George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

This will come as a surprise to many, but South Africa has the world's most far reaching and progressive constitution.....equality for all, regardless of race, colour, religion or sexuality is enshrined in law. 

South Africans (and I presume you mean white South Africans here) are also...in my experience incredibly 'un-racist'. They're well aware of their country's recent history. 

Compared with the systemic racism in the USA, South Africa is a beacon of equality and fairness. 

It was just a shit joke based on an old Spitting Image song, I wasn't being serious but cheers for the info.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

It was just a shit joke based on an old Spitting Image song, I wasn't being serious but cheers for the info.

Sorry, didnae mean to be preachy. 

I've been a lot to SA, and to the USA, and while SA has it's share of racists it isn't a racist society. America on the other hand, is fucking unbelievable. 

They love to portray the 'land of the free' image, but few countries on earth have institutional racism like the Americans. 

2 hours ago, Old Pack said:

Do any of the Older guys on here remember the Celtic v Real Madrid European tie At Parkhead in 1980 I think.
Laurie Cunningham got verbally abused by a full Celtic Park for 90 minutes with the worlds greatest fans chanting there’s only one black b*****d non stop.

image.jpeg.a9cf0ac52e83b91cf6ad04959d8a5b95.jpeg

Do any of the Older guys on here remember the Celtic v Real Madrid European tie At Parkhead in 1980 I think.
Laurie Cunningham got verbally abused by a full Celtic Park for 90 minutes with the worlds greatest fans chanting there’s only one black b*****d non stop.

That will be self-appointed greatest fans in the world. They are also the most sanctimonious, conceited and delusional.

30 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Utterly shameful as this was, it seems utterly irrelevant to the “Green Brigade had a right to be at George Square because they’ve regularly championed refugees” vs  “Green Brigade had no right to be at George Square because they possibly booed Shay Logan and definitely chanted in support of Leigh Griffiths when Leigh Griffiths played football well” discussion. Few, if any, Green Brigade members would’ve been born when this happened and even if they were and flung bananas it would be safe to say their racial attitudes had improved significantly in the intervening 32 years.

Incidentally, when looking on wiki for what year this was I was surprised to see Hearts supporters subjected Walters to what he described as the worst racist abuse he suffered up here and Rangers banned a supporter for abusing him on his home debut too. Maybe it’s just because I only ever frequent Celtic threads generally and I’m not normally a fan of whataboutery, but it seems to me to be a stick to beat Celtic supporters with much moreso than Hearts supporters. Doesn’t make the above any less shameful.

So thanks for derailing the BLM protests thread to a mental degree completely pointlessly, because at least I learned something about Scottish society in the 80s. I also have no doubt that at Parkhead a fair few of my fellow supporters are racist because lots of people are racist, but I actually do think the Green Brigade discourage racism generally by being outspoken about antifascism, refugees and other issues, even if some may or may not have a logical approach to Logan/Tonev. 

Edited by The OP

That will be self-appointed greatest fans in the world. They are also the most sanctimonious, conceited and delusional.

I’ve not heard that specific example but I’ve no issue believing that it’s true. It would’ve been the same for every team in Scotland at that time as well.

Years ago I caught a repeat of an old England Scotland game from the early 80s and every time Viv Anderson got the ball the Scotland fans let loose an chorus of monkey noises. If it had happened today the England team would’ve walked off the pitch and we’d have questions in Parliament - back then the commentators didn’t even mention it. It was just normal. If Mark Walters had signed for Celtic, Rangers fans would’ve done the same to him. The attitude seemed to be it was just part of being a football fan, just like getting booed. This was before my time but I can remember people in the old Howden End shouting racist abuse at black players for Livi and East Fife in the mid 90s, they got shouted at but it was just seen as being a bit of a laugh that went wrong. Probably the fact that there were very few black people in Scotland, and certainly in Inverness, at that time makes a difference as well, to an extent.

Thankfully that attitude has changed in football. There’s obviously still racism but it’s different and rarer.

Would you guys say that Scotland has less of a racism problem than England does? I moved to the Highlands last year & people in general here seem to have a much more ‘live & let live’ attitude - definitely seems to be less gammon & more tolerant / non racist people here from what I’ve found. Obviously I can only speak for myself / the area I live in, though.

People like Tommy Robinson, Nigel Farage & the Football Lads Alliance make me ashamed to be English, if I’m honest.

I'm ambivalent about the term 'terrorist'. To me it would have to indicate the motive is to advance a political or religious agenda. But then there is surely an overlap between hate crime and a political cause - if the targets are a particular race, ethnicity, sexuality or adherents of a particular religion, surely? If so, when does it stop being a hate crime and become a terrorist incident, or is it both?
Then there's mental illness. I know some atheists who argue that belief in God is a mental illness. Is a suicide bomber a fanatic or mentally ill? What about Adorno's The Authoritarian Personality which argues that fascism is a psychological disorder brought about by childhood experiences? Were Bobby Sands and the hunger strikers totally rational? 
What about the Yorkshire Ripper - his targets were women, particularly prostitutes. Was this not a form of terrorism? But was he not also schizophrenic? 

You don’t have to be atheist to accept that religious mania is a thing.

Sutcliffe’s schizophrenia took the form of hearing the voice of god tell him to kill prostitutes.

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You don’t have to be atheist to accept that religious mania is a thing.

Sutcliffe’s schizophrenia took the form of hearing the voice of god tell him to kill prostitutes.

No, my point was that some of my atheist friends literally think I'm mad for simply believing in the "magic tooth fairy in the sky", etc. So for someone to blow themselves up with a bomb for religious reasons, then surely they must be considered insane by a large proportion of society.

I thought there was uncertainty about Sutcliffe, and he was to be moved back to prison?! Unless there's a cure for schizophrenia, that implies he was malingering, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

"God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq."
G.W. Bush, 2005

"God will be my judge on Iraq."
T. Blair, 2006

Estimates of civilian casualties resulting from the Iraqi invasion vary wildly, from at least 150,000 to well over a million.