Motherwell's one stop short holiday

Busta Nut

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

Its not intentional. There isnt a northern ireland emoji flag yet so they have to use a suitable alternative. Dont know why their isnt a northern ireland emoji flag but i assume there are many issues involved with it.

Technically, the Northern Ireland flag is there, right? It's just accompanied by the England and Scotland flags? :)

40 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Decent draw. Obviously would rather be at home, but that's a much better draw than the Swedish team.

Aye. 

I mean, we scudded Linfield last pre-season, our u20s ran Crusaders close over there in the Irn Bru Cup and we've just beaten Glentoran 5-1.  It obviously depends on whether we've decided to stop being terrible at football by then but the draw could have been a lot worse.

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, capt_oats said:

Aye. 

I mean, we scudded Linfield last pre-season, our u20s ran Crusaders close over there and we've just beaten Glentoran 5-1.  It obviously depends on whether we've decided to stop being terrible at football by then but the draw could have been a lot worse.

Robinson has 3 weeks to figure things out... if he's still there come Sept. 17.

5 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Robinson has 3 weeks to figure things out... if he's still there come Sept. 17.

He will be. He's got tons of credit in the bank with the board and GM. In honesty I've more faith in him sorting it out than I do us binning him and finding a replacement. The alternatives aren't exactly appealing.

Fwiw: his remit is to keep us in the division so even finishing 10th place would tick that box. 

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, capt_oats said:

He will be. He's got tons of credit in the bank and in honesty I've more faith in him sorting it out than I do us binning him and finding a replacement. The alternatives aren't exactly appealing.

Fwiw: his remit is to keep us in the division so even finishing 10th place would ticks that box. 

Right on. I wasn't suggesting canning him, I've just seen Motherwell social media melting down this season. I'm not sure how you'd fire a manager 6 or 7 games into a season following a campaign where he guided you to third place and shortly after he just won a game in Europe.

7 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Right on. I wasn't suggesting canning him, I've just seen Motherwell social media melting down this season. I'm not sure how you'd fire a manager 6 or 7 games into a season following a campaign where he guided you to third place and shortly after he just won a game in Europe.

Yep.

I mean, Stuart McCall lasted until November 2nd after finishing 2nd but starting the season with 9 defeats from 12, losing to Accies in the league cup and getting bodied out of Europe at the first hurdle.

Even then McCall resigned, the club apparently wanted him to stay on.

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

The issue this season is tbe lack of goals and the odd slip up. 3 of the 4 games we lossed were by 1-0 and the goal was usually due to issues with our defense. If we can just click and start scoring then i can see us rising in the league.

Honestly a great season would be to finish at the lowest in 10th and having a vouple of good runs in the cups. We have already made what we normally would this season with the sale of Turnbull so its really a matter of sorting tvese issues and pressing on. Hopefully this international break will help in rebuilding the teams confidence.

Additjonally i believe we have a much better chance of beating Northern Irish teams sinply due to Robinson and Carsons involvment.

1 minute ago, Phillips455 said:

The issue this season is tbe lack of goals and the odd slip up. 3 of the 4 games we lossed were by 1-0 and the goal was usually due to issues with our defense. If we can just click and start scoring then i can see us rising in the league.

Honestly a great season would be to finish at the lowest in 10th and having a vouple of good runs in the cups. We have already made what we normally would this season with the sale of Turnbull so its really a matter of sorting tvese issues and pressing on. Hopefully this international break will help in rebuilding the teams confidence.

Additjonally i believe we have a much better chance of beating Northern Irish teams sinply due to Robinson and Carsons involvment.

How much did you get from Turnbull?  £3 million?

26 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

How much did you get from Turnbull?  £3 million?

Apparently, yeah.

For context, as @Phillips455 says in an fairly average season (2019 - 8th place, out of both cups at 1st knockout stage) our turnover was £4.5m.

Our record turnover was £6.84m in 2017/18 (7th place and 2 cup finals plus £1m in player sales),

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Apparently, yeah.

For context, as @Phillips455 says in an fairly average season (2019 - 8th place, out of both cups at 1st knockout stage) our turnover was £4.5m.

Our record turnover was £6.84m in 2017/18 (7th place and 2 cup finals plus £1m in player sales),

Turnover = profit?  Or gross sales?

Also, if average is 4.5, where does the other 1.5 come from this year without fans?

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

When is the 3rd round? I am putting holidays in.

Draw is tomorrow at Noon. The actual tie takes place on the 24th September. It is also seperated so we can get one of the following:

• FK TSC Backa Topola (Serbia) or Fotbal Club FCSB (Romania)
  • NK Osijek (Croatia) or FC Basel (Switzerland)
  • KF Laci (Albania) or Hapoel Beer-Sheva (Israel)
  • IFK Goteborg (Sweden) or FC Copenhagen (Denmark)
Edited by Phillips455

18 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Draw is tomorrow at Noon. The actual tie takes place on the 24th September. It is also seperated so we can get one of the following:

• FK TSC Backa Topola (Serbia) or Fotbal Club FCSB (Romania)
  • NK Osijek (Croatia) or FC Basel (Switzerland)
  • KF Laci (Albania) or Hapoel Beer-Sheva (Israel)
  • IFK Goteborg (Sweden) or FC Copenhagen (Denmark)

Where has this come from ? 

If so rather uninspiring if we beat Coleraine. 

Most seeded teams would beat us comfortably but no real glamour names :-(

Edited by welldaft

Just now, welldaft said:

Most seeded teams would beat us comfortably but no real glamour names 🙂 

I got it from the offical motherwell twitter/website. Seems the pots have been decided and given out for everyone. The only way i believe we get through this tie (if we even make it!) Is for an upset with our chosen opponents tie.

10 hours ago, welldaft said:

Most seeded teams would beat us comfortably but no real glamour names 😞

If we were actually able to go to games I'd probably prioritise a good away trip/ glamour tie but given its behind closed doors I'm pretty happy with the draws we've had so far.

Looking at the other pots there's teams that could probably take double figures off us if they wanted to whereas I have it in my head that Basel are pretty tasty but all the rest are probably OF level or slightly weaker? Which means they'll probably still scud us but there's an outside chance we manage to nick something. Not that I watch much Danish or Israeli football, like.