The Dundee United Thread 22/23

10 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Only around 80% for me 🙄

Butcher should be given a chance at the back - if he can't improve us there, well, Fuchs does his job, but better.

Smith and Robson are for me are fullbacks capable of playing decently at this level, but that's about it, and Clark has proven himself as a good option to have.

Shankland and Benji will be off anyway, but ignoring the kids and loans, anyone else - I wouldn't care if they left.

Fair enough. Agree mostly.

I'm not sold and never have been on Smith and wouldn't bother if he was let go, Robson has played well at times and if we had a left winger I think he'd improve and link up. In fairness maybe that would be the same for Smith.

Robson is one of the worst crossers of a ball ive ever seen though.

Bar the bairns, the rest can gtf.

5 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I'm suggesting that the kid might not make it to the top - not the boldest prediction ever! Very few do and those that do you can usually spot very early on.

You're criticising probably our player of the year for his glaring faults and not dominating his box - the same criticism made of every United goalkeeper, well, ever!

Subtle difference.

Nicky Weaver was fucking sensational at coming for crosses. Thats the only one I really remember being decent at crosses.

6 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Im glad its not just me. Im desperate for our young players to come through and do well but i genuinely cant see what the fuss is about Neilson. If we can command a decent fee, i wouldnt bat an eyelid

Agree. Hes OK on the ball for a big lad, looks the part but he's (obviously) extremely raw and inexperienced but I'm not really seeing the hype either. 

If its any more than £300k then cash in.

35 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Nicky Weaver was fucking sensational at coming for crosses. Thats the only one I really remember being decent at crosses.

Agree. Hes OK on the ball for a big lad, looks the part but he's (obviously) extremely raw and inexperienced but I'm not really seeing the hype either. 

If its any more than £300k then cash in.

Likely in the region of 500-750k with add ons. 

17 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

According to reports Wigan are looking at Edwards.

As @ArabAuslander points out, they have been in administration since last summer - whilst it appears they have been able to sign quite a few players this month, all have been free or on loan.  So I can't see us getting a fee from them.  If that's the case, surely we keep him and hope he's fit for the run-in!?

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its just lazy bollocks from fans who are frankly jealous of what Livingston are doing. 

I'll be honest, @RandomGuy., I had no idea my comment would turn this glorious DUFC love-in into a meaningless debate about plastic pitches.  You're entitled to believe that plastic pitches have given no advantage to Livingston, Kilmarnock or Hamilton - in the same way that you are entitled to believe that the world is flat - so please go ahead. 

16 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

Fully agree with you. Not even criticising them for taking advantage. As you say people claiming it doesn't  help in the face of evidence are odd 

Absolutely, I'm not critical at all - it is within the rules and they're perfectly entitled to play within the rules to maximise their advantage.

16 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

In happier news I love Sean Dillon on commentary. He makes all the noises I make watching a game.

Agreed, he is great to listen to.  

15 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Robson, and dare I say it Smith, are suffering from playing in a defence with a central pairing which was just average in the Championship.

I still think that Liam Smith is the most reliable right-back we have had since Keith Watson, and has potential to get better.  Jamie Robson's confidence is rock-bottom, but undoubtedly has had flashes of real quality - and he has only just turned 23.  Plenty of time to get back to his best.   

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

Surprised Wigan Athletic - a club currently in Administration - can afford £500k on a player.

I think the £500k quoted was for Lewis Neilson from Leicester, not for Ryan Edwards from Wigan - but your point still stands.

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

As @ArabAuslander points out, they have been in administration since last summer - whilst it appears they have been able to sign quite a few players this month, all have been free or on loan.  So I can't see us getting a fee from them.  If that's the case, surely we keep him and hope he's fit for the run-in!?

If a club is willing to take Edwards and his contract off of our hands when he can't get a game ahead of fucking Connolly and Reynolds then we gotta open the door. Neilson, Smith and Butcher can can all provide cover.

As we've alluded to already, we need to shift most of this squad and we don't have the money to pay players to leave.

That is of course reliant on Neilson not being snapped up.

Edited by ArabFC

7 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Surprised Wigan Athletic - a club currently in Administration - can afford £500k on a player.

I was half asleep last night and actually meant Neilson for that figure 🤦‍♂️

That 300k figure will be base line money then you'll have add ons on top. 

Edited by ArabianKnight

1 minute ago, Loemba90 said:

If Edwards going means we sign a creative midfielder (who is ready to go straight into the team) then do it.  Unfortunately I think Utd are not looking to sign anyone, regardless of who leaves.

Likely won't I can see Mellon getting the squad numbers down and playing more of the younger lads. 

Plus if United are sensible with any cash coming in plus the government loan then it's much healthier for us financially not to spunk cash on a deadline day signing just for the sake of it. 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

If Edwards leaves. Butcher goes to CH and Connolly can go on the bench.

Fuchs becomes a one man wrecking ball in CM freeing up Mochrie to be a younger better Pirlo.

This should happen whether Edwards leaves or not tbh.

If, and i think this is whats going to happen, we go 5 at the back id like it to be Butcher, Edwards and Reynolds. Edwards for height, Butcher as he's a better defender than any of them while also being better on the ball, and Reynolds to play at left of the three as hes better than Connolly. 

Or we could go 6 at the back with all 4 of them playing in the middle to make sure we don't lose a goal from a fucking set piece.

Even then though...