Sky Sports are Taking the Piss Thread

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

Was there no Star Trek repeat that night or something?

This was the days when BBC2 showed one episode a week of ST:TNG, up to the season 3 cliffhanger finale (Locutus of Borg/ "Mr Worf.....fire!" ). This, followed by the announcement "And Star Trek The Next Generation will return in September"

Lying b*****ds. Sky bought the rights and it was 18 months before I saw part 2.

18 hours ago, tam the bud said:

Maybe help if some home teams would allow away fans to be behind the goals. 

Thinking of Ross C putting small amount to the side, Killie and sometimes Motherwell putting them in the top tier out of the sight of the cameras.

All helps to makes the ground looked more empty more than it is. 

The day we start positioning fans to benefit TV viewers at home rather than those actual people paying £25+ to attend is the day we've properly lost the plot.

23 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

No issue with Livi v Motherwell or Ross County v St Mirren being on telly in principle, but as it stands this just adds to an abolutely shite general offering from Sky this season. An abject failure to promote the best of our game and it highlights the issue with the tv deal.

As it stands we present our league as being games of attack v defence with the Old Firm attacking teams woefully under-resourced to play against them, more often than not with predictably dull consequences.

Now we're adding to that two games which will be of questionable quality played in front of, probably, pretty poor crowds.

Our tv deal never covers the better part of our league. You'd never know that we'd had 20,000 watching Hibs v St Johnstone recently, and you never get to see things like the Saturday night Dundee United v Aberdeen games on the telly. It's fucking insane that you'll get Hearts v Aberdeen in a few weeks with a crowd pushing 20,000 in a meaningful game and it won't be televised.

For all the nonsense people spout about Edinburgh derbies being boring (and, generally it is nonsense, even the last game had two missed penalties and an injury-time winner, the one before that a comeback from 2-0 down, both played in front of large, noisy crowds), they should be part of any tv deal. It's arguably the non-OF fixture that should be a complete non-negotiable. As someone who generally attends the fixture, it's not a problem for me personally, but it's selling the league short to overlook it to show Livi v Motherwell.

We do not promote any of the games in our division that are likely to alter perception of the division, or even half appeal to the casual viewer. It's absolutely ridiculous.

These issues have already predominantly been identified and addressed with the next TV deal that kicks in next season though, given that it allows for more games in general and also many more games from each ground.

The 4 games per ground limit that the clubs insisted on for this last deal has been brilliant for attendances but a failure in terms of the TV deal.

On 07/01/2024 at 12:37, craigkillie said:

The day we start positioning fans to benefit TV viewers at home rather than those actual people paying £25+ to attend is the day we've properly lost the plot.

I definitely agree with that, although there are places where it would benefit the way it looks on TV, as well as the attending fans. E.g my own team quite often put the away fans sitting behind the goals all the way to the west side of it - ie hidden away from the TV cameras and also not in the centre where the best view is. Ross County is usually the same.

I wouldn't want to be forced down the front at Rugby Park though just so it looks better on TV...

22 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I wouldn't want to be forced down the front at Rugby Park though just so it looks better on TV...

Not being allowed to sit down the front is every bit as irritating.

When I'm shouting abuse at the opposing goalkeeper, I want him to hear me.

On 07/01/2024 at 12:37, craigkillie said:

Bugger the TV, the atmosphere and influence to help the away team is always better the nearer the fans are to the pitch. Killie know this.

On 06/01/2024 at 21:51, scottsdad said:

This was the days when BBC2 showed one episode a week of ST:TNG, up to the season 3 cliffhanger finale (Locutus of Borg/ "Mr Worf.....fire!" ). This, followed by the announcement "And Star Trek The Next Generation will return in September"

Lying b*****ds. Sky bought the rights and it was 18 months before I saw part 2.

I really enjoyed that series. But due to what you describe my Star Trek watching stopped forever.
Fcuk SKY.

Excuse the source (I saw it shared on TwitX), but it seems Rangers have managed get an extra two games for PPV this season, in exchange for allowing Sky into Ibrox 5 times instead of 4. 

https://www.rangersreview.co.uk/news/24048098.rangers-sky-sports-agree-innovative-tv-deal-amendment/

No mention of the SPFL being involved, but they surely must have been and the framing is about playing to the gallery. It’s also possible this is being applied across the league, and again framing…gallery etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Wee jeemie said:

Sure I just heard james McFadden say , that was a chance there for THE rangers ha 

The Rangers then, The Rangers now. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXmIwaJSfBMYvXoT0uAmj

1961-european-cup-winners-cup-769-1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, The Master said:

IMG_5410.thumb.jpeg.7730a67b89939c75531c9d59c49a100a.jpeg

FFS. It must be deliberate by the amount of times they mix the teams up. 
Will be worse next season when they are in the same league. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84