Czech Republic v Scotland

The formation on Friday wouldn't necessarily have been an issue if the 2nd half performance wasn't a complete disgrace.

Although I do tend to think that if the whole football viewing public, ex pros, pundits etc. are all looking at that team and thinking "eh??" Then probably the players are too. Doing the simple things well is what we should be aiming for as a start. 

20 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

It has to be a back four tonight.

No other nation would continually play their best player out of position like we do with Robertson.

Genuinely worried Clarke will pick the exact same eleven/formation as Friday

Robertson ought to be capable to play in a back five.   He’s only played there a couple of times for Scotland, anyway.  The issue is that Tierney isn’t good enough to re-jig the entire team for, nor is he good enough at his second or third position.  Either he or Robertson plays, not both.  

1 hour ago, staggy1929 said:

for as long as I've been alive Scotland have played well in games they're expected to lose and had memorable shockers against poor opposition. It is what it is, I'm not saying I want us to lose or anything like that. Just can't knock the feeling of this being a massive banana skin game for us.

The record books show that Scotland lose the games they are expected to lose, and have a mixed bag in all the rest.  The whole glorious failure thing is self-serving, ‘wha’s like us?’ bunkum.  

I think the real issue has been 1. The quality of the players, and 2. The quality of the manager.  I don’t think that’s a terrible squad, other than centre back.  I do think Clarke’s looking a little out of his depth.

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Tierney, Robertson, Forrest, McTominay and McGinn were all playing in positions that don't suit them. 

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

A back three with wing backs isn't the worst formation.

Changing formations is a normal and acceptable thing to do but you need to pick them to suit your players. 

The Robertson/Tierney thing is a difficult choice for the manager but Jack or McTominay in the middle of the park isn't. Forrest behind McGinn on the right wing isn't.

If a coach pulls something out the ordinary and the team win then they deserve praise for seeing something that most don't but when the team that is picked has so many questions about who and why they are playing then concerns over the choice of the team are acceptable.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Robertson played wing-back for most of his time at Hull, and Forrest has played there a little bit for Celtic. The positions aren't totally alien to either of them, though I agree it didn't get the best out of either of them.

I never really watched Hull. I'm guessing most of the time wing-back at Hull was basically playing left back in a back 5 given they were usually in relegation battles.

Point is, Robertson needs support when he gets the ball high up the pitch, ala, Armstrong making runs past him etc.

What about playing Robertson and Tierney both on the left side of the field as hybrid full back/wingers? Take turns to push forward while the other tucks in and defends

Marshall

Palmer - Cooper - McKenna - Tierney

McTominay - McGinn

Armstrong - Christie - Robertson

Dykes

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

What about playing Robertson and Tierney both on the left side of the field as hybrid full back/wingers? Take turns to push forward while the other tucks in and defends

Marshall

Palmer - Cooper - McKenna - Tierney

McTominay - McGinn

Armstrong - Christie - Robertson

Dykes

Robertson isn't a fucking winger - this is the whole damn problem!

Why would you play him there when you have actual wingers that can do a far better job?

Edited by ArabFC

Seeing as my revolutionary 3-3-3-1 formation with Oliver Burke in the holding midfield role was getting some stick, I've had another go.

Please note how I have managed to shoehorn 2 left backs into the side. Authentic.

Screenshot_20200907-131444.thumb.jpg.ab09adece59de7c6991545e310900c88.jpg

Robertson isn't a fucking winger - this is the whole damn problem!
Why would you play him there when you have actual wingers that can do a far better job?

Well play Tierney at RB or CB then. A world class player out of position can be better than an average player in position.

Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Seeing as my revolutionary 3-3-3-1 formation with Oliver Burke in the holding midfield role was getting some stick, I've had another go.

Reminds me of a time when a (former) amateur manager read out his team.

He'd set up the team 3-1-3-3 and exclaimed so calmly, you all know what you're doing.

I was playing the '1' and didn't have a fcuking clue. Formations do matter!

13 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Forrest is completely finished, if he was ever up to it in the first place.

Surely you could have shoehorned Greg Taylor in there somewhere as well. Poor effort, Willy.

Clarke is probably thinking make Scotland hard to beat first but the problem he has is he has too many forward thinking midfielders
I don't mind him trying different formations,starting with a formation then change it if it's not working during the game, players need to feel comfortable doing that.
Having a ridged formation all through the game works to a point,asking players to do different things that their club doesn't shouldn't be a problem.
Forrest going back the way isn't his game so for me you can't play him at wing back much the same as Robertson.