Marcus Rashford

Sadly that is true and highlights how f*cked the country is. 
What's sad is that there will be thousands upon thousands of working class Man U and England fans who read that because of who wrote it, maybe even feel a pang of sadness, but then get told to vote Tory by the Sun and blindly do it anyway.

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Marcus Rashford is basically doing the job of the Labour party.

Funding free school meals is the job of the government not of the opposition.

Applying pressure to the government is the labour parties job.

Rashford is doing both roles better than the parties in Westminster

14 minutes ago, 101 said:

He's put a nice thread together on twitter this morning. Sadly one cabinet minister was determined to make an arse of themselves and replied.

She’s getting rightly hounded for it, Piers Morgan leading the charge.

Its a fantastic letter but why does he have to mention he is black? Poverty in UK spans all races.

Looking at figures from the Scottish government for between 2013-18, white British people in relative poverty was 18% while “mixed, black or black British and other” was 38%. Poverty spans all races but more BAME people are in poverty than white.

46 minutes ago, throbber said:

She’s getting rightly hounded for it, Piers Morgan leading the charge.

Morgan has been outstanding during the pandemic. Obviously made horrible mistakes in the past but he's second to none at the moment.

11 minutes ago, 101 said:

Morgan has been outstanding during the pandemic. Obviously made horrible mistakes in the past but he's second to none at the moment.

Yeah he has been great, I never was one for taking offence to him before as he always spoke his mind and came across as being genuine rather than trying to pish any sort of agenda.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Yeah he has been great, I never was one for taking offence to him before as he always spoke his mind and came across as being genuine rather than trying to pish any sort of agenda.

I don't think after the phone hacking scandal he can be described as always great. But agree he is usually above pushing an agenda, he's a journalist that won't let anything stop his pursuing a story, that is usually important but sometimes there needs to be boundaries.

15 minutes ago, 101 said:

Gads but I feel a kinship with him at the moment, safe to say you can file me under moronic & naive, never again.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

I don't think after the phone hacking scandal he can be described as always great. But agree he is usually above pushing an agenda, he's a journalist that won't let anything stop his pursuing a story, that is usually important but sometimes there needs to be boundaries.

Yeah I was meaning his recent years on Good morning Britain where plenty were taking offence to him like when he said fat people shouldn’t be models. Also when Ross Greer and him collided over Churchill i don’t have a problem with Morgan’s stance in that argument as it’s clearly what he believes in and he gave Greer plenty of opportunity to get his point across.

Looking at figures from the Scottish government for between 2013-18, white British people in relative poverty was 18% while “mixed, black or black British and other” was 38%. Poverty spans all races but more BAME people are in poverty than white.
Not disputing that at all. The BLM movement is pushing for equality and breakdown of institutional racism which is progressive and right. However this article is about feeding children who are in poverty or in unsafe environments across the UK. Appreciate that %there will be more black than white but overall there will be more white. I'm just questioning why he needs to mention race here.

Not disputing that at all. The BLM movement is pushing for equality and breakdown of institutional racism which is progressive and right. However this article is about feeding children who are in poverty or in unsafe environments across the UK. Appreciate that %there will be more black than white but overall there will be more white. I'm just questioning why he needs to mention race here.

Because it’s a more prevalent issue within that community

And that being the case, what role has institutional racism played in making it so....

Pretty relevant given the current mood of the nation I'd say.

Completely agree, we need to look at why it’s a more prevalent issue within BAME community and addressing that. Urgently though we need the government to do what they can to ensure children don’t go hungry, it isn’t fucking right.