Football attendances per capita

It's been happening for years.  Falkirk, County, Hibs and Celtic are the ones where I've actually been at the game where they've announced the joke attendance figure.  It's used as positive propaganda for the club so they look good to potential sponsors, signings and in the media.

26 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

My point is that you're saying in no game last season was the attendance lower than the amount of season ticket holders at Kilmarnock. I'd be very hard pushed to make the same claim about Hibs, in particular our game v Ross County on a Wednesday night in February. The official attendance at that was 14.5k. That would suggest around 2k tickets sold over the ST amount. But looking at the stadium it looked like way more than 2k season tickets were unused.

What games were the attendances at Kilmarnock just above ST numbers?

Fwiw I don't disagree with your last point. But I do think that when other clubs are already doing this, not copying them is just putting yourself at a disadvantage. That's just basic game theory.

The final home game before we stopped was a 2-2 draw with Aberdeen where the attendance was 4217. We had roughly 4200 season ticket holders last season, so for us to be counting them the way Celtic or Hibs do you'd have to be saying that there were only 17 away fans or pay at the gate fans, which obviously wasn't the case. Therefore you can assume that we were not including absent season ticket holders in this total.

Slightly off topic, but what is the biggest collection of fans of your own team that you've ever been part of?  Mine, for St Mirren, must be the Scottish cup final of 1987. The attendance (folk actually in the stadium) was listed as just over 50,000. I reckon St Mirren had a larger support that day than Dundee Utd, so I would put our support at around 30,000. That must be the largest gathering of our fans in the last 50 years and a fairly impressive number, if not quite the 200,000 gathered together in a bar in Seville a few years back.

Over to you lot to wave yer willies.

For us it will definitely be the 1997 Scottish Cup final. Total attendance was just under 50k and I'd guess that was nearly 30k in the Killie end.

More recently, we probably had something like 16k/17k at the semi against Ayr in 2012.

The final home game before we stopped was a 2-2 draw with Aberdeen where the attendance was 4217. We had roughly 4200 season ticket holders last season, so for us to be counting them the way Celtic or Hibs do you'd have to be saying that there were only 17 away fans or pay at the gate fans, which obviously wasn't the case. Therefore you can assume that we were not including absent season ticket holders in this total.
Aye, that's completely fair enough.

Slightly off topic, but what is the biggest collection of fans of your own team that you've ever been part of?

League Cup Final 2014 was a bit of a perfect storm for AFC - venue, opponents, novelty factor all leading to an incredible 43,000 reds, with the club saying they could have sold 5k more if we’d been allowed the section above the ICT fans that police insisted was left empty.

I had always thought we were capable of this and it was nice that it was shown to be the case.

Truth be told the Tynecastle semi that season with our 12k hardcore in a full stadium was much more fun.

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

For us it will definitely be the 1997 Scottish Cup final. Total attendance was just under 50k and I'd guess that was nearly 30k in the Killie end.

More recently, we probably had something like 16k/17k at the semi against Ayr in 2012.

Probably closer to 25k when you factor in the neutrals in the main stand.

2012 was one of the rare occasions when a team took more fans to the semi than the final.

Remarkably enough, we took over 17,000 to our Scottish Cup final in 2008.

I shudder to think, however, of how few of those would answer "Queens" if stopped in the street today (or even a few months either side of the game) and asked who they support.

• 1 year later...
On 30/06/2020 at 15:51, Tutankhamen said:

Or you could say the population of Lanarkshire in 2020 is nearly on par with Glasgow.

Park Head 400m from South Lanarkshire, Hampden 750m from South Lanarkshire. alot of North and South Lanarkshire are close to Park head and Ibrox, alot of north lanarkshire is closer to Falkirk, Dunfermline and Raith Rovers. some of south lanarkshire is just as close to Hibs and Hearts. some of the western side of south lanarkshire is closer to Aye and Killie. the most southerly point of South Lanarkshire is roughly the same distance from Firpark as they are to Carlisle. also closer to the likes of queen of the south in alot of south lanarkshire. so to imply that the catchment area for motherwell is the full of lanarkshire is ridiculous as there are about 20 different teams who are closer to at least one point of lanarkshire that motherwell are.