Can You Tell Where It Is Yet?

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

I didn't click the link, I like to try to work them out even if others have got them. I now have, and it says it doesn't work on my browser anyway.

That feckin' polar bear one is driving me crazy now.

Hudson 6.jpg

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Gotcha. https://goo.gl/maps/TcdoHLx4d2asonBr7

Did you know how many places look like this when you set this? I was beginning to hate you there.

Also, Canada is big.

Well done.  Yes.  Canada is big.

The big clue was the polar bears but most of the far north (i.e. the Territories) have little or no Street View.

The other clue was the sign on the supermarket door saying Google Maps is coming to town.  I blanked out most of the name but left the letters "Sa".  If you had decided on Nunavut then there are only 25 settlements and only one starting with an "S".  If you google "Nunavut San" this is the first name to come up.  If I had left three letters that would have been too much.

Also, it has a similar sunrise and sunset to Coupar Angus, since it has a similar latitude.

Hudson Sanikiluaq.jpg

Hudson Flag.jpg

Nunavat.jpg

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Well done.  Yes.  Canada is big.

The big clue was the polar bears but most of the far north (i.e. the Territories) have little or no Street View.

The other clue was the sign on the supermarket door saying Google Maps is coming to town.  I blanked out most of the name but left the letters "Sa".  If you had decided on Nunavut then there are only 25 settlements and only one starting with an "S".  If you google "Nunavut San" this is the first name to come up.  If I had left three letters that would have been too much.

Also, it has a similar sunrise and sunset to Coupar Angus, since it has a similar latitude.

Hudson Sanikiluaq.jpg

Hudson Flag.jpg

Nunavat.jpg

There's obviously been a project to do streetview in the far north - I thought I'd found it a couple of time. Cambridge Bay looked promising for a while. I couldn't make out the two letters, it was too blurry on my screen. I didn't think of latitude for Coupar Angus, I looked into explorers and stuff. That committee room made me look into local government but that drew a blank too - though it shouldn't have. Glad I got it in the end.

19 minutes ago, GordonS said:

There's obviously been a project to do streetview in the far north - I thought I'd found it a couple of time. Cambridge Bay looked promising for a while. I couldn't make out the two letters, it was too blurry on my screen. I didn't think of latitude for Coupar Angus, I looked into explorers and stuff. That committee room made me look into local government but that drew a blank too - though it shouldn't have. Glad I got it in the end.

The committee room is the mayor's office. Johnnie Cookie presiding.

It is located on Flaherty Island, named after the film-maker Robert J Flaherty who made the film Nanook of the North.

On the internet, I was surprised to find that there was a settlement  on such as a remote island in the middle of Hudson Bay.  I suspect you were not looking that far south.

21 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

No joy on this one?

Any clues on this one at all @Tight John McVeigh is a tit I'm only concluding that it may be in one of the places that @GordonS is suggesting and with the sun (setting) in the picture that the line of columns is in an approximate North West - South East line. but I'm buggered to know where it is :lol:

Any clues on this one at all [mention=40427]Tight John McVeigh is a tit[/mention] I'm only concluding that it may be in one of the places that [mention=66443]GordonS[/mention] is suggesting and with the sun (setting) in the picture that the line of columns is in an approximate North West - South East line. but I'm buggered to know where it is :lol:

It’s another huge piece of miss direction, Similar to the places before in Vancouver, Ba Na and Shanghai. Maybe too obscure to be fair.

30 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

It’s another huge piece of miss direction, Similar to the places before in Vancouver, Ba Na and Shanghai. Maybe too obscure to be fair.

Wahay!

image.thumb.png.6da3c78f35629b0f7d692dd0bb2cb61f.png

https://www.google.com/maps/@14.0527567,120.4953904,3a,75y,227.07h,87.67t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipOAM-xmYtW-uSBTTLYPoIQg1Uc3y9j636CQPmXd!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOAM-xmYtW-uSBTTLYPoIQg1Uc3y9j636CQPmXd%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya117.56832-ro-0-fo100!7i7168!8i3584

5 minutes ago, greendot said:

Impressive.  I do sometimes wonder unless someone's been to a place how is anyone able to guess a place which could literally be anywhere on earth!

Tried loads of places in Japan first, finally widened my google search to "greek themed beach asia".

Impressive.  I do sometimes wonder unless someone's been to a place how is anyone able to guess a place which could literally be anywhere on earth!
There are three broad types of puzzle here. The type in the OP is one you could work out with deductive reasoning but little knowledge. Then there are those that require a bit of googling. The third is general knowledge, where you're very unlikely to get it unless you already knew it. A bit of crossover between some of them of course.

This is my favourite non-football thing ever on P&B.