OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

On 25/04/2023 at 11:06, Tony Wonder said:

Those split fixtures make 3rd look a tall order now.  Aberdeen getting St Mirren at home a 3rd time means they likely just need to win their 2 home games as there's not much chance of us taking anything off Celtic or Rangers.

When you consider it could've been us with the extra home game against St Mirren and playing Celtic when they're on holiday rather than aiming to wrap up the title, I don't think the fixtures could have been any worse.

That result for Aberdeen on Sunday has probably sealed it anyway. The psychological boost of keeping the winning run going while also maintaining that margin for error should see them through. A 2 or 3 point gap with worse goal difference might have provoked a wobble.

The game I go back to in my head is the Rangers game at Tynecastle when Neilson treated it as a free hit to trial his mental tactics instead of just playing a normal, solid team and seeing if we could get a result. It was an unbelievably stupid act of hubris which ended a long unbeaten run and dented confidence. The team selection at Pittodrie when a point would have kept them 7 behind was almost as bad. 

Anyway, I'm finding it hard to feel too hard done by at not finishing third this season. There's no question we'd have more points without the injuries but those were known about early on and performances have ranged between dreadful and mediocre for the most part. Even when we had a bit of a gap in February I never felt 100% confident because the tactics blatantly were not working by that point (admittedly I didn't think Aberdeen were the most likely candidates to overtake us).

The only glimmer of positivity to this shit show is that Aberdeen will probably be forced to hire Robson now. Okay, he might end up being a brilliant manager for all we know, but there isn't much to go on at the moment. This winning run started when expectations were zero and they've pretty much ridden the crest of a wave since. Our results in December/January are proof of the power of momentum in football and how that can distract from the bigger picture.

Aberdeen getting a result on Saturday has really stuffed us,  whereas I feel we've generally just accepted OF matches now are a loss. Fair play to Aberdeen, and the run of form they are on is incredible.

I do wonder though - take 4-6 nailed on starters out of any other team and how do they do...

17 hours ago, DC92 said:

The game I go back to in my head is the Rangers game at Tynecastle when Neilson treated it as a free hit to trial his mental tactics instead of just playing a normal, solid team and seeing if we could get a result. It was an unbelievably stupid act of hubris which ended a long unbeaten run and dented confidence.

It ultimately resulted in Neilson getting sacked. Seems clear the players lost trust in him, and led to the awful run up to the Ross County game.

The two 'best-case' scenarios we're looking at are winning v Aberdeen, Hibs and St Mirren and hoping Aberdeen lose to both Celtic and Rangers plus drop points at home to St Mirren and/or Hibs; or we pick up points against Celtic and/or Rangers as well as winning the other three. Both seem unlikely at this stage.

(Obviously winning all five games would be THE best-case scenario.)

Unless Naismith shows something outstanding,  I imagine we are looking for someone new.

Now ok, 3rd is looking harder than it probably should have been, but assuming we get at least 4th, there is a good chance of European football.

We have a decent squad, and a solid financial base. I imagine that we look potentially very attractive, and it's pretty rare that a manager gets brought in to a club not-really-in-crisis. 

James Wilson has signed a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd. Very positive piece of news that, looked like he was off with lots of English teams being interested in him. We'd likely only have gotten about £100k as a development fee.

7 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

James Wilson has signed a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd. Very positive piece of news that, looked like he was off with lots of English teams being interested in him. We'd likely only have gotten about £100k as a development fee.

Does this coincide with Robbie fucking off  as no yoof was breaking through with him🤔

33 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Does this coincide with Robbie fucking off  as no yoof was breaking through with him🤔

I assume they've been working on it for a while, but it does seem a pretty big coincidence we were pretty much resigned to losing him and then he stays.  Good week on the youth front, also signed up McLuckie and Tait.

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Useless Embra polis 

Because of a concert at Murrayfield ages after folk will have left Tynecastle 

I’m working at murrayfield & is concert related but I’m in on the 17th haven’t bothered to find out who’s playing. Must roll on for a couple o days

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Useless Embra polis 

Because of a concert at Murrayfield ages after folk will have left Tynecastle 

If the game was 3 the gates for the concert would be about an hour after FT. All the surrounding areas and roads would be a mare. As would spaces for away fan parking etc

11 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

If the game was 3 the gates for the concert would be about an hour after FT. All the surrounding areas and roads would be a mare. As would spaces for away fan parking etc

also if it was at 3:00 on Saturday hearts tv couldn’t broadcast it domestically 

Posting here rather then the matchday thread, but has anyone any idea if/when tix will be made available to the likes of me who have a measly number of loyalty points? My chances this year of getting up for a match have been limited, so I'm in a vicious circle of ever-reducing LP balance 😂

That said, not sure about going to see Celtic likely win the title (defeatist I know)

5 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Posting here rather then the matchday thread, but has anyone any idea if/when tix will be made available to the likes of me who have a measly number of loyalty points? My chances this year of getting up for a match have been limited, so I'm in a vicious circle of ever-reducing LP balance 😂

That said, not sure about going to see Celtic likely win the title (defeatist I know)

What games are for sale on the website? I'd have thought the Aberdeen game with the early kick-off would be doable.

Do you need points to buy home tickets?

13 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

What games are for sale on the website? I'd have thought the Aberdeen game with the early kick-off would be doable.

Do you need points to buy home tickets?

Yeah you need LP for the Celtic match. Never normally an issue for me as I can't be fooked with Old Firm matches. Sadly I'm only up for the weekend. 

Ah well there's always next season! 

Edited by Stylish Kid