OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's a different dynamic. Losing to Rangers in game one of thirty-eight is a different thing to a two-legged tie which is your only shot at getting into the Europa League. And we didn't start that game already a goal down.

I think if we'd had different players available, we'd have played it in a different way. But making sure we didn't lose it early was fine. People watch these games like they are normal games. We see it in match threads on here all the time. People saying it's dull, or wanting more aggression etc. But that's how teams tend to play these ties. You stay in them, then you try to win them.

I've got no issue with last night up to half time.

Rangers was one of four games I mentioned. The other three were knockout European ties, two of which we did start a goal down. We also had the safety net of dropping into a different (arguably preferable) competition last night whereas any point gained in the league could be critical.

Whether you think the line-up is wrong from the start or not, taking 70 minutes to change it is a big concern.

Last night was disappointing, but I really didn't think the team was so awful as to deserve a round of boos at what 70-something minutes. Some people need to give their heads a wobble.

I'm not at panic stations yet, but a win against United at the weekend is a must. 

I'm also pretty relaxed about dropping into the UCL, as I've said before you can make up the difference in money by winning a few games which we are far more likely to do. I'm looking forward to it!!

14 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Rangers was one of four games I mentioned. The other three were knockout European ties, two of which we did start a goal down. We also had the safety net of dropping into a different (arguably preferable) competition last night whereas any point gained in the league could be critical.

Whether you think the line-up is wrong from the start or not, taking 70 minutes to change it is a big concern.

One of the games you mentioned was two years ago with a different coach. That's not tremendously relevant to last night. And I think Plzen are a substantially better side than Rosenborg were.

The safety net thing won't really come into it for the coach. He's just trying to win the game.

Look at Plzen's European record. They go around Europe keeping clean sheets aainst sides better than us. The idea we were going to steamroller onto them and beat them by going gung-ho without our main attacking threat is pretty far-fetched.

Naismith did his sums and reckoned we could play them on the front foot for 20 minutes or so, and decided to stay in the game till then. That's not mad.

I agree it should have changed earlier. But I think when you take all the factors into consideration, his approach was sensible last night.

Back four on Sunday or I'm liable to John Wilson someone.

Edited by VincentGuerin

10 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Last night was disappointing, but I really didn't think the team was so awful as to deserve a round of boos at what 70-something minutes. Some people need to give their heads a wobble.

I'm not at panic stations yet, but a win against United at the weekend is a must. 

I'm also pretty relaxed about dropping into the UCL, as I've said before you can make up the difference in money by winning a few games which we are far more likely to do. I'm looking forward to it!!

Agree about the booing. Laughable stuff.

I'm right up for the Conference League, as well. Assuimg the draw isn't unkind, we should have a decent swing at getting through and the trips should be amazing.

Very little work getting done today. Ryanair, Easyjet, Seat61, Google Maps, all ready to go to have a full dossier available for when the fixtures are confirmed (tomorrow?).

You know it's bad when Shelley flipping Kerr rips you a new arsehole on live television, and she's 100% correct! 

1 win in his last 15 games, 5 losses on the bounce, I was looking towards the Dundee Utd game as a confidence booster, but I fear they'll be looking at this game in the exact same way, utterly dreadful stuff, and we rewarded him with a contract extension 🤦‍♂️

Get 3 at the back in the bin for good, and get more legs in the middle of the park, and for f**k sake, sign a b*****d striker today! 

38 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

One of the games you mentioned was two years ago with a different coach. That's not tremendously relevant to last night. And I think Plzen are a substantially better side than Rosenborg were.

The safety net thing won't really come into it for the coach. He's just trying to win the game.

Look at Plzen's European record. They go around Europe keeping clean sheets aainst sides better than us. The idea we were going to steamroller onto them and beat them by going gung-ho without our main attacking threat is pretty far-fetched.

Naismith did his sums and reckoned we could play them on the front foot for 20 minutes or so, and decided to stay in the game till then. That's not mad.

I agree it should have changed earlier. But I think when you take all the factors into consideration, his approach was sensible last night.

Back four on Saturday or I'm liable to John Wilson someone.

We don't play many European knockout ties and 9 of the players who started against Zurich are still with the club, so I think it is relevant. It's also more about the general approach to these ties than it is about the personnel.

Plzen are better than Rosenborg but not better than PAOK, and we could have won the latter game if Shankland hadn't been a couple of inches offside. Same outcome in terms of score, but you came away from the game feeling reasonably happy that we'd given it our best shot and on another day we could have won. That's not the case with last night.

Edited by DC92

18 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

I'm not at panic stations yet, but a win against United at the weekend is a must

IMG_1865.gif.cfa28aafd62f4e7348a96cff13a6301f.gif

Edited by Granny Danger

Just now, DC92 said:

We don't play many European knockout ties and 9 of that players who started against Zurich are still with the club, so I think it is relevant. It's also more about the general approach to these ties than it is about the personnel.

Plzen are better than Rosenborg but not better than PAOK, and we could have won the latter game if Shankland hadn't been a couple of inches offside. Same outcome in terms of score, but you came away from the game feeling reasonably happy that we'd given it our best shot and on another day we could have won. That's not the case with last night.

I just think it depends what you mean by giving it our best shot. There's more than one way to do that.

Just now, Galajambo said:

You know it's bad when Shelley flipping Kerr rips you a new arsehole on live television, and she's 100% correct! 

1 win in his last 15 games, 5 losses on the bounce, I was looking towards the Dundee Utd game as a confidence booster, but I fear they'll be looking at this game in the exact same way, utterly dreadful stuff, and we rewarded him with a contract extension 🤦‍♂️

Get 3 at the back in the bin for good, and get more legs in the middle of the park, and for f**k sake, sign a b*****d striker today! 

Yeah, much as it pains me to give some credence to Stewart's unhinged shouting last night, we did look more solid with 4.

I don't know why we persist with a 3 when we don't have a ball carrying CB to make it work. Kingsley does it to an extent, but he's wrong-sided due to the need to molly-coddle Rowles

6 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Yeah, much as it pains me to give some credence to Stewart's unhinged shouting last night, we did look more solid with 4.

I don't know why we persist with a 3 when we don't have a ball carrying CB to make it work. Kingsley does it to an extent, but he's wrong-sided due to the need to molly-coddle Rowles

That's something else I don't get either mate, we accommodate Rowles when we could be a lot better if he was on the bench, it's almost like we've given him a long contract and we're trying to get a buyer for him. 

8 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Hibs. 

The answer to that is always Hibs. 

That thought had crossed my mind. 😎 Hearts fans should relax, the Conference League is where it’s at. Sorry, it was where it’s at. Forgot. Pesky Norwegians.

Bit surprised at the relatively easy time Boyce is getting on here. Might as well have played 70 minutes with ten men, for all the use he was. Won a couple of headed flickons to nobody and that was about all he did positively, so far as I could see.

I really am beginning to wonder if all those opposition fan claims that Naismith is clueless and got saved by Shankland essentially being a cheat code for much of last year might have had some validity after all.

4 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

It wasn't so awful but it's capped off a dreadful month so patience is getting thin

None of us like watching Hearts get beat but if we were ticking along nicely domestically then people would find it easer for everyone  to be stoic about it.

22 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Not the most glamorous of draws

Copenhagen (A) Denmark
Heidenheim (H) Germany
Omonoia (H) Cyprus
Cercle Bruges (A) Belgium
Petrocub (H) Moldova
Dinamo Minsk (A) Belarus

If I was feeling confident I'd say we should be scooping 9 points from that lot, but after last night...