George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

23 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Clearly the ones who organised this are driven by racism. Some people in the area could have, with some justIfication, flown a plane stating that ‘lower class citizens matter too’.  Sadly the lack of education and nuance leads many of the oppressed to think the Tories care because racists are trying to intertwine immigration Into the argument. Tragic really.

'Lower class' ffs. 

2 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

If the plane was meant to highlight those killed in Reading as a lot of people on Twitter are claiming. Why did it not say ‘LGBT Lives Matter!’

That's the problem with collectivism, there is an infinite amount of groups.  'Male lives matter'.

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Unpopular opinions thread for this pish but Burnley taking action against them seems a bit off tbh.

It's clearly at the very least a deeply ignorant act and at worst racially motivated but a football club making the interpretation and banning them seems like over stepping the mark, tbh.

They should definitely be banned.

It’s no different to racist chanting IMO, and you’d definitely be looking at a banning for that. I’m not sure what other “interpretation” there could be of a clearly racist slogan started by a bunch of white nationalists. 

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

It’s no different to racist chanting IMO, and you’d definitely be looking at a banning for that. I’m not sure what other “interpretation” there could be of a clearly racist slogan started by a bunch of white nationalists. 

That's exactly what they want. 

11 hours ago, Detournement said:

So American cops have started letting off fireworks and driving around with sirens on all night to harass the communities they police. 

Braindead scum.  

Wtf? Is there any reason given for doing this, outwith acting like c***s and causing sleep deprivation? 

The police over there really are a different level of scum 

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I disagree, but I already know I'll be in a minority here. I think it opens a can of worms.

Fair enough Burnley strongly distance themselves from it but the police can't action it because it isn't a blatantly racist statement in isolation.

The best thing that could have happened here was that the media gave it the air time it deserved, nothing.

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Unpopular opinions thread for this pish but Burnley taking action against them seems a bit off tbh.

It's clearly at the very least a deeply ignorant act and at worst racially motivated but a football club making the interpretation and banning them seems like over stepping the mark, tbh.

I'm not sure how it could be interpreted as anything other than racially motivated.  Either way, those responsible should surely not be welcome at Burnley, or indeed any football ground?  

Sometimes opinions are unpopular because they are wrong.

32 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

everyone's happy then

If someone gets arrested for this we are doomed to hear Gammons -truthfully - repeating "You get arrested for saying White Lives Matter in this country" like a mantra forever. 

It's a trap laid by idiots and it's very easily avoided.

12 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If someone gets arrested for this we are doomed to hear Gammons -truthfully - repeating "You get arrested for saying White Lives Matter in this country" like a mantra forever. 

Same with the suspicious black lives matter anti white leaflets and graffiti which have been doing the rounds.

The recent protests where every pic was of black youths attacking lone white guys.

The police kneeling down before BLM and antifa rioters, compared to full riot gear for the fitba fuds and right wing types.

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Anyone making that comparison is an idiot, though.

The reading attacks were carried out by a guy on his own who decided he wanted to go and stab people.

The blm protests relate to overwhelming evidence of racism in America's police forces. It's a campaign that's spread around the world due to the everyday racism that black people suffer in other countries, including this one.

Absolutely genuine question, have you seen the statistics regarding the race of unarmed people killed in the US? Nobody should believe the media, but investigate the facts for themselves. 

As for the banner - I believe that Burnley, along with Rotherham, Rochdale, Telford and many other towns had a problem with gangs of mostly Asian men grooming underage, primarily white, girls. The quote the BBC: Jack Straw Former Home Secretary Jack Straw has been accused of "stereotyping" after suggesting some men of Pakistani origin see white girls as "easy meat". In many instances this was covered up for many years, in order to avoid controversy, with the police and social workers being told to turn a blind eye. I believe a case can be made to say these girls' lives will have been traumatised by being raped multiple times by men, especially as some of them were as young as twelve. 

I don't recall hysterical protests at the time or since, despite the fact that the councils and police failed to act, despite being aware of these things. I don't know the motivation for flying the Burnley banner, but perhaps it was designed to draw attention to those grooming gangs?

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Wants to imply something unsubstantiated about gypsies in Govanhill without straight up saying it type of post.

Since you mention Govanhill:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/govanhill-child-sex-trade-there-are-so-many-it-s-easy-pickings-for-child-abusers-m2swzc63h

I believe it also has its own cleansing department to.

I take the point that the far right want a culture war and people want to avoid playing into their hands, but if the response to this is deciding never to challenge racist behaviour in case it provokes a culture war then racists will know they can be racist with impunity and they've already won.

45 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I agree.

I think the message around Black Lives Matter is finally getting through even to previously ignorant people and this is an attempt to discredit it.

The message will be "'if it's such an inclusive term, see what happens when you say 'white lives matter'".

The response to someone saying that should be a shrug of the shoulders 'yes, they do. what's your point?'