If SPFL goes to 14 teams do the championship playoffs go?

13 minutes ago, greenockraver said:

As title.

The first division fought for years to get playoffs, are the SPFL planning to keep them , should there be reconstruction?

It would need to revert to 2 up 2 down which is unlikely to be a vote winner for those in the top division.

All academic I'd think, as can't see any reconstruction going through.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It would need to revert to 2 up 2 down which is unlikely to be a vote winner for those in the top division.

All academic I'd think, as can't see any reconstruction going through.

It wouldn't need to revert to anything.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

It wouldn't need to revert to anything.

For it to be voted through by those clubs below the top league, then it would.

Hearts and Inverness will vote for it regardless, and several of the other clubs might also vote for it if it retains the current play-off system since it will still give them improved promotion chances compared to the status quo.

Don’t see the point of 14 teams just more of what we have playing each other 4 times and a split. Either stick as is or do something that’s actually different like larger leagues playing each other twice. I personally prefer 18 team leagues but I can see why others want small leagues. If we’re going to do reconstruction then do it right top to bottom pyramid with all clubs involved and don’t just fudge it for a short term fix.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I doubt 28 will vote themselves out of existence. (Pedant alert)

Beat me to it! What do folk SPFL stands for?

Pedantry aside, do all clubs not need to vote on this? Can't see any Championship clubs, except Hearts, voting for this.

1 hour ago, greenockraver said:

As title.

The first division fought for years to get playoffs, are the SPFL planning to keep them , should there be reconstruction?

You post far too often on here.

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Beat me to it! What do folk SPFL stands for?

Pedantry aside, do all clubs not need to vote on this? Can't see any Championship clubs, except Hearts, voting for this.

Inverness will vote for it because it gets them promoted.

Edited by craigkillie

This is just to keep the budgie occupied and us entertained while they get on with the real business of working out how we can get the PL games started for the 2020/21 season.

The big question for us is when will the lower leagues get started as they heavily depend on gate money and won't be able to survive with closed doors games.

12 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

This is just to keep the budgie occupied and us entertained while they get on with the real business of working out how we can get the PL games started for the 2020/21 season.

The big question for us is when will the lower leagues get started as they heavily depend on gate money and won't be able to survive with closed doors games.

The Premiership is pretty much the same. With the possible exception of Celtic, none of them can play without matchday income for an extended period of time. It could actually be more pronounced for the Premiership clubs.

I think theres a massive opportunity for streaming service to do closed doors for top league and champ.
I'm sure people would pay nearly full price per game as long as it was good quality.

Imo they should have completed the league this way in August/September and then bring back a mini trial league for next year then full fixtures.

20 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I think theres a massive opportunity for streaming service to do closed doors for top league and champ.
I'm sure people would pay nearly full price per game as long as it was good quality.

Imo they should have completed the league this way in August/September and then bring back a mini trial league for next year then full fixtures.

Some people would pay full price but almost certainly not enough, or indeed close to enough, to make it in any way viable.

Also the quality would definitely be an issue.

Finishing the games in August/September isn't just fantasy nonsense for multiple reasons, it's dangerous to the future of clubs.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Some people would pay full price but almost certainly not enough, or indeed close to enough, to make it in any way viable.

Also the quality would definitely be an issue.

Finishing the games in August/September isn't just fantasy nonsense for multiple reasons, but it's dangerous to the future of clubs.

Exactly, clubs probably won't go out of business by not playing, but will if they try chasing pie in the sky cyber customers. That type of model would be years in the making, yet some on here think Championship, L1/2 clubs can cobble together a viable system that will attract enough support and provide meaningful competition.

Delusional.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Exactly, clubs probably won't go out of business by not playing, but will if they try chasing pie in the sky cyber customers. That type of model would be years in the making, yet some on here think Championship, L1/2 clubs can cobble together a viable system that will attract enough support and provide meaningful competition.

Delusional.

What are you talking about, the majority already stream their games abroad. 

17 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

What are you talking about, the majority already stream their games abroad. 

Yes, and they are watched by incredibly low numbers. No guarantees what they have in place would work with 10x as many people tuning in. 

Either way it’s pretty irrelevant if they could realistically do it, as the take up would be nowhere near enough people to make it financially viable.