WoSFL Premier Division thread

The dross is slowly but surely being removed from the Lowland League.

Of the current 18 clubs - 2 can't go anywhere.

Four are from the original founding members and it looks like one of those will be promoted (EK) and one will likely be relegated this year or next (Gretna).

Four clubs applied after the initial season and one of those (Edinburgh Uni) will likely be gone soon.

That leaves 8 clubs as a result of what happened on the park.

So within three years the Lowland League will be the most competitive with a real prize on offer. At the moment from the West perspective winning promotion is only a prize on the way to the SPFL.

18 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

The dross is slowly but surely being removed from the Lowland League.

Of the current 18 clubs - 2 can't go anywhere.

Four are from the original founding members and it looks like one of those will be promoted (EK) and one will likely be relegated this year or next (Gretna).

Four clubs applied after the initial season and one of those (Edinburgh Uni) will likely be gone soon.

That leaves 8 clubs as a result of what happened on the park.

So within three years the Lowland League will be the most competitive with a real prize on offer. At the moment from the West perspective winning promotion is only a prize on the way to the SPFL.

Any idea what league Gretna have nominated if they go down?

I still think there is other issues with the LL, clubs in it bar a few are relatively not well supported, I would assume the average gate at most West teams will far better the LL teams. This has a detrimental effect to income along with the considerable amount needed for travel. Secondly I feel many of the grounds are simply soulless, yes one or two decent ones however I am stuck in the old days where I can't see any valid reason to have a match pitch that is plastic. 

19 minutes ago, fieldsofdreams said:

Any idea what league Gretna have nominated if they go down?

South of Scotland League.

I still think there is other issues with the LL, clubs in it bar a few are relatively not well supported, I would assume the average gate at most West teams will far better the LL teams. 

Really? I would say only Auchinleck, Beith, Clydebank, Irvine Meadow & Pollok have significant supports. (Add Kilwinning & Kilbirnie from the Division below). I would imagine the ex-SPFL clubs will have higher attendances than the remaining Premier clubs. More or less the same in each Division (just now) and this will improve over the next three years.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Some WOSL premier clubs like Beith and Troon (?) will have already started in the licensing system before the SFA stopped accepting new applications, so it's not necessarily safe to assume that no other clubs will achieve licensing soon.

Why is Troon going for it, no disrespect to them however they are a team that has rarely challenged for anything. I can't see them moving up the ranks anytime soon. 

15 minutes ago, fieldsofdreams said:

Why is Troon going for it, no disrespect to them however they are a team that has rarely challenged for anything. I can't see them moving up the ranks anytime soon. 

For the same reason as Carluke Rovers and Girvan and Bonnyton Thistle etc, because they are clubs who are run well with all the appropriate standards and qualifications in their personnel, entitling them to a place in The Scottish Cup each season.

1 hour ago, fieldsofdreams said:

To be fair about 95% of clubs at this level rarely challenge for anything.

Even if you look at Premier league level over the last 20 years - Auchinleck have swallowed a huge percentage of trophies and the rest of the cubs occasionally pick up a cup or the odd league.

Beith have probably been the best of the rest but other clubs rarely sustain success and others have majorly underachieved.

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Some WOSL premier clubs like Beith and Troon (?) will have already started in the licensing system before the SFA stopped accepting new applications, so it's not necessarily safe to assume that no other clubs will achieve licensing soon.

Gartcairn too.