Cancel culture

this pretty much. Jeet Heer was the most disappointing signatory.
I don't know who jeet is but if you scroll to the reply, they've pointed out that it's not a very good analogy, because it's a very different point.

There are people who's views i strongly disagree with on that list, and there are people who i have a lot of respect for.

I find it difficult to find much disagreement with the actual content of the letter - but folk are pretty het up about it.

I don't think 'cancel culture' is the most worrying thing in our world right now, but I'm surprised that so many people aren't troubled by it.

31 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I’m cisgendered so I feel I should be on the same side as the feminists

But I also have a cock and balls so I should probably be on the same side as the trans women

It’s confusing

Are you familiar with FaceApp?

15 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I find it difficult to find much disagreement with the actual content of the letter - but folk are pretty het up about it.

You keep returning to this point and it makes me hope and pray that you aren't a History teacher otherwise I'll be wondering whether your Higher students are being sufficiently prepared to tackle their source questions.

I'm not sure if it's being shut in the house for months but my tolerance for this "marketplace of ideas" bullshit has completely evaporated. Both sides-ers essentially make out that calling a racist a racist is just as offensive as making racist comments.

"You'll never win them over by calling them racist" - I don't want to win them over. They're scum.

Both sides-ing is what leads to c***s saying throwing a milkshake at Tommy Robinson is in the same stratosphere as Jo Cox being murdered in the street. If only someone had tried to debate her killer eh.

15 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

The letter says stuff like 'editors losing their jobs' because they can't say they're sad James Bennet got sacked for publishing a republican senator calling for troops to be sent in to crush BLM protests because that can't be defended. But it's what a lot of them mean.

"Cancel culture" is just the consequences of spouting bigoted rhetoric. People voting with their feet.

I take it apartheid South Africa was "cancelled" in the early 90s?

16 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

"Cancel culture" is just the consequences of spouting bigoted rhetoric. People voting with their feet.

Nazism and Fascism were cancelled in the 1940s too, by a bunch of intolerant lefties  who wanted to stifle free speech.

32 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I'm not usually one for dots, but a red for this is a red in support of Apartheid @Burnieman

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I'm not usually one for dots, but a red for this is a red in support of Apartheid @Burnieman

Oh the utter irony, like you give a shit about the contents of posts you systematically red dot 😂

Edited by Burnieman

Just now, Burnieman said:

Oh the utter irony, like you give a shit about the contents of posts you systematically red dot 😂

If you can find any evidence of me "red dotting" an anti-Apartheid post I'd be keen to see it.

Do you support racial segregation?

Just now, Marshmallo said:

If you can find any evidence of me "red dotting" an anti-Apartheid post I'd be keen to see it.

Do you support racial segregation?

You have red dotted posts in the past concerning charity fund raisers simply because of the person who was posting it you hypocritical headcase.

3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

You have red dotted posts in the past concerning charity fund raisers simply because of the person who was posting it you hypocritical headcase.

That'll be a no then. Meanwhile you're supporting Apartheid. 

Just now, Marshmallo said:

That'll be a no then. Meanwhile you're supporting Apartheid. 

It's a pathetic sight to watch you try and grandstand, when you are well known for indescriminate campaigns of red dotting against members of this forum because they had the audacity to disagree with you. You are renowned for it. Completely weird and disturbing behaviour.

You keep returning to this point and it makes me hope and pray that you aren't a History teacher otherwise I'll be wondering whether your Higher students are being sufficiently prepared to tackle their source questions.
[emoji1787][emoji1787]
I'm not sure if it's being shut in the house for months but my tolerance for this "marketplace of ideas" bullshit has completely evaporated. Both sides-ers essentially make out that calling a racist a racist is just as offensive as making racist comments.
"You'll never win them over by calling them racist" - I don't want to win them over. They're scum.
Both sides-ing is what leads to c***s saying throwing a milkshake at Tommy Robinson is in the same stratosphere as Jo Cox being murdered in the street. If only someone had tried to debate her killer eh.

Can i ask, are you this intolerant of other people's views on real life? Or just on the Internet?

Genuine question. You're incredibly dismissive of anyone who disagrees with you.

Fair enough if you're one of those folk that 'tells it like it is' - to folks faces, you can't dispute their honesty.

That's a horrible comparison, mate.

That was a clear campaign, with clear objectives. In my view there no ambiguity in that debate. It's incredibly clear cut.

For me the two biggest issues with cancel culture relate to how i see the trans debate being conducted, and the recent anti - semitism scandals of the labour party.

Internet pile-on's and then knee-jerk reactions, and too often i see folk wanting to have views dismissed entirely, rather than deconstructed. My view on these two issues are not in any way set, and i think they've got layers of complexity that need to be untangled. But that's not how it seems to ever play out.

Just now, Burnieman said:

It's a pathetic sight to watch you try and grandstand, when you are well known for indescriminate campaigns of red dotting against members of this forum because they had the audacity to disagree with you. You are renowned for it. Completely weird and disturbing behaviour.

Pathetic 

Indiscriminate campaigns 

Audacity 

Renowned 

Completely weird and disgusting 

As this man votes down anti-Apartheid posts. I went to a large state school in Larbert, but even I know anti anti is a double negative!

Just now, pandarilla said:

emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png
Can i ask, are you this intolerant of other people's views on real life? Genuine question. You're incredibly dismissive of anyone who disagrees with you.

Fair enough if you're one of those folk that 'tells it like it is' - to folks faces, you can't dispute their honesty.

If someone is racist in person I will tell them they're a racist and we see how things go from there, yes.

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Pathetic 

Indiscriminate campaigns 

Audacity 

Renowned 

Completely weird and disgusting 

As this man votes down anti-Apartheid posts. I went to a large state school in Larbert, but even I know anti anti is a double negative!

Nice try weirdo.

As I said, you're renowned for red dot campaigns regardless of the content of the post, charities, memorials, doesn't matter.  It was the person making the post you were only interested in. Weird.

You went to a state school in Larbert, I was married in post-apartheid South Africa.  Don't go down that road, you'll make an even bigger tit of yourself.

Edited by Burnieman

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Nice try weirdo.

As I said, you're renowned for red dot campaigns regardless of the content of the post, charities, memorials, doesn't matter.  It was the person making the post you were only interested in. Weird.

You went to a state school in Larbert, I was married in post-apartheid South Africa.  Don;t go down that road, you'll make an even bigger tit of yourself.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

nice avatar

That was actually prompted by a consistent campaign of red dotting from weirdo Mallo.   I think I disagreed with him once on something or another and that was that.

I'm actually nice to everyone else, almost.

3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

That was actually prompted by a consistent campaign of red dotting from weirdo Mallo.   I think I disagreed with him once on something or another and that was that.

I'm actually nice to everyone else, almost.

We will let the people reading this thread decide who is "nice", brother.