Raoul Moat - 10 years on

9 minutes ago, throbber said:

Aye I remember you saying actually. It was in Cumbria. 

Used to drive by his house in Rowrah a few times a month afterwards and it was unsurprisingly boarded up for a while. Here's his street of bleak terraced houses off Google maps for anyone who is even remotely interested. 

Screenshot_20200704-155424_Maps.jpg

25 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was going to post similar about how it doesn’t get spoken about as much as Moat considering how many people this guy killed. He was a taxi driver who was an all round pretty placid guy by all accounts who clearly just snapped. He was driving about asking people how their day was before pulling the shotgun out and shooting them. Just absolutely awful stuff. Moat only killed his girlfriends new partner and then himself, he shot and blinded a police officer who took his own life years later.

He shot his ex as well and spread a bit of fear and alarm in the vicinity.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

All amateurs compared to Michael Ryan.

He was much like Bird. There is a commonality in most of the spree shootings in this country. Most wouldn't have been news much outside Newcastle if Gazza hadn't turned up.

Hamilton shot children which set him apart. Usually, despite the horror people move on and the incident needs a hook to stay in the memory.

7 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

All amateurs compared to Michael Ryan.

Ah yes, the Hungerford Massacre.

Apparently his mother was partly to blame for that one. She asked Michael to shoot up the town and get a pint of milk.

Was that also not the time that boy killed some prostitutes with a crossbow and called himself The Crossbow Killer in court then topped himself when these other guys upped the ante and knocked him out the papers

He called himself the Crossbow Cannibal and hasn’t killed himself as far as I know.

Just been reading on Wikipedia about Derrick Bird. The description of events unfolding is terrifying. Boys completely lost it.

Sounds like a combination of numerous things that made him snap. Resigned from his job at the nuclear plant after allegations of theft, got beat up by fare dodgers 3 yrs previously and wasn’t the same after, was being investigated by HMRC over tax evasion, lost money after he sent a grand to his Thai “girlfriend” and she dumped him afterwards [emoji23] and a family feud over his fathers will.

His name was Derek Bird and that happened a month before Moat on 2 June 2010. He killed his own twin brother first then drove about shooting and killing another 11 people before killing himself. Apparently a very nice guy as well.
Aye sounds it. Salt of the earth, couldn't do more for you. Very good.

14 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Just been reading on Wikipedia about Derrick Bird. The description of events unfolding is terrifying. Boys completely lost it.

Sounds like a combination of numerous things that made him snap. Resigned from his job at the nuclear plant after allegations of theft, got beat up by fare dodgers 3 yrs previously and wasn’t the same after, was being investigated by HMRC over tax evasion, lost money after he sent a grand to his Thai “girlfriend” and she dumped him afterwards emoji23.png and a family feud over his fathers will.

When I first came back up the road I worked for Action Fraud for a while. Used to take all these stories of fraud by people who had been duped and, although you had to appear sympathetic, most of the time ye just thought "You fell for that? You fucking plum" almost all of them would then recount stories similar to the one above: the fraud was usually after a bunch of other things that had went tits up. Kinda separate from the Raoul Moat thing but an interesting aside I just realised now.

Anyway no-one's yet mentioned the most fucked up part of the story: a Geordie called Raoul

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I was going to post similar about how it doesn’t get spoken about as much as Moat considering how many people this guy killed. He was a taxi driver who was an all round pretty placid guy by all accounts who clearly just snapped. He was driving about asking people how their day was before pulling the shotgun out and shooting them. Just absolutely awful stuff. Moat only killed his girlfriends new partner and then himself, he shot and blinded a police officer who took his own life years later.

Bird's rampage was quick, brutal and between initial police involvement and his death was about 2 hours. He was also an instantly forgettable guy...taxi driver, wee village, no criminal history and popular by all accounts until he snapped.

Moat's was markedly different. A 6-day John Ramboesque, cross country crusade, played out in real time and on social media for the entire country to see. The perpetrator, a 6ft4 bodybuilder with an unusual name and very distinctive appearance - a fucking hulk of a man with a history of violent crime and roid-ragey outbursts and was well enough known about his city. Horrible a c**t as he was, it had all the makings of something that was absolute box office right from the start and would have still been spoken about to this very day even without the involvement of Gazza.

Paul Gascoigne inserting himself into the biggest stand off in living memory in the UK, live on the phone to Real Radio, in the back of a taxi racing to the scene and proclaiming that he 'knaa's tha lad, an he's a gid lad' is the stuff of absolute legend that tipped it into the realms where no-one would even but it as a work of fiction.

Gazza: ' I mean, I'll just be like Moaty! MOATY!!!!! IT'S GAZZA!! 

The stuff of endearing legend. I don't think it's correct to celebrate the life of a horrible b*****d such as Moat, but I don't think it's wrong to look back on such a time in history and go 'Jesus, that was some story all round'

Edited by djchapsticks

I was at a conference in Spain. The only internet access I had was a couple of wee computers in the foyer of the building. Everything lunchtime I'd come on to P&B and be in absolute stitches about what people were writing here. Some Swedish guy asked what was so funny. The look I got when I explained that "some guy's gone on a killing spree in England but some of the jokes about it on this Scottish football forum are really funny".

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Used to drive by his house in Rowrah a few times a month afterwards and it was unsurprisingly boarded up for a while. Here's his street of bleak terraced houses off Google maps for anyone who is even remotely interested. 

Screenshot_20200704-155424_Maps.jpg

Here's Fred & Rose West's house - 25 Cromwell Street - which serial killer(s) had the nicest place ?

image.png.ea26ac8f92bbbf0fa3cd332bdad2f9d2.png

peter sutcliffe - looks the nicest so far, and that big shed out the back - would have plenty of room for a couple of chest freezers...

image.thumb.png.567f6e1a94e3303f37c9f92ba827bad7.png

Dennis Nilsen - quite like this one - suitably gothic place for murders and stuff,,,

image.png.3c7c8c123c12d7a10fa949e2dafd85ad.png

The first I became aware of Raoul Moat was a telephone call from someone in the call centre at my work. Had not long started a new role at my work involving a bit more travelling about. My first job on the day in question had been in Eyemouth with the next job across in Newcastleton. Having finished at Eyemouth I jumped in the van and put Newcastleton into the satnav and went on my way. The quickest route on the satnav took me over the border and through Northumberland. Driving along I get a call from some girl in the call centre to say my van tracker had flagged up that I was in Northumberland and advising me to stay alert and be careful as a gunman was on the run in the area.