Ann Budge - vote of no confidence

It wasn't that long ago that she was being touted as the best example of a modern club owner, the future was hers.

Fitba fans are a right fickle bunch.

7 hours ago, junglehenry said:

I wholeheartedly believe she has to go. 5 year plan, behind plan every year.

However, 

The question I am asking can FOH do something like this to relieve her of her position? The loan she has given has been repaid and more.

12million for a stand, 24 million now I believe and still NOT finished! Her brother, has the construction contract and was a 'carpenter' by trade.

Levein still at the club, won the square root of 0. John Murray Hearts chief scout still at the club not produced anyone of note for as long as I can remember. Her husband a non executive role with 1million going his way every year too! 

People laughing from hospitality down on Hearts fans who wanted Levein removed which almost caused a full scale riot.

Jobs for pals, john colquhouns Box Soccer implemented throughout the academy academy coaches who are students and never kicked a baw in their life. Those who have are robots and players still encouraged to play the way their taught.

Shes a vile human. Up there with Neil Lennon.

Oi - don't knock carpenters! Some have been known to perform miracles. Unfortunately this particular carpenter was only able to turn a £12m bill into a £24m bill.

Guest JTS98
42 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Given her comments about 'too many clubs', I'd call it understatement.

A bit strong.

You can disagree with her view on how many football clubs there should be in Scotland without finding her to be a vile human being.

9 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

A bit strong.

You can disagree with her view on how many football clubs there should be in Scotland without finding her to be a vile human being.

Debatable.

Advocating a terrible fate for clubs that mean a lot to people is pretty vile behaviour in my view. 

I'll endeavour to reject the sin, rather than the sinner of course, but then I'll need to start doing that for people like  Trump and Johnson too.  It's a tricky stance to adopt and maintain.

9 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

A bit strong.

How would you assess her then, or anyone else? She's expressed views that some on here find a bit heartless (pun unintended). She has pushed a course of action based entirely on self interest to the possible detriment of other clubs. There's suggestions of nepotism in the contracting at the stadium.

She seems quite unpleasant.

Guest JTS98
28 minutes ago, bennett said:

It wasn't that long ago that she was being touted as the best example of a modern club owner, the future was hers.

Fitba fans are a right fickle bunch.

Fickle indeed.

I don't think the problem is only the fickle nature of fans, I think it's amplified by the need for hysteria and black/white opinions. This has probably always existed, but Twitter and forums like this one obviously amplify that.

In real life I know some Hearts fans who still love Queen Ann and defend her to the hilt and I know some who absolutely hate her. I don't understand either group, but especially the haters. I see nothing she's done to deserve such vitriol.

Most Hearts fans, in my experience, and I know plenty, are in the middle. She got us out a huge hole, she's broadly been good for the club, but she's made big mistakes along the way and it's probably best that she moves on.

Those aren't the views that shout loudest on Twitter though.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

How would you assess her then, or anyone else? She's expressed views that some on here find a bit heartless (pun unintended). She has pushed a course of action based entirely on self interest to the possible detriment of other clubs. There's suggestions of nepotism in the contracting at the stadium.

She seems quite unpleasant.

There's a lot of ground to cover between a bit unpleasant and vile.

I think she's acknowledged herself that she's not really an out-and-out football person. This has shown in mis-steps she's made with Hearts fans in terms of comments she's made about Hibs and about the kind of club she wants in general.

She's not got much of an idea about football culture and that has been quite obvious. I disagree completely on her view on there being too many clubs. I think there's a case to be made that those clubs are currently organised in a poor structure and that many of them enjoy a protected status they do not deserve, but that's not the same thing.

Budge looks at that purely as a numbers game. She's not really a football person. Her naivety has been exposed on a number of occasions.

I don't think that makes her a vile human being. I'd argue thinking that it does suggests someone maybe needs to take a wee step back and think.

3 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

There's a lot of ground to cover between a bit unpleasant and vile.

I think she's acknowledged herself that she's not really an out-and-out football person. This has shown in mis-steps she's made with Hearts fans in terms of comments she's made about Hibs and about the kind of club she wants in general.

She's not got much of an idea about football culture and that has been quite obvious. I disagree completely on her view on there being too many clubs. I think there's a case to be made that those clubs are currently organised in a poor structure and that many of them enjoy a protected status they do not deserve, but that's not the same thing.

Budge looks at that purely as a numbers game. She's not really a football person. Her naivety has been exposed on a number of occasions.

I don't think that makes her a vile human being. I'd argue thinking that it does suggests someone maybe needs to take a wee step back and think.

I'd say she's just used to getting her way and is ruthless in trying to achieve that. It has probably worked elsewhere, but she has run in to equally unpleasant individuals in football. She's been shown up because she lost, that doesn't make her less unpleasant.

1 hour ago, Green Day said:

Exactly. IIRC, Stewart Milne started off as a joiner.

However, back to the chucklefest at Tynecastle - her brother (the guy draining the FoH cash from the new stand project) is also Hibs fan.

Montylaugh.png.648e9c9941fe22aadb0dc54ba1cf41b8.png

Whole family are Hibs fans, including her nephew (?) who's in charge of the fans bar. 

It is a chucklefest, I'll give you that.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'd say she's just used to getting her way and is ruthless in trying to achieve that. It has probably worked elsewhere, but she has run in to equally unpleasant individuals in football. She's been shown up because she lost, that doesn't make her less unpleasant.

You could apply that to pretty much anybody who's ever been successful or run their own business.

I think she's just naive.

She views football as a normal business. This has been shown time and again. Her desire to work with Hibs as 'partners' being a good example. She just looks at the number of clubs and sees it in a simplistic way. I can think of football club executives in Scotland who have endorsed or defended or profited from views a lot more vile than that.

I think even in the last few weeks her naivety has cost Hearts. I think, listening to what she said, that she genuinely expected the other clubs in the league to see that relegating a club at this stage is a bit off. It doesn't seem to have entered her mind until it was too late that that's not how football works and that absolutely nobody was going to allow another club's problems to move them to accept even a small cut in income for one season.

That was obvious to everyone looking in, but she seems to have been genuinely surprised by it. She got her strategy wrong and has cost Hearts again.

If you want to think she's vile because she thinks about the structure of fitba differently from you, then that's up to you. I can think of far more deserving cases though.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

You could apply that to pretty much anybody who's ever been successful or run their own business.

She views football as a normal business. This has been shown time and again. Her desire to work with Hibs as 'partners' being a good example. She just looks at the number of clubs and sees it in a simplistic way. I can think of football club executives in Scotland who have endorsed or defended or profited from views a lot more vile than that.

I think even in the last few weeks her naivety has cost Hearts. I think, listening to what she said, that she genuinely expected the other clubs in the league to see that relegating a club at this stage is a bit off. It doesn't seem to have entered her mind until it was too late that that's not how football works and that absolutely nobody was going to allow another club's problems to move them to accept even a small cut in income for one season.

That was obvious to everyone looking in, but she seems to have been genuinely surprised by it. She got her strategy wrong and has cost Hearts again.

If you want to think she's vile because she thinks about the structure of fitba differently from you, then that's up to you. I can think of far more deserving cases though.

Previous executives were vilified too, why should she be any different. Naivety can only be excused a couple of times. I doubt she's slow on the uptake. More likely wilfully ignorant and self serving.

Guest JTS98
4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Previous executives were vilified too, why should she be any different. Naivety can only be excused a couple of times. I doubt she's slow on the uptake. More likely wilfully ignorant and self serving.

This self-serving thing keeps coming up.

Can you name me a Scottish club who have recently, or ever, acted in a non-self-serving way?

She runs Hearts. She sees it as her job to speak for Hearts' interests.

I have absolutely no doubt there are plenty of people running Premiership clubs who would be all for cutting out some of the smaller clubs in the system from a business point of view. None of them would be so naive as to say so in public though.

Edited by JTS98

The bottom line is that she is fucking clueless. Long before the pandemic, her 'genuine fans' statement tipped plenty of us over the edge I reckon.

She shouldn't embarrass herself and the club further by taking any legal action against our demotion, but she should pick up the tab for our impending losses over the next couple of years. After the damage she has caused is repaired, she should then f**k off.

She will after all still 'own' 13% of the club.

5 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

This self-serving thing keeps coming up.

Can you name me a Scottish club who have recently, or ever, acted in a non-self-serving way?

She runs Hearts. She sees it as her job to speak for Hearts' interests.

I have absolutely no doubt there are plenty of people running Premiership clubs who would be all for cutting out some of the smaller clubs in the system from a business point of view. None of them would be so naive as to say so in public though.

She's in the frame now along with a few others, who else do you expect to be discussed? 

44 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

A bit strong.

She's the owner that Hearts deserve. Even many Hearts fans are now hoping for many clubs to go bust. 

12 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

The dismissive ignorance you outline, can very easily be characterised as vile.  No leap is required.

It's really a pretty weak moral defence of her to suggest that she's merely been wading into something vociferously and arrogantly, while having little grasp of it.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

She's in the frame now along with a few others, who else do you expect to be discussed? 

Has anyone else actually come out and said it? I'd be shocked if they did.

From the point of view of someone who doesn't understand football, getting rid of the smaller clubs makes perfect sense. The same number of fans divided among a smaller number of clubs. The same number of sponsors. The same amount of cash etc. That's what she thinks.

She's the kind of person who thinks that if Ayr United go bust, their fans will all go to watch Killie.

I don't think that makes her 'a vile human'. I think that makes her clueless.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The dismissive ignorance you outline, can very easily be characterised as vile.  No leap is required.

It's really a pretty weak moral defence of her to suggest that she's merely been wading into something vociferously and arrogantly, while having little grasp of it.

Two things.

Firstly, as I've mentioned in another post, she just sees it as a financial figure divided by a number of clubs. Shes thinks I'd go and watch Hibs if Hearts went bust, because she would.

Secondly, I think it's a perverse thing to call someone a vile human because they have a different view on how many clubs should be in Scotland to the one you hold.

I'd reserve phrases like that for bigots, racists, rapists etc.

But whatever you like.