The Dundee United Thread 22/23

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

"In terms of tempo and effort we played at, I thought we were the better side in the second half.

We had more of the ball 2nd half certainly. Then again Hibs got the 2nd killer goal they didn't manage at Easter Road and had sat back knowing they were home and dry.

Mellon's fooling no-one with that pish.

10 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

This applies to pretty much everyone watching  via virtual season tickets & PPV.

For my own sanity I think I may have to stop watching.

What is the impact going to be next season on season tickets and walk ups? 

I bought one this season for myself and my son as it was a way to support the club at this time with no refunds wanted or expected as a donation to the club. Many of us did the same. I'll do the same next season as I said elsewhere, either through masochism or stupidity or both. Having said that surely the club can see that many others may/will not.

There is no joy in watching the games, there are bits here and there that is good but that is it. It is mostly soul destroying, turgid, idea-less, meek, submissive, mistake ridden shite ( and that's the good bits)!

Its funny the difference a season makes, because we played Hibs in the cup last season and lets be honest we looked far far better in those games that we do now.

Having a season ticket at the moment or paying for PPV is  like the equivalent of paying someone to boot you in the balls every week (and sometimes twice a week). Its at the stage we know what is going to happen, we could write the script, yet we still hand over cash, legs apart waiting for the impact.

I've better things to do than watch that shite, like cleaning the house toilets, washing the kitchen floor and replacing the exhaust on my kit car out in the cold! All seem at this moment much more fun and enjoyable pastimes.

Don’t be like that there will be someone along shortly to tell that so long as we stay up this season everything else is irrelevant.

FWIW if things don’t improve soon I’m not sure we will stay up.

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I had one of the most enjoyable summer/Autumns I have had in years hillwalking in 2020 without the need to try and fit around football and ice hockey.

I'm 50/50 wether my weird Stockholm syndrome/ sense of obligation to these organisations mean I'll go back to basing my life around them or actually enjoy myself and have sport as an October to April thing. 

I suspect you will not be alone. The fact that we may be able to go to games again over a year since we last did might pull us out of the slumber, but could you imagine going to Tannadice in similar weather to today to watch that? Bad enough when you can watch it on TV in the house with the heating on and unlimited supply of (decent) tea on tap ( or other beverage of your choice)? Going to the game sounds like hell at the moment!☹️

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t be like that there will be someone along shortly to tell that so long as we stay up this season everything else is irrelevant.

FWIW if things don’t improve soon I’m not sure we will stay up.

I wouldn't mind if I had confidence we will. We are 9 points off bottom place Hamilton, have won only one more game all season than them and currently our form is 1 win in 11. Average that over the course of a season and it's 3.45 wins in total. That is our current form. We will be lucky to stay in the league if that continues. We are currently bottom of the form table.

3 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

I suspect you will not be alone. The fact that we may be able to go to games again over a year since we last did might pull us out of the slumber, but could you imagine going to Tannadice in similar weather to today to watch that? Bad enough when you can watch it on TV in the house with the heating on and unlimited supply of (decent) tea on tap ( or other beverage of your choice)? Going to the game sounds like hell at the moment!☹️

Oh no ill defintely be going on days like today. I'm choking for that first rage pint in Frews dissipating into chatting shit and stumbling home with a curry.

As opposed to now where I morosely drink whisky alone 

With the greatest respect, it just feels as though Dundee United aren't really a Premiership team. They're a bit lower league. It's the same with Hearts. The Premiership should be about consistent big-city teams like Motherwell and Kilmarnock.

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Oh no ill defintely be going on days like today. I'm choking for that first rage pint in Frews dissipating into chatting shit and stumbling home with a curry.

As opposed to now where I morosely drink whisky alone 

With me I'd be biting my tongue most of the game to avoid going full on in front of my wee lad, listening to him complain about us not being very good and asking to go home early. He is told he'll sit and suffer 90 minutes and enjoy it! 😂 Before wandering back to the car driving home and getting patronised by the other half if she's not on shift.

Although I suspect if we were at the games this.season I may have reached the sit with arms crossed, dejected in silence watching the way you look at someone that's let you down again!

Then do it all again next game. We fans aren't right are we ? 😂

8 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Is Louis Appere shagging Micky’s wife?

One of our best players last season and has the versatility to play up top or out wide, but is just sat getting splinters.

If he is Sporle must be filming it.

Our next seven games are:

Motherwell away

Ross County away

Livingstone home

Blue cheek away

Kilmarnock away

Green cheek home

Aberdeen home.

Looking at the table as it stands we will be lucky to be in tenth place come the split.

Whatever formation we have, we need to have 2 up front imo. One alone is utterly pointless as it isolates out best player who's got to contend with 2 centre halfs. Then their full backs have a field day as our wide players are shite.

2 up front means there's a small chance of the ball sticking when it invariably gets hoofed because we've no player that can play a forward pass to feet bar Fuchs.

Our centre halfs are gash so they need protecting, hence three centre backs or a sitting midfielder or two.

I'd chuck Chalmers, Mochrie and Aperre in for a bit of dynamism and youthful enthusiasm but I worry they would have their confidence crushed.

Benji

Smith Edwards Connoly Robson                      Butcher Neilson Fuchs

Mochrie   

Shankland  McNulty / Aperre

Maybe? f**k knows. Im probably as desperate as Mellon at this point.

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

One of our best players last season and has the versatility to play up top or out wide, but is just sat getting splinters.

I don't get it either. Shankland alone scored a few goals last season from excellent crosses from Appèrè.

Even recently when given a chance starting in the Aberdeen, St. Johnstone and Accies games he still got subbed in the latter two games, despite scoring in one. 

Last season in the cup game at Tannadice Neilson brings him on, he gets a cracking equaliser and is full of confidence going for a winner. Today, Mellon doesn't think he's worth chucking on at all despite none of our 3 forwards getting anywhere close the Hibs goal.

Baffling and infuriating.

21 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Whatever formation we have, we need to have 2 up front imo. One alone is utterly pointless as it isolates out best player who's got to contend with 2 centre halfs. Then their full backs have a field day as our wide players are shite.

2 up front means there's a small chance of the ball sticking when it invariably gets hoofed because we've no player that can play a forward pass to feet bar Fuchs.

Our centre halfs are gash so they need protecting, hence three centre backs or a sitting midfielder or two.

I'd chuck Chalmers, Mochrie and Aperre in for a bit of dynamism and youthful enthusiasm but I worry they would have their confidence crushed.

Benji

Smith Edwards Connoly Robson                      Butcher Neilson Fuchs

Mochrie   

Shankland  McNulty / Aperre

Maybe? f**k knows. Im probably as desperate as Mellon at this point.

Benji

Smith   Edwards   Connolly   Robson

Fuchs

Bolton                                       Sporle

Shankland

Clark/McNulty        Appere 

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

With the greatest respect, it just feels as though Dundee United aren't really a Premiership team. They're a bit lower league. It's the same with Hearts. The Premiership should be about consistent big-city teams like Motherwell and Kilmarnock.

Don't think this patter works when your side can't even beat them.

44 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

If Clark wasn’t our top scorer he wouldn’t be playing but because he is Mellon feels he needs to try to find a way to start Clark, McNulty and Shanks, due to this Appere chances are severely limited. McNulty being injured recently gave Appere a chance and he did ok imo and has been harshly left out since. 

14 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

If Clark wasn’t our top scorer he wouldn’t be playing but because he is Mellon feels he needs to try to find a way to start Clark, McNulty and Shanks, due to this Appere chances are severely limited. McNulty being injured recently gave Appere a chance and he did ok imo and has been harshly left out since. 

If Clark is played as a striker he will score goals.

We're in the rather unfortunate position of being saddled with a load of shite players on long, expensive contracts, a (possibly) shite manager, being penniless and having next to no income in the midst of a global pandemic.

The only positive is the points we've got on the board.

Bleak!

43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Benji

Smith   Edwards   Connolly   Robson

Fuchs

Bolton                                       Sporle

Shankland

Clark/McNulty        Appere 

Hiya Csaba, hiya pal.