Cancel culture

14 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

Pardon my thickness, but are you inferring wokeness/cancel culture originates from the right? 

Wokeness has been co-opted by the Right from leftie black Americans to ridicule anyone on the left or progressives. Your harping on about the 1 percenters is defenitely woke material. Cancel culture is just something people like Lawrence Fox invented when nobody would give him any work because he's a twat.

Guest Bob Mahelp
34 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

Pardon my thickness, but are you inferring wokeness/cancel culture originates from the right? 

Nope. What I'm saying is that the right wing are deliberately using negative, perjorative terms....'wokeness, cancel culture'....in a deliberate attempt to shut down justifiable discourse or criticism. It's an attempt to label those who disagree with the (current)  right wing view on the world in the UK, as extremists. 

So we're very quickly reaching the point in UK society where those who stand up for equal rights......the rights of homosexuals, of immigrants, of disabled, of anyone seen as 'different' from the white, anglo saxon, heterosexual mainstream.... are being denigrated as extremists.  Those who question the white, anglo saxon view of UK history (Empire + 2nd world war = UK always good) are being accused of being extremists. 

We're in a very dangerous point in history in the UK. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Wokeness has been co-opted by the Right from leftie black Americans to ridicule anyone on the left or progressives. Your harping on about the 1 percenters is defenitely woke material. Cancel culture is just something people like Lawrence Fox invented when nobody would give him any work because he's a twat.

Absolute nonsense. 

57 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Nope. What I'm saying is that the right wing are deliberately using negative, perjorative terms....'wokeness, cancel culture'....in a deliberate attempt to shut down justifiable discourse or criticism. It's an attempt to label those who disagree with the (current)  right wing view on the world in the UK, as extremists. 

So we're very quickly reaching the point in UK society where those who stand up for equal rights......the rights of homosexuals, of immigrants, of disabled, of anyone seen as 'different' from the white, anglo saxon, heterosexual mainstream.... are being denigrated as extremists.  Those who question the white, anglo saxon view of UK history (Empire + 2nd world war = UK always good) are being accused of being extremists. 

Yes, I can go with that. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, BlueBear said:

It could be argued that it does. 

The McCarthy witchhunts in the 50s, the obscenity trials over various publications in the 60s and the various attempts at shutting down heavy metal or rap music in the 80s were pretty much the work of conservatives.

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's interesting to note that the same high level politicians who 3 weeks ago were refusing to condemn the booing of the England team taking the knee, and who have merrily been surfing the wave of 'anti wokeism', are now the ones happily being pictured in England shirts and professing their undying love for England's multi-cultural and ever so progressive footballing stars. 

Right wing populism, eh. Whatcha gonna do ? 

15 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's interesting to note that the same high level politicians who 3 weeks ago were refusing to condemn the booing of the England team taking the knee, and who have merrily been surfing the wave of 'anti wokeism', are now the ones happily being pictured in England shirts and professing their undying love for England's multi-cultural and ever so progressive footballing stars. 

Right wing populism, eh. Whatcha gonna do ? 

I mentioned this on another thread. That was some fucking volte-face by Lozza Fox the other day.

Ricky Gervais is interesting in as much as he seems to have no idea why people love The Office and I'm not sure it's as simple as saying it was Merchant who was the brains behind it. He did play Brent perfectly in the original run.

• 2 weeks later...

The director of the opening ceremony in Tokyo has been punted after a joke he made in a stand up show in 1998 attracted criticism.

Not heard the joke in context, news reports saying it was about the Holocaust.

• 1 month later...

Recently someone (an idiot) posted about North Korean defector Yeonmi Park and her description of American colleges and cancel culture being incredibly valuable. Well who could have suspected she'd turn up on Joe Rogan saying literally any old shit? 

apparently this is far from an outlier in terms of obviously false NK stories and her own personal story changes every time she tells it. 

Media literacy, ability to critically examine sources and credulity are much bigger problems than "Cancel Culture".

On 09/07/2021 at 18:09, Bob Mahelp said:

Unfortunately, many of those who publicly and vocally stand up for minorities do cross the line and behave as extremists. So that doesn’t really help with things.

7 hours ago, Thorongil said:

I see Saint Janey Godley is immune to cancellation.

It was weird to see her blame trolls, for want of a better word, baiting her into using hateful language from what I can see, using the N word is completely unprovoked. Weird.

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

It was weird to see her blame trolls, for want of a better word, baiting her into using hateful language from what I can see, using the N word is completely unprovoked. Weird.

A lot of people who normally scream for cancellation taking a somewhat more circumspect approach regarding Godley. 

hmmmmmmm.

26 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Big "Roy" Chubby Brown has been cancelled from performing at the Sheffield City Hall.

Snowflakes overreacting or gammon humour that belongs in the stone age?

0_FMF_SDR_23042018CHUBBY20JPG.jpg

I'm not overly familiar with his ouevre but if the people who run the theatre want to him to f**k off then i don't think the state should interfere with their right to free speech.