WoSFL Premier Division thread

56 minutes ago, glensmad said:

He probably doesn't even know himself. He'll probably reply saying something about Sevco.

Nah brother, the Bully Wee

Tick Tock time till the Rutherglen El Classico

Rutherglen Glencairn v Clyde

I said by 2030

Hold on to i check the latest league standings.

Yep things are ticking along nicely.

36 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Nah brother, the Bully Wee

Tick Tock time till the Rutherglen El Classico

Rutherglen Glencairn v Clyde

I said by 2030

Hold on to i check the latest league standings.

Yep things are ticking along nicely.

There aren't many match-attending Clyde fans left in Rutherglen. They left the Royal Burgh two generations ago. Although the Rutherglen Reformer continues to report on their games, you generally have to look on the inside back pages while Glencairn and Cambuslang Rangers are generally on the back page.

On 31/01/2024 at 19:59, Shanner said:

Agreed. Every season the LL gains one or two 'proper' teams from promotion and relegation while the WOS doesn't. I know we're only talking East Stirling and Berwick Rangers here but this must make it more attractive to the more traditional-minded fans. 

Also, the WOS league is inevitably going to lose some of it's best sides as  the LL improves and I don't see those West teams coming back down any time soon, so the WOS Division is going to become ever-weaker quality wise. 

I don't think the drop off in quality will be as drastic as you fear.  There are plenty of players in the WOS league who could play at a higher level but don't because the travel/time commitments are too much.  A look at how competitive the First Division is this year shows a queue of clubs who all have legitimate expectations of playing at premier league level and would probably add just as much to the set-up as some of the teams in the bottom half of the premier.  It would take a long time for any noticeable drop in quality and there will be a limit on how far up the leagues existing WOS clubs can realistically rise.

19 hours ago, rhubarb1974 said:

I can see the LL becoming a closed shop soon. The SPFL do not want to lose clubs that have historically always been in the SPFL. 

The lowland league at the moment still is an unattractive league. In hindsight how the situation has unfolded, I would suspect that a number of teams would have changed their mind on the West of Scotland pyramid system. There has been no real benefit to it. One or two teams forced the idea, Kilwinning Rangers being one, that worked out well for them. Rutherglen Glencairn another, no better off now than before and the champions elect Clydebank who always thought themselves better than juniors, a team most would be glad to see the back off. 

A couple of points - part of the reason for wanting to be part of a pyramid system was so that clubs could rise and fall through the league system depending on performance.  The fact that both Kilwinning and Rutherglen have been relegated in recent years is just part of the risk you take.  It would be naive to think that joining the pyramid would be non stop glory and promotion.

Secondly, joining the WOSFL and gaining a licence has brought Cowdenbeath, Albion Rovers and Forfar Athletic to Kilwinning, along with increased attendances, revenue and community interest in the club, not to mention the media coverage.  With more ties against bigger and established clubs surely to follow in the years ahead, as well as retaining the local aspect of the WOS league, it's been a great move for Kilwinning, even despite last season's setback.

3 hours ago, energyzone said:

A couple of points - part of the reason for wanting to be part of a pyramid system was so that clubs could rise and fall through the league system depending on performance.  The fact that both Kilwinning and Rutherglen have been relegated in recent years is just part of the risk you take.  It would be naive to think that joining the pyramid would be non stop glory and promotion.

Secondly, joining the WOSFL and gaining a licence has brought Cowdenbeath, Albion Rovers and Forfar Athletic to Kilwinning, along with increased attendances, revenue and community interest in the club, not to mention the media coverage.  With more ties against bigger and established clubs surely to follow in the years ahead, as well as retaining the local aspect of the WOS league, it's been a great move for Kilwinning, even despite last season's setback.

Kudos to Kilwinning for moving to a new setup and keeping it on grass. A good match day experience for somebody like me from the East who likes a wee jaunt to the WOSL a few times a season.

On 31/01/2024 at 16:34, rhubarb1974 said:

The Lowland league is the league no one wants to be in, zero crowds, plastic pitches galore, higher costs, further travel. I have yet to see an agruement that the lowland league is a league fans want to be in or a league that anyone really takes note of. It is the graveyard league. 

I wouldnae get too smug about the plastic pitches, 6/16 in the WOSL prem atm. You could lose grass pitches next season to be replaced by Peasy and Drumchapel. Not to mention the Rabs when they move back. Your comments are as prejudiced as Isa Goudie’s (where did he go to anyway??). The LL has its faults but I’m betting you’ve never seen a game there.

Edited by The Mantis

40 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Kudos to Kilwinning for moving to a new setup and keeping it on grass. A good match day experience for somebody like me from the East who likes a wee jaunt to the WOSL a few times a season.

I wouldnae get too smug about the plastic pitches, 6/16 in the WOSL prem atm. You could lose grass pitches next season to be replaced by Peasy and Drumchapel. Not to mention the Rabs when they move back. Your comments are as prejudiced as Isa Goudie’s (where did he go to anyway??). The LL has its faults but I’m betting you’ve never seen a game there.

Kilwinning Rangers new set up is terrible, give me the old Abbey Park anyday. Unless you sit in the uncovered stand you cannot view the pitch at that side at all. between a water tank the stand sat in front of the dug outs, the dug outs themselves. It is very poorly laid out. only place really to stand is behind either goal. 

Plastic pitches will have their day the more research goes into them, Holland the first country to use them are now banning them. Teams should be commended for keeping a grass pitch. 

I have watched many LL games, all seems very false no real passion, history etc...

Drumchapels pitch is a prime example of what shouldnt be allowed, it is a glorified council astro. 

1 hour ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Kilwinning Rangers new set up is terrible, give me the old Abbey Park anyday. Unless you sit in the uncovered stand you cannot view the pitch at that side at all. between a water tank the stand sat in front of the dug outs, the dug outs themselves. It is very poorly laid out. only place really to stand is behind either goal. 

Plastic pitches will have their day the more research goes into them, Holland the first country to use them are now banning them. Teams should be commended for keeping a grass pitch. 

I have watched many LL games, all seems very false no real passion, history etc...

Drumchapels pitch is a prime example of what shouldnt be allowed, it is a glorified council astro. 

I wasn’t sticking up for Drumchapel or plastic in case you never noticed. Just stating facts. You could be looking at 9 out of 16 playing on the plastic very soon. Interesting point about the Netherlands although I think 3G pitches are a one way street.
The Faroe Islands are nearly 100% plastic and they have kids games on all day, their participation levels put us to shame even though the weather is probably worse than here. Same with Norway.

The league has more history than the WOS prem but I’m assuming you mean the clubs. So teams like Tranent, Lithgae, Strollers, Albion Rovers, Cowden, Shire, Bo’ness, Berwick, Gala, have no history? Plus the four that have gone up? Awright then.

No passion? Prejudiced bollocks, how would you even tell?

Zero crowds? Well to be honest most of the fake clubs are the most westerly so you’ve sort of got a point if you live over there. But we’ve got some right good supported clubs in the East.

Btw ask Bonnyrigg, Spartans and Kelty if it’s a graveyard 😂

10 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I wasn’t sticking up for Drumchapel or plastic in case you never noticed. Just stating facts. You could be looking at 9 out of 16 playing on the plastic very soon. Interesting point about the Netherlands although I think 3G pitches are a one way street.
The Faroe Islands are nearly 100% plastic and they have kids games on all day, their participation levels put us to shame even though the weather is probably worse than here. Same with Norway.

The league has more history than the WOS prem but I’m assuming you mean the clubs. So teams like Tranent, Lithgae, Strollers, Albion Rovers, Cowden, Shire, Bo’ness, Berwick, Gala, have no history? Plus the four that have gone up? Awright then.

No passion? Prejudiced bollocks, how would you even tell?

Zero crowds? Well to be honest most of the fake clubs are the most westerly so you’ve sort of got a point if you live over there. But we’ve got some right good supported clubs in the East.

Btw ask Bonnyrigg, Spartans and Kelty if it’s a graveyard 😂

East Kilbride 

Edinburgh Uni

Gretna 2008

Gala Fairydean

Broomhill

University of Stirling

Caledonian Braves

You telling me these aren't plastic clubs? They bring zero to the table in terms of support. Football is all about fans, what is the point in throwing money at something that has no real meaning to anyone.  

Teams like Tranent and Linlithigow Rose yes I accept they will be well supported.

You then have the non-competitive teams of Hearts B and Celtic B. 

The lowland league needs addressed however that won't happen, it should be the Premier Non-league division of both East and West, no B teams, SFA License shouldn't apply you should only need it for access to league 2. 

7 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

East Kilbride 

Edinburgh Uni

Gretna 2008

Gala Fairydean

Broomhill

University of Stirling

Caledonian Braves

You telling me these aren't plastic clubs? They bring zero to the table in terms of support. Football is all about fans, what is the point in throwing money at something that has no real meaning to anyone. 

If some of those clubs count as plastic, then Darvel must be in your book.

9 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If some of those clubs count as plastic, then Darvel must be in your book.

Gala especially. Still matters to a couple of hundred folk by last season’s attendance figures. A good history in the Scottish Cup over the years, but hey,  ‘throwing money at something that has no real meaning to anyone’, oh wait…

9 hours ago, rhubarb1974 said:

You telling me these aren't plastic clubs? 

When did I say that then? I gave you a list of 9 (plus the clubs that have moved on up) and this is your best shot? Some of these will be gone shortly anyway, up or down, makes no difference. Bankies or Broxburn will only strengthen the league next year, pity it couldn’t be both. As you say though, it’s a graveyard 😂

Edited by The Mantis

11 hours ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Out of curiosity, what was it about Abbey Park that you liked so much? Was it the death trap railway sleepers? Or the portacabin dressing rooms with a single shared toilet for 22 players plus officials? Or the frequent sewage leaks into the neighbours gardens? Maybe you just like to piss into a gutter?

Abbey Park was traditional but it was a terrible ground in terms of facilities and an embarrassment for a town the size of Kilwinning, especially compared to some of the other clubs at this level.  It wasn't fit for purpose in the end.

The new ground is far from perfect but it would have saved the club a fortune. The stand is great for watching the game from, but does impede the view along that side of the pitch.  Fortunately the new pitch is a rectangle and good viewing points can be found not just behind the goals...

8 minutes ago, energyzone said:

Out of curiosity, what was it about Abbey Park that you liked so much? Was it the death trap railway sleepers? Or the portacabin dressing rooms with a single shared toilet for 22 players plus officials? Or the frequent sewage leaks into the neighbours gardens? Maybe you just like to piss into a gutter?

Abbey Park was traditional but it was a terrible ground in terms of facilities and an embarrassment for a town the size of Kilwinning, especially compared to some of the other clubs at this level.  It wasn't fit for purpose in the end.

The new ground is far from perfect but it would have saved the club a fortune. The stand is great for watching the game from, but does impede the view along that side of the pitch.  Fortunately the new pitch is a rectangle and good viewing points can be found not just behind the goals...

Must admit I think Buffs Park is an excellent park. Rhubarb must simply be attention seeking.

Laughable for ex Juniors to get up on their high horses about the Lowland League.

The Juniors could have bossed the Lowland League but allowed very bad leadership to keep down the rabbit hole.

So the Boys Club and Eos/SoS took up the mantel.

No point in greeting noo.

22 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

Would love to be in bankies position just now to be honest as points In the bag are totally huge in My experience and it's totally their league to win.

Can you point to where Clydebank Fc touched you?

Elon Musk Blows Goats | @teleskiguy.bsky.social on X: "@ShawnMcBreairty  Point to the spot on the doll where the rainbow pride colors touched you.  https://t.co/JnbqVBtWko" / X

Not a single person is buying that Beith arent in the driving seat now... its their to lose, and i dont think they will, not like they dont have experience from last season!....  which is a bit frustrating given their inability to go up, but it is what it is!

1 minute ago, KirkyRobRoy said:

Elon Musk Blows Goats | @teleskiguy.bsky.social on X: "@ShawnMcBreairty  Point to the spot on the doll where the rainbow pride colors touched you.  https://t.co/JnbqVBtWko" / X

Not a single person is buying that Beith arent in the driving seat now... its their to lose, and i dont think they will, not like they dont have experience from last season!....  which is a bit frustrating given their inability to go up, but it is what it is!

Jesus christ I'm out ...   

8 minutes ago, KirkyRobRoy said:

That’s just incredible🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️, history has taught us points on the board are worth more than games in hand, was exactly the same last season we were in front and teams had to catch up games,(when it was our title to lose apparently) that’s a big reason why we won the league last year.   I would far rather be in Bankies position than ours. 

3 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.4a93852a6dc92625e5241cd1dc16a557.png

image.png.0aa78cce12dd1c69aaaa11ae271c1c16.png

I'm curious - you show one potential extra relegation place in your graphic of the Premier Division, but you don't show it in your graphics of the First, Second and Third Divisions, is there any reason why not ? There are actually technically still two extra relegation places in all of the leagues down to the Third Division. Also, you don't show the potential extra promotion places in the First, Second, Third and Fourth Divisions.

3 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I'm curious - you show one potential extra relegation place in your graphic of the Premier Division, but you don't show it in your graphics of the First, Second and Third Divisions, is there any reason why not ? There are actually technically still two extra relegation places in all of the leagues down to the Third Division. Also, you don't show the potential extra promotion places in the First, Second, Third and Fourth Divisions.

Don't think it's @GNU_Linux graphic.