Sky Sports are Taking the Piss Thread

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Your logic here falls flat on the basic fact that Rangers and Celtic only play 17 away games each per season against other clubs. The Sky deal is 60 games, so even if they showed every single one of these Celtic and Rangers away game (34 games) plus the five home games each per club that they are allowed (10 games), you are only getting to 44 games. That leaves 16 non-Old Firm games for Sky before you even get to Premier's extra 20 games.

Sorry what logic you claim I've missed? Your assumption is based on a continuation of the rules of this past season where Sky contract allowed for 48 games. However, the amount of games Sky show go up 12 to 60 (or 25%) from August.

The OF play 19 away games a season and host 19, take out the 2 away games across the city each and you have 34+38 = 72 league games a season featuring the OF. I don't think its crazy to suggest if Sky and Premier could get away with it they'd broadcast every home and away OF fixture if they could.

Sky's payment went up 5m. To increase the total games by 25%, its reasonable to assume the 2023-24 quota's may have changed roughly commensurate with that to take these extra 12 games into account. That would seem fair and probably a major factor in Sky's negotiation.

A new deal was offered to another broadcaster and of course they would have had to sweeten the deal somehow.

TL;DR? There will be a lot more OF featured games shown live next season.

7 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Sorry what logic you claim I've missed? Your assumption is based on a continuation of the rules of this past season where Sky contract allowed for 48 games. However, the amount of games Sky show go up 12 to 60 (or 25%) from August.

The OF play 19 away games a season and host 19, take out the 2 away games across the city each and you have 34+38 = 72 league games a season featuring the OF. I don't think its crazy to suggest if Sky and Premier could get away with it they'd broadcast every home and away OF fixture if they could.

Sky's payment went up 5m. To increase the total games by 25%, its reasonable to assume the 2023-24 quota's may have changed roughly commensurate with that to take these extra 12 games into account. That would seem fair and probably a major factor in Sky's negotiation.

A new deal was offered to another broadcaster and of course they would have had to sweeten the deal somehow.

TL;DR? There will be a lot more OF featured games shown live next season.

The new Sky deal is 5 home games per club, so they will not be showing more than that from Celtic Park, Ibrox or anywhere else. I believe the Premier deal is 2 home games per non-Old Firm ground.

Edited by craigkillie

10 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Got a link?

https://spfl.co.uk/news/press-release-new-deal-with-sky-sports

The new broadcast agreements include:

• Up to 60 SPFL matches exclusively live each season from 2024/25, more than ever before, with scope to increase this over the term of the deal
  • Broadcasting live from each cinch Premiership ground up to five occasions each season from 2024/25 - one more than in the current deal
  • A minimum of five SWPL or League Cup matches exclusively live each season from 2022/23, with scope to increase further during the term
  • All cinch Premiership clubs being able to sell Pay Per View streams within the UK and Ireland of up to five league home games per season, with immediate effect, subject to certain conditions including no matches during blocked hours
  • The latest Scottish football news across skysports.com and app, including exclusive features and interviews, plus dedicated live blog coverage and in game clips from games live on Sky Sports
  • Free-to-watch highlights of every Scottish Premiership game on Sky Sports’ digital platforms, YouTube, Sky Q and Sky Glass
  • Alongside coverage and visibility for the SPFL across all Sky Sports' main social media channels, the bespoke Twitter channel @ScotlandSky will continue to be the home of all Scottish football content on Sky Sports
  • Dedicated weekly highlights show on Sky Sports Football

2 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

I meant for premier, 4 OF home games to 5 on Sky is a 25% increase on the previous season.

It’s the same for every ground, to account for the overall increase in games. 

It’s not some massive conspiracy towards every game involving one or other of the Old Firm. 

Edited by The Master

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Let's assume both Rangers and Celtic end up in the Europa League (which isn't the wildest of assumptions).

Is it fair then to say that the 5.30 Saturday slot will rarely feature either of those two?

It’s fair to say it’ll rarely feature either of them because Sky will show the vast majority of their away games. 

In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if Sky now show every Celtic or Rangers away game, simply to avoid Premier picking any up. 

19 minutes ago, The Master said:

It’s fair to say it’ll rarely feature either of them because Sky will show the vast majority of their away games. 

In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if Sky now show every Celtic or Rangers away game, simply to avoid Premier picking any up. 

OK so isn't it a good thing that there's a regular slot that will rarely feature the OF?

Or am I missing something?

28 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Let's assume both Rangers and Celtic end up in the Europa League (which isn't the wildest of assumptions).

Is it fair then to say that the 5.30 Saturday slot will rarely feature either of those two?

Celtic are automatically into the group stage of the Champions League.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

And it is now impossible to drop down into the Europa League from that stage.

Oh, I did not know that. 

Disregard my last. 

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

So is it finish in the top 2 of your Champs League group or you’re out out?

If so, that’s a brilliant change. 

There are no groups anymore.