If SPFL goes to 14 teams do the championship playoffs go?

48 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

What are you talking about, the majority already stream their games abroad. 

I was thinking more about establishing a credible business model to support a full division, rather than some clubs streaming a game and hoping to get enough customers subscribing to make it viable. I'm saying costs wages, testing etc would outweigh income.

If you then subtract the number that might be allowed to attend under social distancing, the remaining number that would pay for streaming would be negligible.

It leaves us with the situation that both can't work.

29 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yes, and they are watched by incredibly low numbers. No guarantees what they have in place would work with 10x as many people tuning in. 

Either way it’s pretty irrelevant if they could realistically do it, as the take up would be nowhere near enough people to make it financially viable.

Agreed, the numbers needed will be a lot more than 10x though. Even before considering club's technical capacity to provide an acceptable service there is pricing to consider. Taking us back to the cost against income argument.

Are we expected to believe that hundreds of people will pay somewhere between £10 and £20 per game to watch lower division football at home? Thistle and Falkirk might get enough in L1, but who else? If the whole division can't do it, you'd need to reconstruct the divisions, not on merit but capacity to produce a video.

19 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Beat me to it! What do folk SPFL stands for?

Pedantry aside, do all clubs not need to vote on this? Can't see any Championship clubs, except Hearts, voting for this.

The SPFL stands for the interests of Celtic FC. It allowed them to postpone league matches (two against Thistle IIRC) so that they could play in lucrative pre-season tournaments. No other club has given such preferential treatment.

The green bigots only get token fines for singing songs that promote terrorism, crowd trouble and wanton vandalism at away games. Like the other blue cheek of the OF arse, they are a vile disgrace to Scottish football. 

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The SPFL stands for the interests of Celtic FC. It allowed them to postpone league matches (two against Thistle IIRC) so that they could play in lucrative pre-season tournaments. No other club has given such preferential treatment.

The green bigots only get token fines for singing songs that promote terrorism, crowd trouble and wanton vandalism at away games. Like the other blue cheek of the OF arse, they are a vile disgrace to Scottish football. 

The interests of Celtic and Sevco, not just Sevco. Everything you've said about Celtic applies to Sevco.

I think when the bullshit nonsense with postponing two league matches came in to place someone from the SPFL claimed that anyone can do it, and whilst that's true, who in America or Dubai is offering out lucrative games against Motherwell, Hamilton, St Johnstone or indeed any other Premiership club save the two in question? Laughable claim.

Anyway, I'll rephrase; what do folk think the initials 'SPFL' stand for?

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The interests of Celtic and Sevco, not just Sevco. Everything you've said about Celtic applies to Sevco.

I think when the bullshit nonsense with postponing two league matches came in to place someone from the SPFL claimed that anyone can do it, and whilst that's true, who in America or Dubai is offering out lucrative games against Motherwell, Hamilton, St Johnstone or indeed any other Premiership club save the two in question? Laughable claim.

Anyway, I'll rephrase; what do folk think the initials 'SPFL' stand for?

Someone should test it. Hamilton could explain they can't play an opening Premiership game because it clashed with the Bridlington Football Festival. (Bridlington, Hamilton, York and Sheffield United u/19s)...other made up tournaments are available.

My thinking is that there wont be any games with crowds this year so perhaps we should have finished the remaining fixtures via closed door games with streaming. At least its some revenue and keeps players and clubs ticking over.

There wont be games this year perhaps?

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

This option was available to all clubs in the old SPL and then in the first couple of years of the SPFL. Celtic used it regularly, but Rangers and Killie also did. We postponed a league fixture to play a friendly against Blackburn one year. I think other clubs did so too, but I'm not so sure on the details of those.

This is no longer an option though, and hasn't been for several years.

Edited by craigkillie

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Some people would pay full price but almost certainly not enough, or indeed close to enough, to make it in any way viable.

Also the quality would definitely be an issue.

Finishing the games in August/September isn't just fantasy nonsense for multiple reasons, it's dangerous to the future of clubs.

Yeah.  I might be in the minority, but I want the football back so I can actually go to the football.  If it became streaming only I'd be trying to make time to catch games, but forced into being at home means other things are going to take precedence.  I know there's going to be people who stake out their TVs at 3pm to watch every game, but I don't think my case is going to be limited just to me.  Hell, if every single person who would have gone to the football bought a "ticket" to view at a slightly reduced (based on gate) price, would it even be financially viable then?

43 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

My thinking is that there wont be any games with crowds this year so perhaps we should have finished the remaining fixtures via closed door games with streaming. At least its some revenue and keeps players and clubs ticking over.

There wont be games this year perhaps?

'Some revenue' doesn't cover the shortfall of lost revenue. Also not all clubs have the facilities to do it anyway, at least not on such short notice.

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

Yeah.  I might be in the minority, but I want the football back so I can actually go to the football.  If it became streaming only I'd be trying to make time to catch games, but forced into being at home means other things are going to take precedence.  I know there's going to be people who stake out their TVs at 3pm to watch every game, but I don't think my case is going to be limited just to me.  Hell, if every single person who would have gone to the football bought a "ticket" to view at a slightly reduced (based on gate) price, would it even be financially viable then?

Maybe, but certainly not guaranteed, and would definitely mean a substantial drop in wages paid out.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Maybe, but certainly not guaranteed, and would definitely mean a substantial drop in wages paid out.

Guess it's no different to normal attendance.  If they can get enough money up front through season tickets, maybe it's a goer, but I'm just not sure they can justify the sort of prices you'd get for actually going to the game just to get streaming.  Maybe if that price was going to get you everything in Scottish football, but then that adds on cost to all the clubs and makes that break-even point even higher.  And going by the quality we get for Sportscene highlights, you're going to need to invest on that front, which pushes it higher...

I'd love to see it, personally, but it just looks impossible.

Looking at the Scottish Government's phased return outset that has been announced today, if people don't become total bellends like they are being down south, hopefully we can get fans back a lot faster than some are suggesting. This would of course mean social distancing measures are being followed at the games but surely police and stewards that are already there on match day can ensure this is being adhered to? No idea how that would work actually in the stands but options might be a lot clearer in a few months' time if we do indeed stick to the measures the Government are setting out. 

Even with that clubs are still losing out big on hospitality (seemingly a very big income stream) and other matchday income like programmes, merchandise, food and drink and half time draws.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Even with that clubs are still losing out big on hospitality (seemingly a very big income stream) and other matchday income like programmes, merchandise, food and drink and half time draws.

As I said in the post, hopefully options will become a lot more clearer how we can manage those things should the phased return be adhered to.

Perhaps selling programmes at the pie stalls, implementing plastic screens at them and in club shops, encouraging contactless payments etc is what clubs will be instructed to do from the governing bodies. I know this wouldn't be too much a hassle for a club like ours, but there will be a lot that simply can't do that. Hopefully the government will have some clarity for us in the future to see if they can help clubs install these safety measures to ensure fan safety, but I won't hold my breath. 

Edited by DAFC.

11 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I think theres a massive opportunity for streaming service to do closed doors for top league and champ.
I'm sure people would pay nearly full price per game as long as it was good quality.

Unadulterated nonsense.