The Office Uk

TheScarf

It's so sad to see how defeated Tim and Dawn are in life, and how relatable it is for so many folk.

They've given up on themselves, with Dawn settling for cunto Lee and writing off her ambition to be an illustrator as daft. Tim doesn't go to university to do psychology and turns down the promotion. He's clearly bored and just coasting through life and seems to have given in. He's in the exact same place after 3 years.

They find excuses to not do life. 

The magic is that they bring out so much energy in each other and encourage each other. You feel that they would push each other to become better people. They light up around each other. It's Tim's gift that finally makes Dawn 'snap'.

They've been sitting across from happiness for years.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's so sad to see how defeated Tim and Dawn are in life, and how relatable it is for so many folk.

They've given up on themselves, with Dawn settling for cunto Lee and writing off her ambition to be an illustrator as daft. Tim doesn't go to university to do psychology and turns down the promotion. He's clearly bored and just coasting through life and seems to have given in. He's in the exact same place after 3 years.

They find excuses to not do life. 

The magic is that they bring out so much energy in each other and encourage each other. You feel that they would push each other to become better people. They light up around each other. It's Tim's gift that finally makes Dawn 'snap'.

They've been sitting across from happiness for years.

You’d like to think they’d have gone on to get married and have a family. Tim now a world renowned psychologist and Dawn being lead illustrator for The Beano.

I'd love to have seen a follow up a couple of years after the last episode. Just a regular 30 minute episode where some folk, but mostly David, are interviewed about the series, but it's still filmed.

I'd like to see that David hasn't changed and he lost the bird he took to the Christmas party. Most of all I'd like to see him be absolutely called for all his lies and bullshit, with him being shown the footage and asked to explain his utter nonsense and refusal of reality. Preferably he'd bluster it at first but throughout the episode would be steadily worn until he breaks down and admits it all, like total sobbing and revealing that he's just alone and afraid and knows he's a tosser but can't stop, he's just desperate for folk to like him and is terrified that others won't.

But then, at the end, after he leaves, the cameras get a last word from him outside and he just goes right back in to being Brent.

Would also like to see a brief interview with Dawn and Tim who laugh about not getting together and chuckling about the looks and lights touches and hints they never acted on. They'd still be together and be happy, with Tim working elsewhere and doing a distance learning course and Dawn doing some illustrating, but not as a full time living yet.

Gareth would be interviewed and we'd find he is in the exact same position at Wernham Hogg and hasn't changed.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Forgot about what an atrocious human being Glynn is. The only reason he isn't the worst person is because he isn't in it as much as Lee.

He is obviously not a nice guy, but he is also responsible for one of the best moments in the show: his brutal put-down of Anne at the Christmas party. He is an unlikely hero, but probably the only feasible option to give Anne her comeuppance (Lee can't be a hero because we are supposed to hate him; Tim is far too polite/timid to say anything like that, etc.). 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

You’d like to think they’d have gone on to get married and have a family. Tim now a world renowned psychologist and Dawn being lead illustrator for The Beano.

My gut instinct is that Dawn would be most suited to someone with a personality somewhere between Lee's and Tim's, but it would be nice to think that they went on to be a happy couple. 

At least the little handicapped fella is able minded. Unless he’s not, it’s difficult to tell with the wheelchair ones.

On 01/07/2020 at 14:52, 19QOS19 said:
On 01/07/2020 at 14:31, DrewDon said:
Tim rejecting the opportunity to step into David's job at the end of Series 2 and recommending Gareth instead, even after Neil says it will be temporary and is something like "a bit more work for a lot more money", is why I sometimes struggle to feel overly sorry for him. He is a likeable guy, but he really doesn't help himself at times. 

I always think Tim is a bit of a kiss arse at times. The one that springs to mind is the Muppets theme scene. He is disgusted at Gareth for humming it and once David comes out his face completely changes and he joins in. He also goes out for drinks with them on the odd occasion as well.

Let’s just nip this in the bud just now, he doesn’t join in at all. He actually starts laughing when David walks out, in a sort of ‘what the actual f**k is going on’ way.  But at no time does he join in. 

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

Let’s just nip this in the bud just now, he doesn’t join in at all. He actually starts laughing when David walks out, in a sort of ‘what the actual f**k is going on’ way.  But at no time does he join in. 

Correct. At last. 

Meh. To me it looks part that, part "I better not upset the boss". He has the look of utter disdain towards Gareth and the other guy and keeps a smile on his face from the moment David comes out.

I've been rewatching this as part of a lockdown TV binge (my brother hadn't seen it). It's just great: it's excruciatingly uncomfortable at times but it's a top tier sitcom. David is unlikeable but it's difficult to not pity him. 

I've tried the US version but struggle to get past a season or two because I fall into the trap of comparing them. It's just not as good.

8 minutes ago, yoda said:

I've been rewatching this as part of a lockdown TV binge (my brother hadn't seen it). It's just great: it's excruciatingly uncomfortable at times but it's a top tier sitcom. David is unlikeable but it's difficult to not pity him. 

I've tried the US version but struggle to get past a season or two because I fall into the trap of comparing them. It's just not as good.

They definitely shouldn't be compared because they're so different.

They did try to totally remake it in the first episode of the US series, but it went down so incredibly bad it nearly cancelled the whole series. They had elements of the UK series in the first season of the US one but it was less and less as that season went on and by the second they realised that they (US) were a totally different thing and since them it was 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Meh. To me it looks part that, part "I better not upset the boss". He has the look of utter disdain towards Gareth and the other guy and keeps a smile on his face from the moment David comes out.

As I said a few pages back, David walking out his office singing along to the complete wrong tune has me close to rolling around my floor laughing every time I see it (not literally). I don’t think we should be crucifying Tim because he smirks at it.