Marcus Rashford

That's an absolutely excellent letter from him. Very well written and raises lots of very important points.

Sadly it seems doomed to fail. This disgusting quote shows the understanding, and indeed level of 'not giving a shit', that most politicians have towards the issue:

I also received a tweet from an MP who told me: “This is why there is a benefit system.” 

Excellent stuff, shows a fair bit of maturity.  

I'd like to think, if I was in his position, I would have done the same, but, off the pitch, I'd probably would have behaved like George Best.

I’ve been getting £33 a week in place of free meals and it’s been a help covering the additional costs of feeding the kids full time.

Stopping it over the summer isn’t going to save the gov that much in the grand scheme of the costs of Covid.

Great letter - but it won't change anything he appears to be very aware but is in the minority of footballers and celebrities he has dipped his pockets and is raising awareness. A lot of footballers and clubs could learn from him and he's right to hold the government to account but I get the feeling being a footballer will undermine him. I would imagine that most footballers and football clubs don't pay their full liability in tax by using perfectly legal loop holes and combine that with the weekends antics being blamed of football "lads" then it's really not a good time for football to be taking the moral high ground as I suspect this will just be ignored.

He's doing amazing work and if he could somehow work with his fellow players they could eradicate food poverty - then we are into the grounds of should private individuals take the place of the government. The fact he has got involved let alone had to donate money to stop kids going hungry in one of the most developed countries in the world has to shame every single person who lives here, sadly those in the highest office won't feel shame at all.

Rashford really is a decent young guy. Unfortunately the Conservative party see things like the rise in food bank usage as an example of how good the food banks are rather than a failing on their behalf. The poor can look after themselves or die, as long as we continue to get richer. We won’t change the tories but we have to try to change the public perception of them and get people seeing them for what they are.

This deserves the maximum publicity it can get. It's a fucking monstrosity that any child can't be fed ffs.

Aye go save all the banks and more recently the airlines but when it comes to the unfortunate? Nah, f**k em. But vote for us.

25 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

This deserves the maximum publicity it can get. It's a fucking monstrosity that any child can't be fed ffs.

Aye go save all the banks and more recently the airlines but when it comes to the unfortunate? Nah, f**k em. But vote for us.

It's going to be amazing to see how they justify renewing trident when it's clear that the main threats against society isn't war (although we didn't try and nuke Covid) whilst at the same time kids will starve people will be evicted and families will break down.

It's going to be amazing to see how they justify renewing trident when it's clear that the main threats against society isn't war (although we didn't try and nuke Covid) whilst at the same time kids will starve people will be evicted and families will break down.

It’ll be along the lines of regardless of everything else, other countries still have nuclear weapons so we need them as a deterrent.
If a country is going to nuke us, I really don’t give a f**k if we’re sending one back and also if a country is going to nuke us I doubt they’ll write ahead and let us know they’re sending one over so we can nuke them back if we so wish.

It’ll be along the lines of regardless of everything else, other countries still have nuclear weapons so we need them as a deterrent.
If a country is going to nuke us, I really don’t give a f**k if we’re sending one back and also if a country is going to nuke us I doubt they’ll write ahead and let us know they’re sending one over so we can nuke them back if we so wish.
Yes. Its utter bullshit. Coupled with that, what about the countries that have loads more nukes than us? The main worry with nukes IMO is a rogue actor getting hold of one. In which case, what use is a nuke?

And like you say, what fucking good to me is a policy of mutually assured destruction? Is that genuinely the only thing stopping someone from nuking us?

Yes. Its utter bullshit. Coupled with that, what about the countries that have loads more nukes than us? The main worry with nukes IMO is a rogue actor getting hold of one. In which case, what use is a nuke?

And like you say, what fucking good to me is a policy of mutually assured destruction? Is that genuinely the only thing stopping someone from nuking us?

Dick measuring and childishness on a global scale. They’ve got so we must have, and bigger better shinier ones. If a country nukes us I reckon “we better nuke them back” is going to be low on the list of things I’ll say when I’m dead.
Fundamentally though, it’s surely just money we could be spending elsewhere I feel.

Rashford really is a decent young guy. Unfortunately the Conservative party see things like the rise in food bank usage as an example of how good the food banks are rather than a failing on their behalf. The poor can look after themselves or die, as long as we continue to get richer. We won’t change the tories but we have to try to change the public perception of them and get people seeing them for what they are.
Dominic Raab said the people who use food banks aren't poor, they just have a cash flow problem.

28 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You would think so but doesn't seem to bother the Italians, Portuguese, Spanish, Norwegians etc. This is probably the best chance we have at getting rid of them but I can't see it.

Anyway back on topic, crazy to think I'm the same age as Rashford, I would hope I'm my life time I can do as much good as he has done up to now.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

It's worked quite well for them recently.