Cancel culture

Recently someone (an idiot) posted about North Korean defector Yeonmi Park and her description of American colleges and cancel culture being incredibly valuable. Well who could have suspected she'd turn up on Joe Rogan saying literally any old shit? 

apparently this is far from an outlier in terms of obviously false NK stories and her own personal story changes every time she tells it. 

Media literacy, ability to critically examine sources and credulity are much bigger problems than "Cancel Culture".

On 09/07/2021 at 18:09, Bob Mahelp said:

Nope. What I'm saying is that the right wing are deliberately using negative, perjorative terms....'wokeness, cancel culture'....in a deliberate attempt to shut down justifiable discourse or criticism. It's an attempt to label those who disagree with the (current)  right wing view on the world in the UK, as extremists. 

So we're very quickly reaching the point in UK society where those who stand up for equal rights......the rights of homosexuals, of immigrants, of disabled, of anyone seen as 'different' from the white, anglo saxon, heterosexual mainstream.... are being denigrated as extremists.  Those who question the white, anglo saxon view of UK history (Empire + 2nd world war = UK always good) are being accused of being extremists. 

We're in a very dangerous point in history in the UK. 

Unfortunately, many of those who publicly and vocally stand up for minorities do cross the line and behave as extremists. So that doesn’t really help with things.

7 hours ago, Thorongil said:

I see Saint Janey Godley is immune to cancellation.

It was weird to see her blame trolls, for want of a better word, baiting her into using hateful language from what I can see, using the N word is completely unprovoked. Weird.

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

It was weird to see her blame trolls, for want of a better word, baiting her into using hateful language from what I can see, using the N word is completely unprovoked. Weird.

A lot of people who normally scream for cancellation taking a somewhat more circumspect approach regarding Godley. 

hmmmmmmm.

26 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Big "Roy" Chubby Brown has been cancelled from performing at the Sheffield City Hall.

Snowflakes overreacting or gammon humour that belongs in the stone age?

0_FMF_SDR_23042018CHUBBY20JPG.jpg

I'm not overly familiar with his ouevre but if the people who run the theatre want to him to f**k off then i don't think the state should interfere with their right to free speech. 

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Recently someone (an idiot) posted about North Korean defector Yeonmi Park and her description of American colleges and cancel culture being incredibly valuable. Well who could have suspected she'd turn up on Joe Rogan saying literally any old shit? 

apparently this is far from an outlier in terms of obviously false NK stories and her own personal story changes every time she tells it. 

Media literacy, ability to critically examine sources and credulity are much bigger problems than "Cancel Culture".

She claimed there is no such thing as dessert in North Korea. The ice cream company in her post is the same one Nancy Pelosi's fridge was full of and Biden's campaign spent $10,000 on.

The owner of the ice cream company is connected to Les Wexner the guy who gave Epstein hundreds of millions of dollars out of the goodness of his heart. 

It's a strange old world. 

Screenshot_2021-09-08-17-23-10-790_com.twitter.android.jpg

Edited by Detournement

19 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

It's the 'state' who run the theatre. Local cooncil.

They fund it through a trust thst runs it independently apparently. The councilors were very clear about that, as i would be if i was in an ethnic minority and being blamed by a stupid angry mob for spoiling their racist fun. 

3 hours ago, 101 said:

Did she use the N word?

i was thinking when i read she got 12k for a public health message she should do that for free but i guess it must be the norm to get paid is it?  I stupidly thought “celebs” would do that sort of stuff for free, expenses only at most

Edited by BigDoddyKane

• 5 weeks later...

Guy teaches a class on Othello and got cancelled for making the students watch the 1965 film with Laurence Olivier as Othello also starring Maggie Smith and Michael Gambon. 

This Dunstin Diamond alike was so traumatised he started a petition to have the professor disciplined.

20211008_191529.jpg

I'd been assuming that "cancellation" meant getting the bullet from your job, but it's amazing how often being cancelled amounts to voluntarily withdrawing from something after complaints that you've been a w**k.

9 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'd been assuming that "cancellation" meant getting the bullet from your job, but it's amazing how often being cancelled amounts to voluntarily withdrawing from something after complaints that you've been a w**k.

The Chinese-American professor who is also a successful composer is no longer teaching the class and has been reported to various bodies that investigate racism because a bunch of 18 year old white students who have just arrived at university decided watching a mainstream Oscar nominated movie from the 60s was traumatic for them.

I'd say that's a cancelling.

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Chinese-American professor who is also a successful composer is no longer teaching the class and has been reported to various bodies that investigate racism because a bunch of 18 year old white students who have just arrived at university decided watching a mainstream Oscar nominated movie from the 60s was traumatic for them.

It certainly seems to match up with what I'm understanding a "cancelling" to be.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Pity, he was showing The Black and White Minstrels next week.

Olivier's Othello didn't go down too well when it came out either, in 1966.

However, one bold and singular aspect of this production immediately impels the sensitive American viewer into a baffled and discomfited attitude. That is the radical makeup Sir Laurence has chosen to use in his powerful and passionate characterization of the jealous Moor.He plays Othello in blackface! That's right, blackface—not the dark-brown stain that even the most daring white actors do not nowadays wish to go beyond. What's more, he caps his shiny blackface with a wig of kinky black hair and he has the insides of his lips smeared and thickened with a startling raspberry red. Several times, in his rages or reflections, he rolls his eyes up into his head so that the whites gleam like small milk agates out of the inky face.The consequence is that he hits one—the sensitive American, anyhow — with the by-now outrageous impression of a theatrical Negro stereotype. He does not look like a Negro (if that's what he's aiming to make the Moor)—not even a West Indian chieftain, which some of the London critics likened him to. He looks like a Rastus or an end man in an American minstrel show. You almost wait for him to whip a banjo out from his flowing, white garments or start banging a tambourine.What's more, he speaks at the beginning in a deep, densely dignified voice that distractingly reminded this viewer of Amos in the old Amos 'n' Andy radio serial.

https://www.nytimes.com/1966/02/02/archives/the-screen-minstrel-show-othelloradical-makeup-marks-oliviers.html

Edited by welshbairn

I've always found the concept of a white actor going all out blackface absolutely comical to be honest. There's no way you can show up on screen and try to be taken seriously with a full Al Jolson face on. Even back in the day it must have been completely ridiculous looking.

Im also not at all offended by it, not because it's inoffensive content, but much in the same way it's not my place to tell people in minorities what isn't offensive, it's not my place either to tell them what is. I can't get on board at all with a pasty skinned wee bunch of 18 year old white guys telling other people what is and isn't culturally appropriate.

Lobbying hard to get a film or book removed from a school curriculum because you find the content to be uncomfortable is not revolutionary or forward thinking. In a completely ironic turn of events, it's actually a form of whitewashing.