OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

10 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Atkinson and Rowles in the Back 4 as Australia beat Peru on penalties to make it to the World Cup

I don’t know if we’ve been promised “World Cup Stars” lately but we’ve apparently got some

Which is nice

Peru weren't great so it was hard to tell, but both played well, Rowles in particular.  Strolled it and got MotM.

9 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Peru weren't great so it was hard to tell, but both played well, Rowles in particular.  Strolled it and got MotM.

In international football when teams meet so infrequently it's difficult to tell quite how good they are relative to each other especially across different confederations.

But Peru finished above Columbia, Alfredo Morelos can't get a game for Columbia, and Morelos gets about 4 goals every 7 games in the SPFL

So by our standards Peru can't be too bad.

39 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

12 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

In international football when teams meet so infrequently it's difficult to tell quite how good they are relative to each other especially across different confederations.

But Peru finished above Columbia, Alfredo Morelos can't get a game for Columbia, and Morelos gets about 4 goals every 7 games in the SPFL

So by our standards Peru can't be too bad.

Not that it is always a great barometer for quality (why do we always use a pressure measurement device for these things? Why not thermometer or hygrometer?) ... but Peru were 20 places ahead of Australia in the FIFA rankings before kick off.

• Arthur Orton changed the title to OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

All the talk, and what action there’s been so far, from the club regarding this transfer window has been about creating strength in depth to cope with the increased workload more than improving the first choice eleven

Which basically means the priority is consolidating third and anything we do in Europe is a bonus 

I’m basically fine with that 

52 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

news just in that with space limited in the other three stands hearts are now selling season tickets for the roseburn stand

These won’t cover the Edinburgh derby but will cover everything else

Old Firm allocation reduced for a second season, great news. 

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I see Hearts are being linked with a £500k move for Shankland. I don’t pay much attention to other teams’ transfers, do Hearts usually pay that sort of money for players?

someone you have in common 

R.09c3cece4377747d143f9ead56cc0e1c?rik=x

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I see Hearts are being linked with a £500k move for Shankland. I don’t pay much attention to other teams’ transfers, do Hearts usually pay that sort of money for players?

I don't think we've paid that sort of fee since the Romanov days. Then again, we've probably never been in a healthier financial state with the 3rd place finish, cup final and guaranteed group stage cash, as well as a possible windfall from Hickey moving.

Anyway, the reports are that it's a lower fee which might eventually get close to £500k with performance-based add-ons. I'd guess it's probably more like £250-300k at most up front.

33 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

4 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I don't think we've paid that sort of fee since the Romanov days. Then again, we've probably never been in a healthier financial state with the 3rd place finish, cup final and guaranteed group stage cash, as well as a possible windfall from Hickey moving.

Anyway, the reports are that it's a lower fee which might eventually get close to £500k with performance-based add-ons. I'd guess it's probably more like £250-300k at most up front.

Even that would make him our record signing since Laryea Kingston  15 years ago

On 19/06/2022 at 23:26, topcat(The most tip top) said:

All the talk, and what action there’s been so far, from the club regarding this transfer window has been about creating strength in depth to cope with the increased workload more than improving the first choice eleven

Which basically means the priority is consolidating third and anything we do in Europe is a bonus 

I’m basically fine with that 

Me too. I think Europe will be a steep learning curve for us this season. Robbie's European exploits last time weren't exactly tremendous and we've got a lot of players for whom it'll be a new experience. Get in, take the cash, give it a swing, learn from it, but ultimately focus on making sure we're back next year and equipped to do well.

I think the structure of the season with the World Cup break might be a really good thing for us. Our run up till December will be hectic, but more so than in a normal season we might get away with going relatively strong relatively often in our line-ups, knowing most of them can have a rest / mini-pre-season again in December.

The last Hearts team to do group stage was the 2004/05 team. That was a really good side with a lot of quality (for our level) in it. We won in Basel, we pumped Braga, we had a really impressive win at Celtic Park, and generally looked very good against good opposition. But we had that hectic autumn and played 53 games and ended up behind Hibs (45 games) and Aberdeen (43 games) despite having a good record against those two. Obviously, there were other problems at the club that season, but there's no doubt that schedule caused an under-performance.

Basically, we need to be like we were last season. Nothing fancy, just win the games we're expected to win and wait for the Massive Mega Bux to roll in again next season. Champions League winners by 2026 or Budge and Robbie OOT!