Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

On 03/09/2024 at 19:20, 54_and_counting said:

Hero (or villain) makes a getaway on a bike/in a car in a large city with multiple directions, villain (or hero) gets on another bike/in a car and chases after them, a good ten to fifteen seconds later

Next scene theres literally not even a second between them (john wick 3 im looking at you here) 

City escapes are the worst, at every junction theres 3 different routes to take to escape, after 3 junctions theres no way the chasers would have a f**king clue where you went 

The geometry of going down an alleyway to cut someone's escape off relies on the chaser knowing that the chasee is going to do a full 180 around the block more slowly on proper roads than they can do over dustbins and through ladders. 

On 15/08/2024 at 15:36, scottsdad said:

Hacking into someone's computer by guessing the correct combination of kids names and birthdays

Change your identity, grow a beard and moustache, change your name and appearance but the simple fact is - you won't change your birthday. 

How to get them every single time.

33 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Police are approaching a suspect, who is oblivious to their presence until they shout at him, giving him the chance to leg it.

Christ, I just watched a couple of films where that happened. Suspect walks round the corner a hundred yards away, polis spots him and angrily yells, "OI!" Suspect legs it and somehow gets chased down by plod.

I don't think I've ever seen a film where this happens, the suspect disappears immediately, and the cops are left looking embarrassed thinking, "maybe shouldn't have done that, duh".

(i know why but still sometimes its ridiculous how bad it is) 

Massive battle/fight etc, henchmen for the villain are taken down with a simple throw, trip, one punch etc

But main characters can get smacked about with all sorts and still get up for more

Watched the episode of DS9 "way of the warrior" the other day, the klingons who boarded the station were beaten by simple punches, leg sweeps and uppercuts, warrior race my arse 

14 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Watched the episode of DS9 "way of the warrior" the other day, the klingons who boarded the station were beaten by simple punches, leg sweeps and uppercuts, warrior race my arse 

It was a bit nonsense. Convoluted to get Worf into the show, these big terrifying warriors utterly wiped out by tailors, scientists and the like. If I remember right there's a bit where Worf stabs someone in front of him, then stabs someone behind him right away without looking at him. 

Must rewatch it again soon. 

456ad7c660adca6802dc0c8d190cd647148fc117

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

It was a bit nonsense. Convoluted to get Worf into the show, these big terrifying warriors utterly wiped out by tailors, scientists and the like. If I remember right there's a bit where Worf stabs someone in front of him, then stabs someone behind him right away without looking at him. 

Must rewatch it again soon. 

456ad7c660adca6802dc0c8d190cd647148fc117

Aye was a bit of stupidity, the bit where dukat and garak are defending where the council are, two starfleet people lying dead from blows to the head etc 

Yet all 4 had phasers, how the f**k did the klingons get close enough in a tight hallway to get to them while dukat and garak survive lol

Edit to add, DS9 is still the best of the star trek shows mind you

Edited by 54_and_counting