George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't think he was much of a Nazi either - other than managing to not get killed in action - it was the guy on the radio (not the Mitchel man, another contributor) who raised the Nazi angle.

However, it gets republicans riled when he is referred to as a Nazi, so I think I'll continue to call him one.

Refreshingly forthright explanation of your motives - you could teach Kincy a thing or two.

I'll happily play the same game with my personal betes noires - OF Fans, Tories, incompetent managers. It's amazingly how much fun you can have for very little effort once you've identified the right buttons to push.

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 14:56, Bob Mahelp said:

They're just as bad as the far right...maybe even more so

Far right terrorist attacks, leading to deaths, in Great Britain in the last decade:
2013: Murder of Mohammed Saleem by Pavlo Lapshyn
2016: Murder of Jo Cox by Thomas Mair
2017: Manchester Arena bombing (23 deaths), Finsbury Park Attack (1 death), London Bridge attack (17 deaths), Westminster Attack (6 deaths)
2018: London Bridge stabbings (3 deaths)
2020: Streatham stabbing (1 death)
Total: 53 deaths

Far left terrorist attacks, leading to deaths, in Great Britain in the last decade:
Total: 0 deaths. A coupla statues got graffiti on them

Yeah.... just as bad. You melt

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

15 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Agreed. A far better response to this is to explain why it is that even educated, intelligent people thought this at the time, why they were wrong and why people who still push this stuff today are also wrong. The same arguments are going around today but they're dressed up with points about IQ scores etc. For me, it's actually understandable how someone who hasn't thought enough about this might find that a persuasive argument but there's a mountain of evidence about why it's a very poor conclusion to draw. If we pretend it's a topic that can't even be discussed, then the evidence that knocks over these kinds of ideas easily aren't widely known.

It might open up the conversation for more people. These ideas that they had are the roots of racism. 

20 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'd be quite happy to march for equality. 

It wouldn't come into head once though on that march to lob bricks at the police, scrawl graffiti on statues, or tow a statue and dump it in the river. 

As with any march or demonstration over the last few years, the vast majority come for their own, peaceful reasons. But as with pretty much any demonstration these days, there is a left wing element who are using peaceful protest as a cover for their own twisted fuckwittery. 

They're just as bad as the far right...maybe even more so, because their agenda undermines the (normally good) cause that the vast majority think they're supporting. 

House!

1 hour ago, throbber said:

No but you see people doing things litter picking regularly though to clean up mess that they didn’t create. These guys don’t want graffiti on a statue so they clean it off, don’t see why you have to politicise it any more.

No probs, Throbs. Just let us know what public-spirited service these paragons were doing for the last few weekends, and we'll all agree they're an example we would do well to follow.

or....

We'll just see them as sad cúnts who want the Tommeh gang to tweet their approval.

Over to you..

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Would love to see a massive tear-up next weekend between Tommy’s gammons and the statue-desecrators. If it was PPV I’d definitely be tuning in.

Never pay for PPV - especially this. A mob who fall over at the sight of a milkshake versus crusties with a Cause? Round One KO, NAP.

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

As far as my experience of school went, we were never educated in Scottish history.

At all.

I wonder why?

Got 100% Scottish history in primary school until going to school in Sweden for three years where I picked up loads of European history, then back to secondary school in Scotland where the history teacher was a pisshead so we learnt fuckall.

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

no Scottish literature either. A good warts and all run down of the good and bad bits of our history and culture would be welcome & I think it's better for kids now than it was 25 years ago.

How did you manage to avoid the horror that was Sunset Song?

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

With no scientific basis behind it, I'll hazard a guess that every 19th or 18th century cnut who has a statue to himself, anywhere in the UK....maybe anywhere worldwide.... has some elements of his past that are unacceptable by modern values.

I apologise, because I'm confused by what some people in the UK want out of this. Do we want to exert pressure on the US government to clamp down on institutional racism ? Do we want a reaction from the UK government ?  Exactly what reaction ? Are we marching to have the Minneapolis police disbanded ? Or are we simply using the events in Minneapolis as an excuse for the far left lashing out ?

I wonder how many different reasons people in Bristol and London had yesterday for joining the demonstration. 

I would hazard a guess that the majority of cúnts with statues dating from the 18th and 19th centuries paid for the fuckers themselves.

Anyhoo, to address your confusion. You want to know what people want? Here's an idea. Ask them. Or, as I have seen expressed in many eloquent video messages, twitter posts, FB posts and forum contributions over the last few years, listen to what they are already telling you. Or not - after all, the BBC and the UK Press will tell you all you need to know.

And stop using "we" when it's clearly inapprpriate to do so.

Oh, and define "far left" while you're at it.

Rant over - time for a 44mile drive home, with Mark Steel on the Sounds app.

1 hour ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

Well you either a) clearly didn't watch it, or b) must be painfully thick. The first c**t LITERALLY says he's there because "For a man like Churchill... it's the least I can do for someone who done so much for me, my parents and my grandparents"

But yes, he's only there out of concern for public property.  And absolutely nothing to do with protecting dear old Winston's image.

I'm guessing the lad wasn't Bengali, then?

10 minutes ago, Snafu said:

As far as my experience of school went, we were never educated in Scottish history.

At all.

I wonder why?

They tell you the good bits like "Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone" but that's about as far as it goes.

55 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Swimming pools maybe? Most grand Council projects were funded by it in some way or other.

And how many municipal pools remain?

Commoners getting their exercise cheap - knock the fucker down and build a Leisure Centre!

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Interestingly Colston sold his shares in the slave trade to William of Orange. @The_Kincardine

I've not followed the dummy-spitting of the woke iconoclasts very closely but it does look like empty-headed tokenism.

If we really want to be radical about this then we should acknowledge that pretty-much the whole of industrial Scotland from Dundee to Greenock was developed on the product of slavery and that the slave dividend in Scotland was orders of magnitude greater than England. 

I'd suggest razing the central belt in its entirety is the only adequate response. 

45 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'd be quite happy to march for equality. 

It wouldn't come into head once though on that march to lob bricks at the police, scrawl graffiti on statues, or tow a statue and dump it in the river. 

As with any march or demonstration over the last few years, the vast majority come for their own, peaceful reasons. But as with pretty much any demonstration these days, there is a left wing element who are using peaceful protest as a cover for their own twisted fuckwittery. 

They're just as bad as the far right...maybe even more so, because their agenda undermines the (normally good) cause that the vast majority think they're supporting. 

It's incredibly obvious you actually do nothing but tone police those who do make an effort to fight for equality but go off, I guess.

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

If we really want to be radical about this then we should acknowledge that pretty-much the whole of industrial Scotland from Dundee to Greenock was developed on the product of slavery and that the slave dividend in Scotland was orders of magnitude greater than England. 

Isn't that exactly what people are asking for? Acknowledgement and education on our past? I don't think people are seriously saying we should tear down our cities and start again.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

They tell you the good bits like "Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone" but that's about as far as it goes.

We got all the mythology like Bruce in the cave with the spider. Still shudder at a story I think the teacher made up to freak us out when I was 7 or 8. Bonnie Prince Charlie was in a cottage somewhere and soldiers arrived at the the front door. To give him time to escape out the back a woman put her arm across the slots for a wooden door slide thing (name?), so when the soldiers finally broke in, her arm smashed into splinters. Eeeek!

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Committing historical events to books? That'll never catch on. It's why my back garden is stacked with statues of the figures I learned about in my History degrees

Where did you get yours? I went to St Andrews. 

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The missus done a colonial tour of Glesga and every single person depicted on a statue in George Square was a beneficiary of the slave trade. From folk who traded slaves themselves to Burns receiving a coupla of patronages from folk who made money trading with the tobacco or sugar they bought in at low prices thanks to the slave labour that harvested it. It does beg the question where the line is drawn as to whose statues get toppled.

I say we get rid of the lot and just throw up a series of statues depicting all the different stages of Maradona's worldy against England in 1986 but with his outjumping Shilton on the main plinth

Get this engraved into the side of Castle Rock.

EJb4BteWkAApRpG.thumb.jpg.74d345d003da827661d4f9735a81a484.jpg