Conspiracy Theories

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Someone posted a gif of the tower getting hit the other day, and I watched it over and over, unable to fully decide but it looks like the tower above the point of impact actually moves a wee bit, which would be no surprise if it did considering a very large plane went into the side of it like a fucking dart. Maybe my eyes were deceiving me but if it did move on impact even slightly, I am sure there were more issues of structural integrity from that point on than the melting point of steel

Tall buildings can sway a wee bit. In the Red Road flats in Glasgow the bath water could slosh about on a windy day. 

51 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

One of the Towers would still have been standing if Slippery had been a passenger on the plane. Hijackers would have been thrown into the Hudson from 30,000 ft. 

If SlipperyP had been a passenger on any of those planes they'd have crashed straight into Bin Laden's cave 12 hours later.  And Slippery would've walked away without a scratch.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

This is the same with every conspiracy. Some detail is picked that sounds definitive in a soundbite and then hammered home.

Exactly. Flat Earthers will use a photo like this as proof that space flight is faked and rockets that are launched simply fall back into the sea...

5ee51f87f0f4193d9874306a?width=1100&form

On 27/08/2020 at 20:56, invergowrie arab said:

I dunno. From a govt PoV I think exposing his connections to the IRA and his alleged role as SNLA quartermaster would be more damaging than offing him. More likely to be the RA themselves if one of their lot had gone rogue and got involved with McRae, Busby and other assorted incompetents and weirdos.

There is also the possibility of some sort of double agent stuff going on.

In also not entirely convinced it was the nuclear angle just because nothing that has come out since is probably worth shooting someone over. 

I know everything today is paedo rings but I think it's establishment paedo rings. He was a detailed to Mountbatten  when he was in the navy.

He was a homosexual (different times), a raging alcoholic, short tempered and prone to public outbursts. I wouldn't be surprised if he had Kompromat on people, knew secrets about either the govt or people in Scotland or Ireland.

I think the most likely explanation is somebody somewhere thought he was a liability.

I read an article a few years back, in one of the Sunday papers IIRC, that alleged he was on the verge of exposing a Westminster paedo ring. Supposedly he had a dossier in the car with him that vanished. 

Edited by Lurkst

4 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Watched River monsters looking at Loch Ness.
Didn't even find a catfish.

Loch is dead, few eels, salmon and maybe seals at the river end.
Possibly very occasional sturgeon.

It was good that he tackled it in a professional way, no lunatics on it either.

Greenland Sharks can get into Loch Ness. Could be miscontrued as a 'Nessie'.

48 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I think it's something quite deep inside people. In fact I'd say the conspiracy theory tendency is probably the natural state, and the logical looking at the facts way of looking at these things is the 'unnatural' way that must be learned and consciously favoured to suppress the former.  We navigate the world with heuristics - we don't necessarily know if we've got the strength to take a run and jump over a river for example, but our brains process bits of information available - the width and depth of the river, the state of the ground on the run up, how fit we're feeling etc. to come up with a decision on whether we should make the attempt or not. There's a tremendous amount of filling in the gaps going on - compare this to the computing power and software design needed to get those Boston Robotics robots to navigate the environment around them. Anyway that's a longish preamble just to say it's deeply human to want to make sense of the world, and absent the full knowledge about things all of us subconsciously insert our best guesses into any unknown parameters. It works pretty well most of the time. I think what happens is there's a significant number of people who do this to arrive at the wrong conclusion and then based on this conviction they've correctly assembled the narrative of what happened, set out to find evidence that confirms this. They also react very badly to any evidence to the contrary, almost regardless of the quality of that evidence relative to whatever they've gathered together to support their interpretation.

What I find interesting isn't so much that this is probably what goes on, but that this seems to be a phenomenon that transcends the modern era - there must be something about this that we as a race value that means it persists as a trait.

I think it's more simple in the case of 9/11. I've suggested it before, that the idea of a few fanatical rag heads from the other side of the globe could attack ordinary American life so directly and murderously, with a few thousand dollars and some time on Microsoft Flight Simulator, was too much to bear, so they had to invent alternative narratives that they could fit in to a standard Hollywood film script. Basically fictionalising it to make it seem more real and explainable within the paradigms they're used to. Aliens etc are more to do with the boredom of their lives, loss of faith in religion and desperation that there must be more to it than this.

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I'd agree if 9/11 trutherism was confined solely to very nationalistic Americans, but it isn't.

I think American exceptionalism is much more extensive subconsciously than just the nativist community and the Daughters of the American Revolution.

8 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

This doesn't explain the many people who aren't Americans who believe all this. If it was just Americans then you'd be onto something and my thesis that it's actually to do with how we perceive the world would be debunked, but I think I'm right.

The internet has brought American paranoia into the global mainstream. Look at the number of posters on here and elsewhere who insist we don't know what we're talking about unless we watch some midwestern fruitloop or shock jock giving a youtube lecture from his basement. I'm mainly talking about 9/11 here btw, but an awful lot of them start over there, like the moon landings and Area 51 or whatever it is.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

If SlipperyP had been a passenger on any of those planes they'd have crashed straight into Bin Laden's cave 12 hours later.  And Slippery would've walked away without a scratch.

Bin Laden was in compound hiding from Slippery after fractious late night card game. One day the US Marines dog that found Osama first will go in river.

10 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

This doesn't explain the many people who aren't Americans who believe all this. If it was just Americans then you'd be onto something and my thesis that it's actually to do with how we perceive the world would be debunked, but I think I'm right.

Can you think of a conspiracy that does not America?  Have you ever heard of anyone being abducted by aliens who wasn't American.

American culture is everywhere including conspiracy theorists.

5 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Can you think of a conspiracy that does not America?  Have you ever heard of anyone being abducted by aliens who wasn't American.

American culture is everywhere including conspiracy theorists.

The Dark Ages never happened is a conspiracy that doesn't involve America AFAIK

16 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I don't think that can be used to explain popular belief in Bigfoot, nazca lines, Bermuda triangle, Kennedy etc.

Partly filling the void from the death of God, and partly publishers seeing a money spinner when they see it, imho.. Kennedy is a clear parallel with 9/11, how can some disgruntled ex military sharpshooter who spent time in the USSR, married a commie wife, campaigned for Castro on his return, be allowed to get a free shot at the American President? It must have been a conspiracy, no way can the twin pillars of American security, the CIA and FBI, be that incompetent. 

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Partly filling the void from the death of God, and partly publishers seeing a money spinner when they see it, imho.. Kennedy is a clear parallel with 9/11, how can some ex military nutjob who spent time in the USSR, married a commie wife, campaign for Castro on his return, be allowed to get a free shot at the American President? It must have been a conspiracy, no way can the twin pillars of American security, the CIA and FBI, be that incompetent. 

Never underestimate the need of the conspiracy theorist to be more discerning than the sheeple and the government and the experts.  It’s a lot to do with ego.  

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Never underestimate the need of the conspiracy theorist to be more discerning than the sheeple and the government and the experts.  It’s a lot to do with ego.  

1 minute ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Everything got vaporized apart from the terrorists passports, which were found on the ground. 😃

Exhibit A

Just now, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Everything got vaporized apart from the terrorists passports, which were found on the ground. 😃

I had reams of computer paper wafting down on my back garden in Hackney after the Bishopsgate bombing. Some of the passports were found in a hire car after they were refused at the airport and did a runner.