Geopolitics in the 2020s.

dorlomin

24 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
3 hours ago, coprolite said:
Morocco and Lesotho still have constitutional monarchies, but apart from that the entire continent of Africa has more modern political systems than our medieval throwback. 

Eswatini.

He's the guy in the linked story- looks like he's oot. Don't know how final that is. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Haitian President assasinated. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-57750358

Who was the last serving President to be killed in office?

The president of Chad was killed while fighting rebels earlier this year, so not your standard assassination.

The previous assassination was the president of Guinea Bissau back in 2009.

Edit - you beat me to it

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

To answer my own question, the last one to die was also killed, in battle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heads_of_state_and_government_who_died_in_office#2000–present

4 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The president of Chad was killed while fighting rebels earlier this year, so not your standard assassination.

The previous assassination was the president of Guinea Bissau back in 2009.

Edit - you beat me to it

The Chad President was a bizarre one.  From what I have read, he held an election in April which he won (the other parties boycotted the election).  Instead of giving a victory speech, he went to the front line in the fight against the rebels and was mortally wounded.

18th April.  Mortally wounded.  19th April.  Wins election.  20th April.  He dies.

That must be a record for shortest presidential term.  (He had already been president for decades).

Haiti is similar to DRC, Nigeria or Angola in that western media seems especially determined to obscure any events which are reported from there and make it extremely difficult to contextualise them. 

This guy was a US installed puppet so it will be interesting to see where the blame falls for this. The Haitian government are claiming that two of the killers are already dead and that bizarrely that the other two will be killed soon so there will be a blank canvas to build a narrative on. 

Tbf I've read descriptions of the torture of people even loosely connected to the killers of Rafael Trujillo on the other side of Hispaniola back in the early 60s and I definitely wouldn't be up for getting arrested anyway. 

Edited by Detournement

Listen to Episode 143: Haiti by TrueAnon on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/bWna3

I'm listening to this podcast from April in the gym right now and the guest expert/activist on Haiti actually says she has sources on the ground in Haiti telling her Moises won't last the year as he has become a liability to the US. 

Before I listened to that podcast I had forgotten that the only democratically elected President in the history of Haiti was removed from the country by the CIA in 2004 after demanding $21 Billion in reparations from France. The Iraq War was getting all the attention back then.

The average American news media consumer reading these headlines probably couldn't point to Haiti on a map and knows nothing of it's history yet they somehow provide the democratic legitimacy for an intervention. 

Illegally raze nation states and create mass migration of fugees to a street near you. 

2.5 million Afghan fugees heading to Europe to provide some cultural diversity. 

Austria trembling. Macron, "give them a boat" . Boris, get the gunboats in the Channel. Merkel giving it welcome home. We need slave labour to recover the multi billion penalties against Volkswagen/BMW. 

Meanwhile back in Dodge, Joe smiles as he tells the world, mission accomplished. 

😁

On 09/07/2021 at 08:16, BlueBear said:

Illegally raze nation states and create mass migration of fugees to a street near you...

Not sure the Taliban getting back in control in Afghanistan matters so much in the big scheme of things and that's kind of why the Americans are pulling out. As with South Vietnam there's only so long a superpower will support a kleptocratic regime with limited popular support that can't stand on its own two feet. 

Think the Horn of Africa is the place to watch with the Blue Nile dam dispute and a possible unravelling of Ethiopia on ethnic lines providing scope for all kinds of mayhem. The Americans are taking a surprisingly large amount of interest possibly to counter growing Chinese influence.

16 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not sure the Taliban getting back in control in Afghanistan matters so much in the big scheme of things and that's kind of why the Americans are pulling out. As with South Vietnam there's only so long a superpower will support a kleptocratic regime with limited popular support that can't stand on its own two feet. 

Think the Horn of Africa is the place to watch with the Blue Nile dam dispute and a possible unravelling of Ethiopia on ethnic lines providing scope for all kinds of mayhem. The Americans are taking a surprisingly large amount of interest possibly to counter growing Chinese influence.

Yes, and with the multiple dams China is  building in the Himalaya mountain range, threatening India's water supplies, it looks like Water Wars, will be the next  in thing.

On 07/07/2021 at 16:47, Fullerene said:

The Chad President was a bizarre one.  From what I have read, he held an election in April which he won (the other parties boycotted the election).  Instead of giving a victory speech, he went to the front line in the fight against the rebels and was mortally wounded.

18th April.  Mortally wounded.  19th April.  Wins election.  20th April.  He dies.

That must be a record for shortest presidential term.  (He had already been president for decades).

The 34th President of Mexico Pedro Lascurain resigned after an hour to allow a coup d'etat to take place.

As he lived to be 96 it was perhaps a wise choice.