American looking for an SPFL team

29 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If you're a distant observer and just like football, why would you need a team to support?

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

my usual preference is Barcelona

I'm sorry if I am reading your posts in the wrong manner, but is this not exactly what I am getting at?

28 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I'm sorry if I am reading your posts in the wrong manner, but is this not exactly what I am getting at?

We might be at crossed purposes. You don't care therefore don't watch. Not caring about the outcome is a positive for me.

3 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Not sure.

To be honest I was stretching a bit between locked up/long term contracts. Couldn’t really word it in a simple way to cover both sides clearly.

No problem. Let’s just assume Hillary Clinton has kids locked up at Tannadice. 

This needs a poll. Which of the above teams would you choose to support, if you were starting from scratch and had no other choice, and if somebody had a gun to your head.

Naturally, there'd need to be an option of, "just pull the trigger, cunto."

15 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

This needs a poll. Which of the above teams would you choose to support, if you were starting from scratch and had no other choice, and if somebody had a gun to your head.

Naturally, there'd need to be an option of, "just pull the trigger, cunto."

Is that the Alloa option?

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Is that the Alloa option?

I was going to say that was the option for most clubs' fans, before the question was ever asked!

We've really not done a good enough job stressing the absolute misery that encompasses being a Scottish football fan. Frankly, I'm surprised you lot survived the brief period of winning titles and European trophies. Your dopamine receptors must have exploded.

27 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I was going to say that was the option for most clubs' fans, before the question was ever asked!

We've really not done a good enough job stressing the absolute misery that encompasses being a Scottish football fan. Frankly, I'm surprised you lot survived the brief period of winning titles and European trophies. Your dopamine receptors must have exploded.

Luckily I had parents that berated me at every turn so, swings and roundabouts.

26 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Can't wait until he picks Alloa and tells his friends he's a big "Al-lo-ha" fan.

We really do need to get twinned with somewhere in Hawaii, purely to see the look on the faces of their delegates when they come to have a look around the place. Preferably in February.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Last night was perfect for me, even though my usual preference is Barcelona. I don't do tactical analysis. I want incident and goals.

Brilliant game for just all out attacks, not giving a f**k about defending. Personally find that Barca can be boring, their slow methodical build ups, then explosive attacks with precision passes in the final third. Great when it comes off and they score a few, but mostly it just bores me rigid. I much preferred the rapid counter attacking German teams a few years back in the CL, or Bayern last night, just throwing everyone forward to press Barca and not let them play it out of defence.

Agree with you on the not really being invested enough for it to ruin your weekend, then you don't support a team. Or going absolute crazy with joyous celebrations when your team scores, not just letting out a wee YES, but jumping up off your seat and properly celebrating it so all the neighbours can hear.  When we got our 2nd equaliser against Motherwell on Wed night there wasn't anyone passing by my house in any doubt that Livi had just scored.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

17 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Saw this posted on the St Mirren thread.

Couple of questions...

Why have Aberdeen and Hibs been knocked out?

One of your criteria is club colours, Dundee United? Really?

Hibs' colors remind me a bit too much of Celtic.

There's no real reason for Aberdeen.

I actually dig Dundee United's away uniforms. Others may see them as pish (did I get that term right?), but I like them (and purple is the color of my university). If I were going strictly on colors, it would be Killie, as their home unis are straight fire. Plus, I find it awesome they're sponsored by a baker/bakery.

People may find these reasons lame but they are what they are.

17 hours ago, Les Westander of County said:

*flirts* Check out our cute yet comfortable 6,500 seat stadium! 😍

That is actually a reason. Plus, my Scottish heritage (way, way, way back) is from the Highlands, and the fact that County seems to be the lone rural team in the Premiership and kind of feels like an underdog story (which the rebuttal to is they're bankrolled by a multi-millionaire).

Edited by AmericanFan
more

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

'Colors' can be forgiven.
Your ignorance, however, cannot.
emoji16.pngemoji1783.png

Thanks.

One thing to keep in mind is that it isn't an insult if a club is eliminated. It's just me whittling things down. For instance, if someone here were to become an American baseball fan, the only teams that would bug me for you to follow would be the Yankees and Red Sox (and maybe the Dodgers). Those clubs are similar to the OF teams in terms of revenue disparity and are too easy to root for. And the Yankees are basically the scum of the earth when it comes to sports franchises.  (previous 16 words not to be taken too literally)

Edited by AmericanFan
more

Thanks.
One thing to keep in mind is that it isn't an insult if a club is eliminated. It's just me whittling things down. For instance, if someone here were to become an American baseball fan, the only teams that would bug me for you to follow would be the Yankees and Red Sox (and maybe the Dodgers). Those clubs are similar to the OF teams in terms of revenue disparity and are too easy to root for. And the Yankees are basically the scum of the earth when it comes to sports franchises.  (previous 16 words not to be taken too literally)
I was in no way insulted. Without boring the arse off you, I was merely alluding to the fact that Hibs were the first to play in emerald Green by some 13 years. There is also a famous pic of the 1876 Hibs team bedecked in green and white hoops.
As regards baseball, Mrs. FP is from Cincinnati so you can imagine my thoughts on that front.