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

For the Jags it would be Falkirk or Airdrie,for stranraer it would be Edinburgh city or Elgin.

What are you on about? 

Partick were not in a playoff spot; Queen Of The South were. Ditto Stranraer; it was Forfar who were in the playoff spot. 

So QOS would be in a playoff game with Montrose whilst Airdrie played Falkirk, with the two winners then going head to head. Forfar would have been playing Cowdenbeath whilst Edinburgh City played Elgin, again followed by the two winners fighting it out for a place in League 1. 

All those games would be two legged affairs, usually. 

Playing 12 fixtures, involving travelling home and away, would be more complicated than 3 fixtures all at Hampden. 

57 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The brora v Kelty v Brechin  for me you can do the same with Stranraer and thistle the fact that the league doesn't start gives this window.

So you want to cherry pick which play off matches get played and which others are simply ignored. The Championship/Premiership play offs can’t be played due to the Premiership (hopefully) starting on 1st August, but it’s ok to play the other divisions play offs. That would work.

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

What are you on about? 

Partick were not in a playoff spot; Queen Of The South were. Ditto Stranraer; it was Forfar who were in the playoff spot. 

So QOS would be in a playoff game with Montrose whilst Airdrie played Falkirk, with the two winners then going head to head. Forfar would have been playing Cowdenbeath whilst Edinburgh City played Elgin, again followed by the two winners fighting it out for a place in League 1. 

All those games would be two legged affairs, usually. 

Playing 12 fixtures, involving travelling home and away, would be more complicated than 3 fixtures all at Hampden. 

That's why I used the Brora v Kelty v Brechin as an example this is possible in the time frame available.

3 hours ago, Bose said:

Two things on Naismith.

Didn’t he run away from Sevco? That kind of smacked of self interest methinks.

And Naisy, if you weren’t so shit it wouldn’t have happened to you. 

Naismith always was a w****r

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Indeed, there is never any credible solution offered.

You can't just brand everything a shambles because the outcome doesn't suit you.

I remember listening to Sportsound at the very start of this, before any decisions had been taken and I think it was Darryl Broadfoot who went through just about every scenarios i.e. null and void, ending the leagues, and for every single outcome there was huge barriers. I remember thinking then that the chaos we've seen would definitely happen because there was simply no answer that avoided some raging clubs. 

Whilst the process has been extremely painful, I'd say the underlying result is as good as we could have hoped:

- Leagues settled, European places decided

- Settlement with BT and Sky over previous TV deals

- preservation of new Sky deal, including giving clubs the right to stream BCD games

- Football starting again in August

- Clubs got access to prize money relatively early, were able to at least manage their way through the summer, make decisions regarding player contracts etc etc

- Agreement on how to not completely mothball the lower leagues next season

- A managed return to training scheme that has so far been successful, whilst we still don't have a set in stone return to football date.

- A possibility of the Scottish cup being completed

- An agreed return for the Betfred cup

I think broadly the results above are pretty decent given the unprecedented circumstances. There is work to be done, sponsorship is key in the coming weeks and we'll see how BCD games go but to call the entire thing a shambles is unfair.

There are clearly some significant lessons to be learned, however.

Are you on the SFA list of potential arbitrators, and if not, can you get yourself on there asap?

If Budge firmly believes that its for the benefit of Scottish football to have less teams, shes more than welcome to fold Hearts altogether. One less club to worry about and the rest of scottish football can see if it works or not

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Are you on the SFA list of potential arbitrators, and if not, can you get yourself on there asap?

Ha, I just find it bizarre that it seems to be quite a mainstream view that the SPFL have shown absolutely zero leadership throughout (Hiya Tom). It just isn't true.

If we start playing football again on 1 August, in front of crowds not too long after and have 42 clubs still standing at the end of it then they've done not too bad.

I don't want to champion them too much as I have plenty of criticisms but folk like Naismith clearly don't really know what they're on about.