WoSFL Premier Division thread

21 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

So you're saying that one of the matches will be totally expense free? That's not true.

Look, I have been winding up the radges who are anti junior for ages on here and using the Scottish Junior Cup to do so. However, I haven't forgotten the old SJFA days when Brown was stealing a full time wage and his pal was turning up with medals in a plastic poke. I thought those days were gone and the SJFA were trying their best to provide a decent cup competition with the lure of decent money, which the SCC isn't. We know that the association has plenty of money and as this competition is really the only thing they have in their locker they should be able to find adequate outside funding for it. Taking the majority of any gate, under any circumstance is ripping it out of the teams involved. But to do so in this competition where they are dangling a prize money carrot is smoke and mirrors stuff.

Shame on them.

ETA- if either team don't have a team bus for a big semi-final like this, it's tinpot behaviour.

The 40/60 split was accepted unanimously by the member clubs at the AGM.

What we had before then was a gate guarantee of £5,000 for the 4 clubs in the semis. That doesn't mean we spent £20,000, it was always considerably less than that.

It didn't matter if it was over 1 leg or 2. All you got was your share of the gate plus a sum from the SJFA to make it up to £5,000 if that gate share came under £5,000.

If your club's share of the gate was £4,500 you got £500 from the SJFA.

If your club's share of the gate was £5,000 or more you got nothing.

Now what you get is your 40% share of the gate plus £5,000 if you lose your semi-final, or 40% share of the gate and entry to the Final where you get a minimum sum of £10,000 if you lose and £20,000 if you win.

4 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I don't recall my club being asked to vote on that, unless it was part of the Constitutional changes at last year's AGM, which it may well have been.

There was no objections raised, therefore it was voted through unanimously.

19 minutes ago, Kennie said:

The 40/60 split was accepted unanimously by the member clubs at the AGM.

What we had before then was a gate guarantee of £5,000 for the 4 clubs in the semis. That doesn't mean we spent £20,000, it was always considerably less than that.

It didn't matter if it was over 1 leg or 2. All you got was your share of the gate plus a sum from the SJFA to make it up to £5,000 if that gate share came under £5,000.

If your club's share of the gate was £4,500 you got £500 from the SJFA.

If your club's share of the gate was £5,000 or more you got nothing.

Now what you get is your 40% share of the gate plus £5,000 if you lose your semi-final, or 40% share of the gate and entry to the Final where you get a minimum sum of £10,000 if you lose and £20,000 if you win.

Why is it just the home club that get's a share?

Did it not use to be both clubs that got a split along with the SJFA?

4 minutes ago, Casper Wilson said:

Why is it just the home club that get's a share?

Did it not use to be both clubs that got a split along with the SJFA?

I believe it is because we thought that was the best way forward for a couple of reasons.

The Home club gains through their own support turning out for the game and also to let the Away committee concentrate on enjoying the game and occasion rather than worrying about fulfilling any duties other than those they would be doing for a normal league game.

Reasonable enough I suppose

But what if the tie is all over bar the shouting as the saying goes after the first leg?

The next home gate will probably be down on the first gate.

Would an even split not have been the better choice?

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Honestly, that is very disappointing IMO. I had thought the prize money was coming from the unspent war chest of the SJFA. To take 60% of four probably well attended gates is extracting the urine. Takes the shine off what is a fine competition and takes us back to the time when we all saw the SJFA for the rogues they were.

But apparently because Clydebank have decided they dont want to be involved with the sjfa we’re the bad guys?lol. 
Cmon man. 

2 minutes ago, Casper Wilson said:

But what if the tie is all over bar the shouting as the saying goes after the first leg?

Would an even split not have been the better choice?

Good enough point.

The reverse might also be the case though. What if the tie is finely balanced? The second leg home team might be the beneficiary.

Which I suppose also makes your case for both teams to be included in the split. 

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

But apparently because Clydebank have decided they dont want to be involved with the sjfa we’re the bad guys?lol. 
Cmon man. 

Here's some news for you.

Nobody really cares what Clydebank does.

13 minutes ago, Casper Wilson said:

That's the price of failure.

11 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Cmon man. 

You, I and everyone know the reason you don't want to take part. To cite financial motives is disingenuous.

57 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You, I and everyone know the reason you don't want to take part. To cite financial motives is disingenuous.

See if folk hate us as much as they go on about on this forum, why tf are they so bothered if we play in the sjfa cup or not? Who cares? 
Our fans dont want the club we own to compete in the sjfa cup, simple as that, some will want this because they dont like the sjfa, some will see it as something thats not in the financial interest of the club, some will see it as unnecessary games in an already long season. Our fans all have different views and opinions on things, my own view isnt that we are ‘better’ or ‘look down on’ the sjfa, just simply not something i want my club to be involved in, again if people want their clubs to compete then i hope they have a brilliant time doing so and stop worrying about other clubs priorities. 

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

See if folk hate us as much as they go on about on this forum, why tf are they so bothered if we play in the sjfa cup or not? Who cares? 
Our fans dont want the club we own to compete in the sjfa cup, simple as that, some will want this because they dont like the sjfa, some will see it as something thats not in the financial interest of the club, some will see it as unnecessary games in an already long season. Our fans all have different views and opinions on things, my own view isnt that we are ‘better’ or ‘look down on’ the sjfa, just simply not something i want my club to be involved in, again if people want their clubs to compete then i hope they have a brilliant time doing so and stop worrying about other clubs priorities. 

Do you not think that failing to have you team/club competing on multiple fronts hinders your chances of success? Unsure if the sole focus for Clydebank was the league this year or if it was a case that you just weren't able to field a competitive team in cup games where the pressure to win or be eliminated is on.  

I think this season if you are not league winners shows that if you don't have a team/committee/manager that are use to winning when it matters then your chances of success in the league is lessened. 

How many of your current squad have had success in their playing careers i.e. league wins, cup wins etc...? Do you have a team of players of coaches with extensive honours to their name? 

As mentioned before our two best signings and the two players that have made the difference to the team in terms of character and getting stuck in are Gee and Leishman as I mentioned the other day. These are two players both who had 10 years plus service at Talbot who have season after season won things. That isn't something getting a uefa B license coach is going to coach into players or having a coach with a "vision" is going to instill into players. I am not saying that either Gee or Andy would be my choice for player of the year however what they bring to the team is invaluable, if we never had their characters around the club this season I think we would be a different team altogether. 

I personally think if Clydebank fail to win the league this season, then short of major investment into the club, I can't see how they can progress when teams are only going to get stronger next season and the already aging Clydebank players get another year older etc...If Clydebank remain a WoS club next season I think it will be a tough season for the fans. 

30 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Do you not think that failing to have you team/club competing on multiple fronts hinders your chances of success? Unsure if the sole focus for Clydebank was the league this year or if it was a case that you just weren't able to field a competitive team in cup games where the pressure to win or be eliminated is on.  

I think this season if you are not league winners shows that if you don't have a team/committee/manager that are use to winning when it matters then your chances of success in the league is lessened. 

How many of your current squad have had success in their playing careers i.e. league wins, cup wins etc...? Do you have a team of players of coaches with extensive honours to their name? 

As mentioned before our two best signings and the two players that have made the difference to the team in terms of character and getting stuck in are Gee and Leishman as I mentioned the other day. These are two players both who had 10 years plus service at Talbot who have season after season won things. That isn't something getting a uefa B license coach is going to coach into players or having a coach with a "vision" is going to instill into players. I am not saying that either Gee or Andy would be my choice for player of the year however what they bring to the team is invaluable, if we never had their characters around the club this season I think we would be a different team altogether. 

I personally think if Clydebank fail to win the league this season, then short of major investment into the club, I can't see how they can progress when teams are only going to get stronger next season and the already aging Clydebank players get another year older etc...If Clydebank remain a WoS club next season I think it will be a tough season for the fans. 

Where are you pulling this "aging" squad from? Maybe 5 or 6 over 30 out of a squad of 25 ..... You do like to manipulate the truth Mr Rhubarb.

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Will you ask Bonnyrigg and Kelty the same question, or only Clydebank?

The fetishism for one contest is a bit tiring.

Clydebank got knocked out the cups early  by Beith, Pollok and Formatine who were top of the Highland league at the time.

Not exactly throwing the towel in against diddy teams to concentrate on the league.

Luck of the draw or lack of it .

Edited by clansman

23 minutes ago, clansman said:

Clydebank got knocked out the cups early  by Beith, Pollok and Formatine who were top of the Highland league at the time.

Not exactly throwing the towel in against diddy teams to concentrate on the league.

Luck of the draw or lack of it .

A 2-1, a pen shootout and a 3-2.   

4 hours ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Kelty have thrown money at the team, the backers left this season to go to Raith. 

There biggest differnece between us and Kelty is they had an established following, social club etc....we are no where near the size of Kelty as a club so a money man was the only way we would progress. 

No they didn't.   Kelty were a run-of-the-mill Fife Junior side with nothing more than a railed off pitch and a small support.  Their "money man" not only challenged the Junior status quo & as a result changed the non-league game forever by moving the club the the EoSFL, he also invested a lot of money off the field and the place is unrecognisable from when he started. He was always going to leave one day but he's left the club in a good place, albeit they may struggle to sustain L1 football long term.

6 hours ago, rhubarb1974 said:

If the South Challenge Cup becomes voluntary, which there is talks of it being voted on.

You've made that up out of thin air.