OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

Just reading we're not offering that Joe Wright lad a deal - quite surprised at that as I think he showed up quite well in his trial. 

I have a no-friendly policy, so I've not seen him, but all I'd heard was positive.

Maybe he was asking for too much?

Just reading we're not offering that Joe Wright lad a deal - quite surprised at that as I think he showed up quite well in his trial. 

This is a guy we offered a contract last year before withdrawing it when he got injured. I suspect we were mostly having a look out of courtesy tbh.

He also seems to have been playing Halkett's position in the friendlies, while we're more after someone to fill the Souttar role on the right of the three. Probably someone with a better pedigree or more promise.

It'll have boosted his profile a bit and shown he's fit enough to get back playing games. An English League One team will probably snap him up now.

On 10/07/2022 at 10:26, paranoid android said:

I could have sworn I'd seen that somewhere too, but then there's this in today's News:

Hearts set to offer Joe Wright a contract after trialist completes 90 minutes against Bonnyrigg | Edinburgh News (scotsman.com)

7 hours ago, lennyzer0 said:

I could have sworn I'd seen that somewhere too, but then there's this in today's News:

Hearts set to offer Joe Wright a contract after trialist completes 90 minutes against Bonnyrigg | Edinburgh News (scotsman.com)

That's from Saturday. The Record story that we're not offering him a deal came out after this.

I guess we'll find out soon enough but I'd be surprised if he was ever a serious possibility.

Aye, it just seemed a quick about turn with Wright - positive story on Saturday, then a negative one the next day - I even wondered if there might have been a 'discipline' issue or something. 

You can't trust the press, of course, and priorities can change quickly. 

I know there's still time, but a striker or two has to be the current priority, surely?

It still scares me that Robbie thinks Cheesy Stewart is adequate back-up for Gordon. 

It still scares me that Robbie thinks Cheesy Stewart is adequate back-up for Gordon. 

Stewart is brutal, but Stone is staying with us and going to play for the B team, so if Gordon was to get injured I think he'd come in.  Which is miles better than Stewart, but still quite risky to have no experienced back up worth their salt.

12 hours ago, DC92 said:

That's from Saturday. The Record story that we're not offering him a deal came out after this.

I guess we'll find out soon enough but I'd be surprised if he was ever a serious possibility.

To me it looks like we offered him squad fringe player money but he reckons he can get first team starter money somewhere else. Which would be fair enough

55 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

To me it looks like we offered him squad fringe player money but he reckons he can get first team starter money somewhere else. Which would be fair enough

Given how close together the articles were (an hour or two?) I think it's more a case of one journo getting their wires crossed. Plus the Record one said we wouldn't be offering a deal, not just that he wouldn't be joining. I guess we'll find out  one way or the other if he's in the line-up tomorrow night.

Like I was saying earlier, I think we'll be after a ball-playing CB and that doesn't really leave room for Wright.

Edited by DC92

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

Stewart is brutal, but Stone is staying with us and going to play for the B team, so if Gordon was to get injured I think he'd come in.  Which is miles better than Stewart, but still quite risky to have no experienced back up worth their salt.

I'd certainly be happier with Sly Stone than Stewart whose MO seems to be to give the opposition a two-goal start per game to make things interesting. 

Probably a decent training goalie and good team mate, but an unreliable goalie. 

36 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I'd certainly be happier with Sly Stone than Stewart whose MO seems to be to give the opposition a two-goal start per game to make things interesting. 

Probably a decent training goalie and good team mate, but an unreliable goalie. 

if Stone is at least ready to serve as cover then that’s great and if he isn’t then at least it will be a learning experience if he has to try

The issue we face is that a good experienced keeper  isn’t going to be interested in coming to hearts to serve as understudy to a great keeper

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

if Stone is at least ready to serve as cover then that’s great and if he isn’t then at least it will be a learning experience if he has to try

The issue we face is that a good experienced keeper  isn’t going to be interested in coming to hearts to serve as understudy to a great keeper

I just think we need better back-up than Stewart, and we need to be ushering in a long-term replacement for Gordon - if the plan is for that to be Stone, then fair enough - he's had setbacks at Partick and Albion Rovers, but he has to learn.

Play Stone, and he gains experience that might help him have a decent career - play Stewart, and we drop points.