George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

2 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

'If Eric Garner did not want to be choked to death by the police, he should simply have not been so fat.'

Is genuinely the boys argument in the video.

I heard people in the U.K. making a similar ‘defence’ of the police for shooting Jean Charles de Menezes.  “He shouldn’t have jumped that barrier...”

By the U.K. I mean primarily England.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I heard people in the U.K. making a similar ‘defence’ of the police for shooting Jean Charles de Menezes.  “He shouldn’t have jumped that barrier...”

By the U.K. I mean primarily England.

Aye.

To save anyone watching the video and fucking up their YouTube algorithm, its pretty much 'if you can't do the time, don't do the crime'

With the 'crime' being a black man with a criminal record and the 'time' being shot 20 times in the back.

26 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Aye.

To save anyone watching the video and fucking up their YouTube algorithm, its pretty much 'if you can't do the time, don't do the crime'

With the 'crime' being a black man with a criminal record and the 'time' being shot 20 times in the back.

In America, if you fight with the police

Then get up and go to your car

You will be shot

In America, if you have a warrant out for your arrest, have previous for domestic violence, get the police phoned on you by a previous victim who says you've stolen her keys, tell police you have a knife, fight with police, get up after being tasered, open a car door and try to enter the car, that has children in it..you will be shot.

1 hour ago, Mr Waldo said:

In America, if you have a warrant out for your arrest, have previous for domestic violence, get the police phoned on you by a previous victim who says you've stolen her keys, tell police you have a knife, fight with police, get up after being tasered, open a car door and try to enter the car, that has children in it..you will be shot.

In this instance, being black meant he was 250% (rising to 600% in some areas) more likely to be shot than if he had been white.  

Not being involved in law enforcement, I'm maybe getting this all wrong but if I'd been one of the two policemen, and I wanted to arrest that guy, then at some point in the ten seconds between him calmly walking from one side of his car to the other I'd have tried to arrest him. This may have taken the form of putting handcuffs on him. Maybe hitting him with my night stick, maybe pepper spraying him. Letting him get up, spend 10 seconds sauntering around his car then running up and shooting him seven times in the back just wouldn't have occurred to me. I suppose that's what separates these highly trained guys from the rest of us.  

Erm, yeah. Screenshot_20200829-170310_Chrome.jpg

Minor point here but even in the Jean Charles de Menezes incident - he did not jump the barrier. This is something which somehow made its way into the media in the hours after the shooting and has remained in the public consciousness but which is categorically false. He paid using an oyster card and went through the barriers normally. 

Correct he also wasn’t wearing a big padded jacket in the middle of summer like was reported at the time.

Anyway I don’t think people are seriously suggesting that all of those black people shot by police are the salt of the earth going about their lawful business and are being targeted by bigots and or improperly trained fools in the police(although this does happen)

What they are saying is that in like for like circumstances they are much more likely to have force AND deadly force used on them than white people

Assualting a police officer and any other alleged crimes would normally result in arrest with some sly extra digs for resisting arrest, not the death penalty- which when you shoot someone at point blank range you must accept as a likely outcome even if in this case it didn’t result in a fatality

A Christian family values group has raised almost $100,000 for the 17 year old who carried an illegal weapon across state lines and then shot 2 people. They have still to start a fundraiser for the father of 3 who was shot 7 times in the back and is crippled in hospital.

8 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

In this instance, being black meant he was 250% (rising to 600% in some areas) more likely to be shot than if he had been white.  

Not being involved in law enforcement, I'm maybe getting this all wrong but if I'd been one of the two policemen, and I wanted to arrest that guy, then at some point in the ten seconds between him calmly walking from one side of his car to the other I'd have tried to arrest him. This may have taken the form of putting handcuffs on him. Maybe hitting him with my night stick, maybe pepper spraying him. Letting him get up, spend 10 seconds sauntering around his car then running up and shooting him seven times in the back just wouldn't have occurred to me. I suppose that's what separates these highly trained guys from the rest of us.  

The stat I'm sure is true

But also is, I think, that a population of 10 percent make up 50 percent of the prison population

So when entering black areas I imagine police are very jumpy/trigger happy, for fear of getting gunned down themselves?

There's been something like 50 police violently killed on duty this year, whereas here in recent several years I can only remember the guy got dragged by the quad bike thief's

Really most to blame, again, is America's gun culture's effects

7 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

A Christian family values group has raised almost $100,000 for the 17 year old who carried an illegal weapon across state lines and then shot 2 people. They have still to start a fundraiser for the father of 3 who was shot 7 times in the back and is crippled in hospital.

The Atlanta couple appearing on the convention is very concerning too

2 hours ago, Binos said:

The stat I'm sure is true

But also is, I think, that a population of 10 percent make up 50 percent of the prison population

So when entering black areas I imagine police are very jumpy/trigger happy, for fear of getting gunned down themselves?

There's been something like 50 police violently killed on duty this year, whereas here in recent several years I can only remember the guy got dragged by the quad bike thief's

Really most to blame, again, is America's gun culture's effects

There are just under 700,000 police officers in America, it's not that dangerous. I agree about the guns though.

Edited by welshbairn

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There are just under 700,000 police officers in America, it's not that dangerous. I agree about the guns though.

Didn't know that

We have 17000

That would make it at least twice as likely to be violently killed on duty than in UK, with gun culture not surprising

The fact they have to employ 700,000 to police a population of 320m against our 17,000 for 60m is scary

1 minute ago, Binos said:

Didn't know that

We have 17000

That would make it at least twice as likely to be violently killed on duty than in UK, with gun culture not surprising

The fact they have to employ 700,000 to police a population of 320m against our 17,000 for 60m is scary

It helps that they're equipped for war and seem to have a policy of shoot first, ask questions later.