League Reconstruction 20/21 season

47 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

The biggest thing being we’re not aiming to enter and exit the supermarket at the same time. 

Although with no boozers open / in business, at least the usual queues of bevvy merchants at Easter Road at 2.55 might be spaced out a wee bit?

8 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Hearts and Hibs could in theory just about get all their season ticket holders in were they to stage their matches at Murrayfield.

I have heard this theory, but it would fall over due to the emergency evacuation procedures which would require people to congregate together through the exits much closer than is presently safe.

Think its a non starter.

Spoiler

You should be alright though, as Hearts will probably start off again playing at the Meadows Billie Eilish Lol GIF by BRIT Awards

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

But we're going to have to get used to queuing like that for pretty much everything for the foreseeable future, so socially distanced queuing will become more normal to people.

Football opening back up would be in that context, not the current one where folk are only doing it in certain specific places.

How early would your first entries need to turn up ?  

i turn up at 1.30 Walk calmly to my allocated seat(which likely won’t have been chosen by me) it’s half 2 and need a piss. My row now has another 20 people in it.  Where do they all go to give me 2 meters to get out without encroaching on the space of someone else?  Once we figure that out and I get down to the concourse how do you arrange movements to allow me to get to the toilets without interfering with those still coming in? A lot of grounds that can be a pain a pain in the arse without the worries over social distancing.  We would need someone controlling numbers entering the toilets.  

Turnstiles are often grouped together so we’d not only be using maybe 1/4 to give distance. It’s going to be an absolute nightmare to manage. And even if we do can we really expect there to not be significant crowd movements if there’s a controversial decision or a last minute derby winner?   Are people going to claim to be part of the same household so they can sit with those they have done for years? 

Edited by parsforlife

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If we're at the stage of generally being out and about but still socially distancing then we're going to have these problems everywhere.

Not all of them, some are very football specific. The issues elsewhere will be at afar smaller scale, and even then they’ll need overcome before they can open.  

we’ve seen some places that initially closed re-open with extra measures put in.  

If we get to a point pubs/restaurants are able to open with reduced capacity and extra measurements without a notable impact in infection rates then we can maybe talk about managing entry to football grounds. 

9 minutes ago, Green Day said:

I have heard this theory, but it would fall over due to the emergency evacuation procedures which would require people to congregate together through the exits much closer than is presently safe.

Think its a non starter.

I wasn't putting it forward as a serious suggestion

Actuallly getting people out of a football stadium at full time while staying 2m apart is a far bigger obstacle and than trying to get them in even if there isn't an emergency

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

If you can leave and enter supermarkets or any other public space using a queue, why not a football ground?

Probably because it’s football fans we’re talking about here. You honestly think that all fans will sit/stand in a space with 2 metres all round them and not move from this when there is a goal, sending off, contentious refereeing decision. It’s a ridiculous idea.

2 hours ago, Raphael said:

Still to this day the personfication of tinpot.

Wading in with big words that you can neither use correctly nor spell is also fairly tinpot, tbh.

I'd suggest that 'quintessence' would have been the apposite choice in that sentence. 

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

But we're going to have to get used to queuing like that for pretty much everything for the foreseeable future, so socially distanced queuing will become more normal to people.

Football opening back up would be in that context, not the current one where folk are only doing it in certain specific places.

I would have thought that the much bigger issue is thousands of people travelling to and from games on public transport. There's only so much transmission that can occur with fans sitting in their seats, occasionally going to the pisser, entering and exiting the stadiums provided its marshalled strictly. 

I can see us getting to the point where games are played behind closed doors if the capacity to test the public significantly improves. Obviously that might only be from next year onwards.

Interesting thought but if next season starts very late then its possible that leagues would only play half the normal fixtures. In that context being relegated would not be such an issue as it might be otherwise. 

Of course the main difference between supermarkets and football is visits to the supermarket are essential. Going to football games is not.

Therefore it is completely irrelevant to compare the two.

Until there is an effective vaccine we shouldn’t and I hope won’t be allowing non essential mass gatherings of people. Even the opening of non essential shops and restaurants aren’t comparable to a football match. You could go to either of the former and social distance quite easily, it’s much more difficult to do that in a football stadium.

Football is not essential, so the comparisons to supermarkets don't stack up for me.

Also, supermarkets don't typically have thousands of people wanting to arrive, leave, or gather in concourses at broadly the same time.  You could maybe mitigate that with reduced capacities at some grounds, but not across the whole SPFL.

Football with crowds wont come back until either a vaccine or at least an effective treatment is found.  Given that neither are guaranteed, certainly not in any kind of foreseeable future, we won't be going to football for a very long time.  And we shouldn't be either. 

Edited by CALDERON

7 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

To paraphrase -

"First of all, lets do the most important thing of saving my club (and another couple of diddies), then we can get on with thinking about the other stuff like playing matches, saving lives etc etc"

image.png.c32985b70f40e105750f42df04a519d5.png

38 minutes ago, Lex said:

Of course the main difference between supermarkets and football is visits to the supermarket are essential. Going to football games is not.

Therefore it is completely irrelevant to compare the two.

Until there is an effective vaccine we shouldn’t and I hope won’t be allowing non essential mass gatherings of people. Even the opening of non essential shops and restaurants aren’t comparable to a football match. You could go to either of the former and social distance quite easily, it’s much more difficult to do that in a football stadium.

13 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Football is not essential, so the comparisons to supermarkets don't stack up for me.

Also, supermarkets don't typically have thousands of people wanting to arrive, leave, or gather in concourses at broadly the same time.  You could maybe mitigate that with reduced capacities at some grounds, but not across the whole SPFL.

Football with crowds wont come back until either a vaccine or at least an effective treatment is found.  Given that neither are guaranteed, certainly not in any kind of foreseeable future, we won't be going to football for a very long time.  And we shouldn't be either. 

The point being missed here, despite me making it very clearly earlier, is that in 4/5/6 months time we will most likely be back doing lots of things that aren't essential whilst social distancing. I was therefore pointing out that our attitudes to queuing, contact with people and everything else associated with it will likely have changed a great deal in that period. It therefore makes sense to try to discuss the possibilities of holding football matches with reduced capacities at some point in the future rather than shouting it down with "IT'S NOT ESSENTIAL".

Just now, craigkillie said:

The point being missed here, despite me making it very clearly earlier, is that in 4/5/6 months time we will most likely be back doing lots of things that aren't essential whilst social distancing. I was therefore pointing out that our attitudes to queuing, contact with people and everything else associated with it will likely have changed a great deal in that period. It therefore makes sense to try to discuss the possibilities of holding football matches with reduced capacities at some point in the future rather than shouting it down with "IT'S NOT ESSENTIAL".

I understand that, but in reality, how much of those "non essential" things will involve thousands of people going to the same place, at the same time, for the same purpose?

I'd love to be wrong, but I really cant see us being in the position this year where even a heavily reduced crowd of 15k at Parkhead for example, would be allowed to congregate in the same place at the same time - no matter how much social distancing is involved.

Football stadiums are not built with social distancing in mind - you could get away with it in terms of reducing seating capacity, but concourses, toilets etc will make this incredibly difficult to monitor and police,  surely?

This all before we look at the fact that football is a contact sport - and we are assuming we can get to a point where a minimum of 11 players per club will manage to negotiate football matches without any transmission of the virus.