League Reconstruction 20/21 season

52 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think the split position is mutable. if Hearts are in the top section then it'll be the same each season, if not Budge is demanding a temporary reconstruction of the split to fit whichever position they are in the league. If this involves an odd number of game then she'd demanding on the days that Hearts are not playing they are allowed a "glamour friendly" in Dubai.

Is there really anywhere outside Scotland where a friendly againt Hearts would be seen as "glamorous"? Come to that, are there any places within Scotland?

28 minutes ago, stepek 4 tellys said:

Accies chairman has reiterated the board are against a temporary restructuring and their preferred approach is a 14 team top flight. He also made some interesting points re closed doors games, in so much as it could lead to financial disaster for clubs, more so, the so called "big" teams.

So who makes the final decision on this?  Is it the 42 clubs, the 12 premier clubs or the reconstruction committee?

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm not, it's clear you have no desire to help Hearts. But that (and Partick and Stranraer) is why these talks are taking place.

So we have a process that from the very outset has a goal of protecting clubs from relegation, all in the midst of the biggest financial crisis the Scottish game is likely to have ever seen. It is not circumstances to be making long term decisions.

A bigger league (that I tentatively support too btw) comes with a number of complex factors to consider. My gut feeling is that we'll put a lot of time and effort into this and achieve nothing, because we'll never get consensus on a long term plan.

Going by different soundbites there appears to be a level of recognition that relegation is unfair and that a temporary fix to resolve that is palatable. If so, then get it done and start getting plans in place to be playing football again. Then we can start talking longer term league restructuring. 

As to your last point, you can't guarantee that and I actually disagree.

….says who?

Certainly not the Hamilton chairman.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/doesnt-sit-right-hamilton-chairman-believes-league-reconstruction-save-hearts-2551225

Edited by btb

26 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

So who makes the final decision on this?  Is it the 42 clubs, the 12 premier clubs or the reconstruction committee?

It depends if the money changes whether its a 75% vote or there is a requirement for 11-1 premier clubs - iirc @craigkillie posted the exact scenario earlier.

Its not those in bold, they just come up with the fairy story / unicorn idea that the clubs will vote on.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

True, but assuming it's all agreed in advance and all games are completed then it's much fairer than calling it mid season.

If relegation didn't cause such huge financial issues (on top of what's already going on) then I'd be saying Hearts, Partick etc should just accept their footballing fate and enjoy relegation, but we're talking an existential threat being imposed on them.

Shite.

Who are last team that went bust because they were relegated?

Reconstruction: Scottish League Two clubs back 14-14-14

_93218177_kheredine.jpg

By Kheredine Idessane

BBC Scotland

Scottish League Two clubs have agreed to back a 14-14-14 structure - meaning any other reconstruction plan would almost certainly falter if they do.

A 15-strong group met twice last week to begin talks over potential changes to the current 12-10-10-10 model.

Should the SPFL remain at 42 clubs and prize money distribution stay the same, any plan would need 75% support.

But no other proposal would get the 15 votes needed in the bottom two tiers if the League Two clubs vote as planned.

The picture shifts slightly if the number of clubs was to be boosted by the introduction of Highland League champions Brora Rangers and Lowland League equivalents Kelty Hearts.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52439324

Looks interesting. I would be delighted with that, so long as the split isn't 7/7. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Those are just the ones off the top of my head - I'm not sure if other clubs have stated their positions publicly.

Theyve not actually said anything this time around, or ever publicly I think, but local knowledge has Geoff and Steve Brown telling people they're against the top flight expanding in any form.

2 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

How can we even begin to discuss reconstruction when we don't know how many clubs will survive? The priory should be getting the season up and running in late July/early August with spectators. A commitment to doing so, based on the current format, would stop clubs going to the wall needlessly.

They can't give that commitment because it won't be up to them.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

So we have a process that from the very outset has a goal of protecting clubs from relegation, all in the midst of the biggest financial crisis the Scottish game is likely to have ever seen. It is not circumstances to be making long term decisions.

Or rather the twin goals of protecting clubs, who might have stayed up, from relegation but also not denying other clubs promotion who didn’t have time to secure it.

Temporary reconstruction allows both to be granted the benefit of the doubt in these extraordinary circumstances.

Whether that’s sufficient justification is moot because of course the realpolitik dictates that a solution that fucks over a few will find more support than one that inconveniences many 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I'm hesitant to say these are fixed positions but the Premiership clubs I've read comments from seem to be open minded with regards reconstruction but against a temporary "quick fix" along the lines Budge seems to be angling for.

Spot on.

It is obvious Budge is only interested in saving Hearts from relegation. After what she hope's will be a better year next year, if it happens, she will demand a smaller top league and a greater slice of the TV money.

There is only one fair outcome finish the league. That not being the cases relegate the bottom team and sort out a compensation package.

11 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m not totally against 14 14 14 but I think it’s a bit shit for Brora and Kelty Hearts.

Closing the shop is the main goal for League Two sides.

Theyll all vote for 14/14/14 with the pyramid closing probably. They effectively all get promoted to one tier below Championship, while getting rid of relegation.

37 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m not totally against 14 14 14 but I think it’s  a bit shit for Brora and Kelty Hearts.

Is this proposal a permanent reconstruction or are Hearts going to get their way and revert back to the current in a few years time and is there any change in the future relegation from the lower division?

3 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

Is this proposal a permanent reconstruction or are Hearts going to get their way and revert back to the current in a few years time and is there any change in the future relegation from the lower division?

Are you reading any of the posts?

Just now, honestman54 said:

I am but must have missed it.  All I can find is Hamilton wanting it to be permanent but Hearts not.

No-one knows, the proposals haven't been published yet. People are speculating and discussing the merits of possible proposals Budge and her committee come up with.

1 hour ago, Green Day said:

It depends if the money changes whether its a 75% vote or there is a requirement for 11-1 premier clubs - iirc @craigkillie posted the exact scenario earlier.

Its not those in bold, they just come up with the fairy story / unicorn idea that the clubs will vote on.

How can the money side of things not change?

14 teams in each  league = an inevitable squabble over the disbursement of available funds.

I'll be amazed if this gets the go ahead, though on the one hand I'm truly delighted clubs outwith the top flight have actually came up with a collective idea (whatever you actually think about the merits of it) rather than waiting to see what crumbs the OF and anybody else under their pinny throw them. 

Who knows whether it'll turn out for the better.

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

How can the money side of things not change?

14 teams in each  league = an inevitable squabble over the disbursement of available funds.

I'll be amazed if this gets the go ahead, though on the one hand I'm truly delighted clubs outwith the top flight have actually came up with a collective idea (whatever you actually think about the merits of it) rather than waiting to see what crumbs the OF and anybody else under their pinny throw them. 

Who knows whether it'll turn out for the better.

I don't really care which proposal they select, but you're right that's a bit hurdle. I

Next and slightly further down the line, 3x14 suits present L2, they are 2 promotions from the big time, but it works in reverse. Say St Mirren have a shite season, get relegated then struggle to acclimatise in the middle division, next thing you know, bottom division.

About half the top tier will think about that and reject it.

24 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't really care which proposal they select .............

I'm far from convinced that this committee will be able to agree on any single proposal. 

If one party is determined that the new set up has to be temporary and one (likely more than one) party is only interested in agreeing to permanent change, surely we have an impasse.

And Hearts get relegated.