Geopolitics in the 2020s.

dorlomin

8 hours ago, S7C said:

There’s clearly no justification for the murder of civilians. And it’s not a black and white issue, but Israel has to accept significant responsibility for this, Netanyahu more than anyone.

Oppression breeds hate, and it’s very difficult to argue that Palestinians haven’t been oppressed. A significant portion of the international community recognises this, but Israel can’t be held accountable because the US constantly vetoes any proposal deemed detrimental to Israel at the UN. That’s not a reflection of a fair system.

Its a depressing situation and there’s a very real risk of genocide occurring here imo, but it’s not a surprising one. There’s no justification for defending Hamas’ actions, but it’s been coming for a while.

I would really like @Donathan who red dotted this post to explain why.

What is happening is horrendous and is going to lead to something far worse but I’m surprised an attack of this scale has not happened sooner.  Let’s not forget who the oppressors are here; push people so far and they will respond.

The MSM take on this is breath taking. Sky there were speaking to an Israeli woman via a phone link from some sort of shelter. She was peddling all sorts of anti  Arab rhetoric which was allowed to continue totally unchallenged by the anchor. A few minutes later they had a Palestinian in their studio, an academic living in London. He was basically arguing Israel had this coming and he was being interrupted and challenged every 10 seconds or so to the extent it ended up with the Sky anchor basically giving him a "speech" akin to a US govt official along the lines of Israel having every right to defend what they see as theirs. 

I've never entered into the whole Israel / Palestinian sides thing but just watching this was unbelievable from a supposed balanced, respected news outlet.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

What is happening is horrendous and is going to lead to something far worse but I’m surprised an attack of this scale has not happened sooner.  Let’s not forget who the oppressors are here; push people so far and they will respond.

I should imagine that it's got something to do with the cold blooded murder of innocents and the hand wringing defence of it.

I doubt that you would justify the same if some random ended the life of your wife and your ideal island existence.

Closer to home than the comfortable Canary Islands, we all know who the oppressors were in Ireland but that didn't excuse the two cheek gangsters that followed.

33 minutes ago, sophia said:

I should imagine that it's got something to do with the cold blooded murder of innocents and the hand wringing defence of it.

I doubt that you would justify the same if some random ended the life of your wife and your ideal island existence.

Closer to home than the comfortable Canary Islands, we all know who the oppressors were in Ireland but that didn't excuse the two cheek gangsters that followed.

I never justified it or attempted to do so. It’s wrong.

I said that Israel has to accept some responsibility for the situation deteriorating to the point at which it has come to this. And that’s true.

12 minutes ago, S7C said:

I said that Israel has to accept some responsibility for the situation deteriorating to the point at which it has come to this. And that’s true.

15 minutes ago, S7C said:

Yip.  But he’s a strange poster who I thankfully have on ignore.

51 minutes ago, sophia said:

The Palestinian people are still being actively oppressed by Israel. The Hamas fighters are absolutely wrong for attacking civilians, many of whom probably supported peace with Palestine, as is common - however their attack isn't unprovoked. Israel do not have their hands clean, whatsoever.

Just taking a glance at Palestine, the living conditions, the number of civilian casualties, etc. shows the wrongdoings of the Israeli State.

This is a conflict between two sets of scum armies and governments. There are no 'good guys', just conflict, provoked by the last conflict before it. It's impossible to justify these attacks - but it's quite possible to see the full picture, as pretty much everyone here is doing.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Sorry, half cut and red dotted when I meant to see who had red dotted.............

I see Bibi has told the Palestinians in Gaza to leave because the Israeli Army is going to turn Hamas hideouts into rubble. OK, where do they leave to?

Now, yes, this brings up the Arab complicity in this mess...that the Arab countries refused to offer any succor to the Palestinians after the evictions from Palestine, no citizenship to some of those who would have qualified, no place to live or even evacuate to, etc. But it still shows the stupidity of Bibi with a comment like that, and the willingness of far too many people to accept such a statement without question.