The Dundee United Thread 22/23

GMS should be welcomed back at any point imo. One of the best wingers I've ever seen and the Dynamo Moscow game was one of the best individual performances I've witnessed at Tannadice. Ripped that bloke they spent £20M on apart. Sure, some games he got blootered all over the place and hid but over the piece I think he was a great player for us.

If he had to listen to McNaFortune and co. talk shite and move him onto the wrong side of the park etc then I dont blame him for giving up that last season. 

But right now id not be giving up a fee for a young lad for him. Or anyone tbh. Unless it was Harkes, id happily take a jelly bean for him.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Aye, let’s sign Mackay Stevens and Ciftci.  Let’s sign Erik Pedersen whilst we’re at it; always loved wee Erik.

You're been silly now, Erik is 54 years old.

However thats only 2 years older than Mulgrew and Fletcher 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Disclaimer: I have been out in the sun all day and now making a hefty dent in the local red wine. Probably not the best time to be offering advice on contractual matters.

Tony Asghar found. 6 year contract to be announced tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah but I really like him, isn’t that the defining factor?

Because its Erik, i will let it slide. If it was Kjell, id be demanding he started every match

Nothing against GMS. He’s one of my favourite players of recent times. Indeed, I don’t see how he wouldn’t be seen that way by any United fan with half a brain.

The boy was often worth the admission money on his own and that beautiful spell of time when he was basically featuring on the Soccer AM showboat every week was glorious.

And he actually got better as he focussed less on tricks and more on his all round game. As part of ‘that’ front 4, he was just brilliant.

But, let’s face it, he’s past it now as most tricky wingers tend to be when they head into their 30s.

So, thanks, but no thanks.

After 2 very good signings Sibbald is a very underwhelming signing to put it mildly.

As for GMS v Neilson compensation, its a no brainer for me, surely compensation figure should be £250k region whereas GMS market value is nothing like that these days. Would take him as a squad player on a free transfer but f**k taking him as opposed to a £200k + fee. 

May well be wrong .. usually am but I thought Sibbald signed a pre contract with Dunfermline, then decided against it when they went down. 

Bizzare one if true. Must have something incriminating  on Ross.  

17 minutes ago, low-life said:

May well be wrong .. usually am but I thought Sibbald signed a pre contract with Dunfermline, then decided against it when they went down. 

Bizzare one if true. Must have something incriminating  on Ross.  

You’re right with that one. 

He always looked like he was close to breaking out into being a real star for us but never did it. He’s got a few health issues which didn’t help him either, having asthma and having had COVID twice apparently it’s had a long term effect. 

The reason we didn’t offer him a deal was long COVID essentially meaning he couldn’t run for more than 10-15 minutes in a game without being fucked 

On 08/07/2022 at 11:45, ArabFC said:

I have always been an advocate for quality over quantity.

Year after year we've signed players to create a heaving squad full of meh!

So I'm genuinely delighted with the approach thus far.

1 hour ago, Tap in 94 said:

Craig Sibbald to sign a 2 year deal 

Tuesday Morning Reaction GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

6 minutes ago, FIFE ARABIAN said:

We never said we weren't going to sign any squad players.

I remember Sibbald being not too bad against us on a few occasions. 

Signing multiple ‘not too bad’ players is the same shite we’ve been doing year after year. Sign enough of them and one might turn out alright.

There are some promising kids waiting in the wings that can provide squad cover, so I see this as nothing other than a wasted wage that could’ve been invested elsewhere.

We need a good attacking/wide option (such as McGrath) and maybe (hopefully) we’ll still sign one but Sibbald ain’t it.