The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

These are the two major points that appear to be regularly overlooked by Arabs - Mellon has inherited a bloated, unbalanced squad that is largely devoid of Premiership-level quality, and he is hamstrung by a top-6 wage bill.  

Hamilton would have been relegated years ago, were it not for their home advantage.  Away from home, they're an absolute embarrassment.

2019/20 - Livi finished 5th with 8 home wins, teams in 3rd and 4th both had fewer.  Killie finished 8th with 6 home wins, teams in 6th and 7th both had fewer. 

2018/2019 - Livi finished 9th with 10 home wins, teams in 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th all had fewer.

Fair play to them all, they have an advantage over the other teams in the league and are using it to their gain.  Fans that pretend there is no correlation are, in my eyes, a bit odd.

Fully agree with you. Not even criticising them for taking advantage. As you say people claiming it doesn't  help in the face of evidence are odd 

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Show us the money!

I might be in a minority and I accept its hard to judge this early on, but he doesn't strike me as a kid that's going to reach top end of the Premier League level.

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

90% of this squad needs thrown in the bin. I know Mellon said he wanted to give the players a chance, "champions" blah blah, but thats clearly because he didnt have a choice as there wasn't enough to rebuild.

Only around 80% for me 🙄

Butcher should be given a chance at the back - if he can't improve us there, well, Fuchs does his job, but better.

Smith and Robson are for me are fullbacks capable of playing decently at this level, but that's about it, and Clark has proven himself as a good option to have.

Shankland and Benji will be off anyway, but ignoring the kids and loans, anyone else - I wouldn't care if they left.

Edited by ArabFC

Only 80% for me [emoji849]
Butcher should be given a chance at the back - if he can't improve us there, well, Fuchs does his job, but better.
Smith and Robson are for me are fullbacks capable of playing decently at this level, but that's about it, and Clark has proven himself as a good option to have.
Shankland and Benji will be off anyway, but ignoring the kids, anyone else - I wouldn't care if they left.

I'd be more bothered by Siegrist leaving than Shankland leaving, which would have been unimaginable at the start of the season

12 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Only 80% for me 🙄

Shankland and Benji will be off anyway, but ignoring the kids, anyone else - I wouldn't care if they left.

Would have to disagree on Robson, has been dreadful for months.  Rubbish in the air and can’t put in a decent cross.

Would have to disagree on Robson, has been dreadful for months.  Rubbish in the air and can’t put in a decent cross.
Robson has done better than any of us could have imagined a couple of years ago, but he is on a very poor run of form right now.

8 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

At the start of the season, Robson was arguably our best player.

He might be playing a bit pish now, but its just daft to think he's not capable when he's already shown it and fairly recently.

Edited by ArabFC

40 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Only around 80% for me 🙄

Shankland and Benji will be off anyway, but ignoring the kids and loans, anyone else - I wouldn't care if they left.

Clark is underrated by many Arabs imo, he showed earlier in the season that if he’s played in his natural position he will score goals.

Robson can go from very good to rank rotten, I can’t understand why Mellon doesn’t subbie  him when he’s obviously having a poor game, then again I’m baffled by Mellon’s use of substitutes full stop.

Robson, and dare I say it Smith, are suffering from playing in a defence with a central pairing which was just average in the Championship. The two full backs have been dragged down this season: also, at the lower level they didn't have the pressure to endure of not having proper wingers/wing backs in the squad. This season they are overexposed.

And Siegrist still has some glaring faults which few fans comment upon: the recent corners we are losing goals from, he should have been more dominant when the ball came into the box. Or am I being harsh?

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Show us the money!

I might be in a minority and I accept its hard to judge this early on, but he doesn't strike me as a kid that's going to reach top end of the Premier League level.

Im glad its not just me. Im desperate for our young players to come through and do well but i genuinely cant see what the fuss is about Neilson. If we can command a decent fee, i wouldnt bat an eyelid

4 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Show us the money!

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

And Siegrist still has some glaring faults which few fans comment upon: the recent corners we are losing goals from, he should have been more dominant when the ball came into the box. Or am I being harsh?

56 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Yes.

Only opinions, I know, but you're writing off the prospects of a young player going on to do very well after seeing him a handful of times, yet view it as harsh that I reckon a keeper we've watched failing to come for corners has glaring faults. Can't agree with you.

22 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Only opinions, I know, but you're writing off the prospects of a young player going on to do very well after seeing him a handful of times, yet view it as harsh that I reckon a keeper we've watched failing to come for corners has glaring faults. Can't agree with you.

I'm suggesting that the kid might not make it to the top - not the boldest prediction ever! Very few do and those that do you can usually spot very early on.

You're criticising probably our player of the year for his glaring faults and not dominating his box - the same criticism made of every United goalkeeper, well, ever!

Subtle difference.

Edited by ArabFC

15 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I'm suggesting that the kid might not make it to the top - not the boldest prediction ever! Very few do and those that do you can usually spot very early on.

You're criticising probably our player of the year for his glaring faults and not dominating his box - the same criticism made of every United goalkeeper, well, ever!

Subtle difference.

I reckon Lewis Neilson won't make it to the very top either. We're both being harsh, for we don't know. As for the part in bold...................

Sieb.jpg