Scottish championship team of the year /BBC picker

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:
The goalkeepers in this division are largely an embarrassment to the profession. A mere ten or so year ago you had the likes of Rab Douglas, Tomas Cerny & Michael McGovern strutting their stuff and now the best of the division is apparently Mark Ridgers, Benjamin Siegrist & Ross Doohan. Tragic state of affairs.

Doohan is over-rated by Ayr fans IMO but he's still a good goalkeeper. Ridgers has looked really good any time I've seen him. McCrorie is still raw but he's probably the best goalkeeper I've seen in a QoS jersey for a long time. I fully expect he'll be Scotland No. 1 in the not too distant future.

Said that when he was at Morton.  Just sort of dominated his area and gave you a sense that he definitely wasn't Sam Ramsbottom. \raw and made mistakes but clearly had great potential.

The pathway for McCrorie at Rangers looks clearer whereas Doohan is very unlikely to be in Celtics immediate plans. I think he’ll join us next season again either on loan or permanently.

McGregor probably only has a year left at Rangers, maybe two. After that I would imagine McCrorie will at least be challenging for the number 1 jersey.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

McCrorie is still raw but he's probably the best goalkeeper I've seen in a QoS jersey for a long time. I fully expect he'll be Scotland No. 1 in the not too distant future.

Possibly. He is certainly a terrific prospect. He will probably go on to play for Scotland but he will need to nail down a starting spot somewhere top level first. Is he better than Zander Clark was when here? Maybe, not totally convinced, he is certainly there or thereabouts though. Better than Jamie MacDonald? Not quite for me but not sure if he qualifies for "in a long time" (12 yrs ago?).

Rangers seem to have a handful of bang average English keepers as back up to McGregor. Wonder if they'll ditch a couple of Foderingham/Alnwick/Firth and have McCrorie as 2nd choice or try and get him another season on loan, maybe at a higher level, and bring him back a year later challenging for the #1 position.

I reckon if he got a season down in England or the SPL he'd be in the Scotland squad at the end of it.

Doohan won’t play for Celtic.

McCrorie is probably in a similar position to what mcgregor was at the start of his career. If he is going to be a regular at rangers and potentially move upwards from there then a season as clear first choice at a premiership club will give him a chance and after that he probably needs a bit of luck with managers and injuries/suspension to the established players in front of him.  If that happens the Scotland no 1 shouts may just happen.  More likelihood he’ll go on loan, have a reasonable but not remarkable season or 2. Get released and end up playing most of his career as a middle of the road premiership starter. 

It does seem particularly hard for young keepers to get a chance compared to outfielders. Can't get game time as a sub and managers are very wary of playing youngsters in goal. The three Scotland keepers in recent years have had a fair slice of luck to get established at bigger clubs. Marshall, McGregor and Gordon were flung in due to an injury crisis. Even then Marshall was ditched for Boruc and had to go down south to get his career back on track and McGregor only got his game time because Le Guen got sacked and that French haddie got dropped.

If Rangers had all their keepers available there's no way Gerrard would trust McCrorie ahead of Foderingham or Alnwick despite him being just as good.

6 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

It does seem particularly hard for young keepers to get a chance compared to outfielders. Can't get game time as a sub and managers are very wary of playing youngsters in goal. The three Scotland keepers in recent years have had a fair slice of luck to get established at bigger clubs. Marshall, McGregor and Gordon were flung in due to an injury crisis. Even then Marshall was ditched for Boruc and had to go down south to get his career back on track and McGregor only got his game time because Le Guen got sacked and that French haddie got dropped.

If Rangers had all their keepers available there's no way Gerrard would trust McCrorie ahead of Foderingham or Alnwick despite him being just as good.

McGregor getting a game ahead of Stefan Klos was criminal.

3 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

The goalkeepers in this division are largely an embarrassment to the profession. A mere ten or so year ago you had the likes of Rab Douglas, Tomas Cerny & Michael McGovern strutting their stuff and now the best of the division is apparently Mark Ridgers, Benjamin Siegrist & Ross Doohan. Tragic state of affairs.

Just going off FM09, you had Main, Douglas, Tuffey and Gallagher as the top keepers, all comfortably top flight keepers are the time IMO.

13 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I think McCrorie is well ahead of Alnwick. Foderingham I dont know but its irrelevant as he has alreasy been confirmed as going back down South when the season ends. I think McCrorie factually IS their number 2 for next season but they may decide to send him out for game tine in England or in the Premiership up here rather than sit on their bench. They can get Alnwick or someone else to do that. The answer probably depends on whethet McGregor has any fitness worries heading into next season. If he does McCrorie will go nowhere.

33 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The pathway for McCrorie at Rangers looks clearer whereas Doohan is very unlikely to be in Celtics immediate plans. I think he’ll join us next season again either on loan or permanently.

McGregor probably only has a year left at Rangers, maybe two. After that I would imagine McCrorie will at least be challenging for the number 1 jersey.

You just have to look at the other McCrorie to see how unlikely a young Scot breaking through at Rangers is.

They replaced him with Matt Polster, an abysmal no-mark American signed entirely because he was linked with Celtic. 

Possibly. He is certainly a terrific prospect. He will probably go on to play for Scotland but he will need to nail down a starting spot somewhere top level first. Is he better than Zander Clark was when here? Maybe, not totally convinced, he is certainly there or thereabouts though. Better than Jamie MacDonald? Not quite for me but not sure if he qualifies for "in a long time" (12 yrs ago?).
For me, yes. Clark has been one of my favourites in recent years as well. He'd probably be in my Top 3 actually. For all I was a big fan of his though, I never thought future Scotland No. 1. I can't really explain the differences but I just think there is something about McCrorie that says he's going to go on to bigger things.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Hard to pick a worst XI tbh considering a lot of the really really shite players hardly play. For example Henk Van Shaik is easily the worst player I’ve seen at Somerset this season but he was punted pretty soon after so I’m not sure he’d qualify. Ramsbottom is also Morton’s second choice goalie I think.

If I’m going on players I’ve seen against Ayr this season then,

Sam Ramsbottom

Steven Saunders
Troy Brown
Henk Van Shaik

Peter Pawlett
Lewis Kidd
Stuart Bannigan
Cameron Blues
Joe Cardle

Kenny Miller
Kris Doolan

Somerset was Van Schaik's only start, coming after a sub appearance against Queen of the South in the League Cup a week earlier. He was then mutual consented.

That 120 minutes was enough to get him voted in the worst team of the decade on the Morton forum.

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Somerset was Van Schaik's only start, coming after a sub appearance against Queen of the South in the League Cup a week earlier.

Ah. 3-1 up and cruising. Henk comes on, we lose two goals and need penalties to win. Just checked the game details and we had McAllister and Grant at centre back that day and that, somehow, was a far more solid defence partnership than anything including Van Schaik.

Quite easily the worst signing Morton have ever made.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

You just have to look at the other McCrorie to see how unlikely a young Scot breaking through at Rangers is.
They replaced him with Matt Polster, an abysmal no-mark American signed entirely because he was linked with Celtic. 

Polster is a right back, I don't think that was ever McCrorie's position. McCrorie's issue is that he's too soft to play centre-back and not good enough to play in midfield.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Polster is a right back, I don't think that was ever McCrorie's position. McCrorie's issue is that he's too soft to play centre-back and not good enough to play in midfield.

Has McCrorie not played his entire time at Portsmouth at right back?

I dont think Rangers have any clue where to play him, Polster was advertised as a utility player in terms of defence/midfield I'm sure.

Has McCrorie not played his entire time at Portsmouth at right back?
I dont think Rangers have any clue where to play him, Polster was advertised as a utility player in terms of defence/midfield I'm sure.

Aye he’s played RB despite Gerrard voicing his displeasure at it.

I don’t think he’s played RB in Scotland since he was at Dumbarton. Even when he was with us he played either CM or RM and was absolutely awful at CB. Rangers fans seemed to think him going to Portsmouth was a bad decision when they’ve already got better options in midfield.