The Dundee United Thread 22/23

16 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I think with the manager and squad we have we'll be alright. Not great, not terrible. Just...fine.

Surviving shouldn't be the goal though. We need to improve on last year.

I'm fairly confident that we can, but we do still need 2/3 quality additions to the squad.

I can't deal with another season of Harkes starting every week!

7 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I'm fairly confident that we can, but we do still need 2/3 quality additions to the squad.

Define "improve on last year".

If you mean the quality of football, I totally agree. If you mean the league position, that's going to be seriously tough.

TBH, I don't think the objectives should really change much from last season. Get in the Top 6 with a chance of Europe, and a decent run in one of the cups. The only addition is "don't embarrass ourselves in Europe"

I reckon we could get 10 points more this season and finish fifth, or even 6th. League position is out of our hands to a certain degree. You'd expect Aberdeen to challenge and at least one other. 

I'd class getting those 10 more points as improvement. 

22 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

If you mean the quality of football, I totally agree. If you mean the league position, that's going to be seriously tough.

TBH, I don't think the objectives should really change much from last season. Get in the Top 6 with a chance of Europe, and a decent run in one of the cups. The only addition is "don't embarrass ourselves in Europe"

1 minute ago, Big Shedboy said:

I reckon we could get 10 points more this season and finish fifth, or even 6th. League position is out of our hands to a certain degree. You'd expect Aberdeen to challenge and at least one other. 

I'd class getting those 10 more points as improvement. 

These two posts sum it up for me.  A couple of more decent signings, including a good defensive midfielder as has been suggested, and I think the objectives are possible.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs all have bigger budgets than us, so finishing in the European spots will always qualify as success to me.

But despite finishing 4th last year, we weren’t good. Others were just worse.

Plenty of room for improvement even if finishing ahead of Hearts is probably a pipe dream.

24 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs all have bigger budgets than us, so finishing in the European spots will always qualify as success to me.

But despite finishing 4th last year, we weren’t good. Others were just worse.

Plenty of room for improvement even if finishing ahead of Hearts is probably a pipe dream.

That's fair enough, hard to argue with it.

I have heard some United fans saying it's unacceptable if we finish lower than third this year. It's like they haven't actually been paying attention to anything for years

59 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

That's fair enough, hard to argue with it.

I have heard some United fans saying it's unacceptable if we finish lower than third this year. It's like they haven't actually been paying attention to anything for years

I find it hard to believe any Arab saying this other than tongue in cheek.

4 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I dont think we can afford them to be fair.

21 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I'd be astonished if we finished ahead of Hearts. 4th is possible, but we'll need to be a lot better than we were last season. I'd be happy with top 6 and a more watchable team. A decent cup run would be nice as well

I think this would be most Arabs take on things and with a couple of good signings (DM & AM, Shinnie & McGrath would be perfect) this should be achievable. Will need a bit of luck avoiding injuries as not much decent back up in the squad at the moment, Clark & Chalmers came on yesterday and offered very little. 

Aberdeen and Hibs will both be shite again this year. We need to factor that into expectations.
I have a feeling, based on very little, that Aberdeen will be pretty good this season. Hibs look an absolute gang right now though

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I'd be astonished if we finished ahead of Hearts. 4th is possible, but we'll need to be a lot better than we were last season. I'd be happy with top 6 and a more watchable team. A decent cup run would be nice as well

Fourth again would be brilliant.

Fifth and Europe still very good.

Sixth still acceptable.

Totally agree, 5th/6th would be np for me as long as there is continued progress in other areas, young team etc.

Margins are so fine in this shitey league format , seven points between 4th and 10th, a bit of mild luck gets you europe. Doncaster out etc.

11 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Can’t complain. Good pedigree.

But left back hardly a priority imho.

Yeah it seems a strange one.  I said previously that a balanced squad was important but we’re about to embark on the season with some omissions whilst strengthening positions that don’t desperately require strengthening.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah it seems a strange one.  I said previously that a balanced squad was important but we’re about to embark on the season with some omissions whilst strengthening positions that don’t desperately require strengthening.

Personally I think it's a great signing. I think United have a list of players that they are waiting to become available and can only conclude those signings when they're told they can.

I think this is why Gogic hasnt signed. I think Utd could have secured him weeks ago but are waiting for their number one defensive midfield target to become available.