The Dundee United Thread 22/23

5 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Scott Burns doesn't think so. 

I saw in another tweet he picked up an injury in training and will miss tonight's game though take that with a pinch of salt cos it's just some random United fan with a few thousand followers..

Yeah, he's been to get a scan in Edinburgh so Deniz starts tonight.

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If Siegrist stays, you'll be fine.

Cracking keeper, was delighted when I saw he was on the bench tonight. Couple of lucky 50-50 calls for us tonight but I thought we were much more attacking minded tonight than usual.

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

He absolutely won't though. He'll likely see that as a validation of playing 5 at the back. 

Shitfesting our way through the rest of this season with five at the back in order to hang on to our Premiership status is depressing enough.  The thought that it would then be repeated next season doesn’t bear thinking about.

I have no idea what Mellon’s game plan is any time I see us playing.

9 hours ago, Twinkle said:

If Mellon had any decency, he would walk after that

We are 6th in the league.

He has only been in charge for 6 months, during a global pandemic, and has hardly been able to bring anyone in or ship anyone out - I agree some of the football being played is painful to watch, but I'm just not buying that this is his fault and, even if it is his fault, I do not think we would be any better off giving the Chairman and Tony Asghar another chance at hiring a manager.  St Johnstone started the season in dreadful form, but Callum Davidson was given the time to turn it around and he has them in a Cup final - we could learn a thing or two from them.

Also, and I've made the point on the last few seasons' threads when people were calling for Laszlo and Neilson to leave - there is nothing to suggest that Dundee United will replace a sacked manager with a better manager.

9 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

He absolutely won't though. He'll likely see that as a validation of playing 5 at the back. 

Last night confirmed what most of us already knew - we have a Championship level squad in the Premiership.  If it proved anything, it was that Mellon has done miraculously well to get 28 points out of these players.

9 hours ago, meadowroadsaint said:

Couple of lucky 50-50 calls for us tonight but I thought we were much more attacking minded tonight than usual.

St Mirren were undoubtedly the better team, but the decisions really hurt us - I think the first penalty was soft but probably justified; but the second was poor.  I'm not convinced it hit Shankland's arm at all. 

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Shitfesting our way through the rest of this season with five at the back in order to hang on to our Premiership status is depressing enough.

Like it or not, that would be success.  As much as some Arabs have forgotten, we have just spent four seasons in the second tier and (despite our ridiculous wage bill) have no divine right to finish ahead of Hamilton, St Johnstone, Livingston etc...    

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Last night confirmed what most of us already knew - we have a Championship level squad in the Premiership.  If it proved anything, it was that Mellon has done miraculously well to get 28 points out of these players.

This^^^^^^ annoys the hell out of me. For example, Livingston played League 1 then Championship, then premiership in consecutive seasons. They are now in their 3rd season in the Premiership. 

The squad that played in the 1st season in the top league was mostly the same squad that played League 1. They still have players playing regularly that prior to Livi played lower lower league. 

Our current squad has 6 players with previous Premiership experience. 

2 players have captained Premiership teams previously.

3 players have previous top league experience in other leagues.

3 players have international caps.

11 have represented their country at U20/21 level.

The majority were signed while we were in the Championship on Premiership wages. I would expect a Championship squad to cost a lot less.

Now I'm not saying they are world beaters, cup semi finalist level squads BUT for the money spent on wages for each player, we should be expecting players of that alleged worth and experience to be able to pass a ball to a team mate, show desire to win, not require an age to make a decision, have a first touch that bounces 4-5 yards in front of them. I would also expect decent-ish decision making, an ability to compete, not continually make rookie defensive mistakes, move into space now and again, not be brushed off the ball with ease, hit a cross/corner/freekick regularly better than an U-12s team AND take to the pitch trying to win.

That's just the basics I expect that team to be able to do. All this "woe is us, we're only a Championship squad" would wash if the team wasn't built on Premiership money to be a Premiership team. All it does is help absolve those involved in the piss poor performances this season since Mellon got spooked, shat himself and went all out to try and not lose, by giving them an excuse for their underperforming.

I think the loss of the much maligned Butcher and Fuchs has been huge for us. The amount of times we lose the ball or an attack breaks down and the opposition just stroll through our midfield exemplifies this.  It simply wouldn’t happen to the same extent with either or both in there.

Daft amounts were paid in wages, probably through desperation, to get players in for Neilson's failed promotion attempt two years ago. Mellon is playing under these constraints now, over and above the uncertainty before the season started as to which division we'd be in. He has got players at the club which he'd probably prefer not to be stuck with, and that gives him leeway or an excuse if you want, along with the points gained to this stage.

Nonetheless, some of his decision making has been questionable. Harkes playing almost every week, giving Connolly a new contract, putting Clark in midfield, only making two substitutions last night, and there are more examples of perplexing choices. Feel free to add.