OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

Kind of ambivalent about Cochrane.

One one hand, there's a reason Championship teams were after him: he's a solid, consistent defender and he's recently turned 22 so there's plenty of opportunity for him to improve. On the other hand, I wonder if he's the type of player who just doesn't have a high ceiling in terms of potential ability and if we might have gone for someone with more pace and attacking ability, especially as we've got plenty of cover at LCB now.

On balance, it's probably a sensible move given we know he can do the job in a few positions. I also wonder if he'll be at wing-back less often this season with Rowles arriving and "freeing" Kingsley to play there.

14 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Kind of ambivalent about Cochrane.

One one hand, there's a reason Championship teams were after him: he's a solid, consistent defender and he's recently turned 22 so there's plenty of opportunity for him to improve. On the other hand, I wonder if he's the type of player who just doesn't have a high ceiling in terms of potential ability and if we might have gone for someone with more pace and attacking ability, especially as we've got plenty of cover at LCB now.

On balance, it's probably a sensible move given we know he can do the job in a few positions. I also wonder if he'll be at wing-back less often this season with Rowles arriving and "freeing" Kingsley to play there.

It’s an eminently sensible move. He knows who he’s signing for, we know what we’re getting  

of course it’s hard to get excited about being “sensible”

But we had a long run of speculative punts at the tail end of the 2nd Levein era and that wasn’t great  

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

On 24/06/2022 at 21:54, Dons_1988 said:

This isn’t a dig at hearts btw but ‘consolidating 3rd’ doesn’t mean a linear progression in crowds, in fact it can almost work the opposite way. 

There was a huge buzz with us in mcinnes’ first couple of years but after 4/5/6 years of consistent league finishes then people get bored and want something new. If hearts finished 3rd 5 times in a row but didn’t win a cup and didn’t progress in Europe then people get bored. 

I take your point but we would have group stage Euro games till Christmas each year. Also I think Edinburgh as a bigger settlement has the potential for a club with bigger sustained crowds.

Anyway, despite the euro money we could always find a way to screw things up so I'm taking nothing for granted, we've not finished top 3 more than twice in a row for a long long time.

55 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It’s an eminently sensible move. He knows who he’s signing for, we know what we’re getting  

of course it’s hard to get excited about being “sensible”

But we had a long run of speculative punts at the tail end of the 2nd Levein era and that wasn’t great  

Not sure if you're classing anyone other than someone who's played for us as a speculative punt but, if you are, the current recruitment set-up seems to have a much better record on that score than Levein/Murray.

My concern with the safe approach is that teams that seek to stand still often fall behind. We may need to improve just to finish 3rd again and, in the 3-4-3, the attacking output of the wing-backs was an area for improvement for me. I wouldn't have been averse to a calculated risk on a more attacking option in that position, in the knowledge that we could fall back on Halliday or Kingsley if needed.

Anyway, it's a fair enough move and there are arguably more pressing areas to improve, so I'm fine with it ultimately.

The Levein/Murray recruitment process was completely speculative, lacked any sort of monitoring or basic governance and ultimately led to the club's relegation after wasting millions of pounds of fans donations. What that has to do with the current recruitment team, who have so far a fantastic record, is beyond me.

Would have preferred us to explore improved options but Neilson obviously thinks he can progress Cochrane and he's a capable player for a side who want to finish 3rd. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I mentioned it numerous times on the topic as I was genuinely bemused at how he was performing. I take it that was just an extremely poor performance by him in the Scottish Cup final?

He was brutal in the Semi too and should have been sent off for me. 

2 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

He was brutal in the Semi too and should have been sent off for me. 

He wasn't even close to being brutal in the semi. Won the ball back for Simms goal and stuck to his task. Was fine, and he had a good season overall. He played 40 games for a team that romped 3rd and got to a cup final, he's a good player with potential to improve. 

He was honking in the final mind but most were.

7 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I mentioned it numerous times on the topic as I was genuinely bemused at how he was performing. I take it that was just an extremely poor performance by him in the Scottish Cup final?

Nobody had a particularly good game in the Scottish cup final. Cochrane's no exception

1 hour ago, Gorgie greatness said:

😭😭😭😭😭

think the majority on this board would take him over rocky every day of the week.

Too fking right.   Doesn't make the boy Cochrane decent though, I thought you could do better. 

29 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

He wasn't even close to being brutal in the semi. Won the ball back for Simms goal and stuck to his task. Was fine, and he had a good season overall. He played 40 games for a team that romped 3rd and got to a cup final, he's a good player with potential to improve. 

He was honking in the final mind but most were.

Fair play.  I thought he was a weak link in the Semi and like I said, lucky to stay on the pitch.  

You will know better having watched him weekly. 

If we're going over this again, the "Cochrane should have been sent off in the semi" straw-clutching relies on the idea he'd still commit the same obviously bookable foul even if he was already on a booking, which is a bit of a leap.