Mighty Montrose FC Thread

13 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Would agree with the need for a central midfielder, I think as things stand regardless of what shape we play we’re probably looking at Liam Callaghan and Terry Masson starting most weeks and whilst both are perfectly serviceable Legue 1 midfielders, we’re probably gonna need a step up in quality if we’re aiming to get in to the play offs again. It could of course end up being that Ali Shrive is Banchory’s answer to Luka Modric but I somehow doubt that and I definitely wouldn’t want to rely on Paul Watson starting every week.

Pretty sure this is absolutely not how we’re going to line up but good to see we have good depth everywhere, other than maybe right back where we’d be relying on Webster to drop in for Williamson. A few players in there as well who can cover a couple of different positions if needed.

IMG_4368.jpeg

Nice bit of work their sir!

Squad looking good indeed,the young lads are going out on loan I was told Grant and Giacomini.Callum is away to Stirling Uni so I'm told and would maybe join them on loan no sure about the other lad.Forgot about the 1st signing of the summer the young lad Shrive be interesting to see how he gets on if he is anything like Lyons,Brown or quinn  we are into a winner here.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Nice bit of work their sir!

Squad looking good indeed,the young lads are going out on loan I was told Grant and Giacomini.Callum is away to Stirling Uni so I'm told and would maybe join them on loan no sure about the other lad.Forgot about the 1st signing of the summer the young lad Shrive be interesting to see how he gets on if he is anything like Lyons,Brown or quinn  we are into a winner here.

If they aren’t going to get a good amount of game time with us then I’d hope they well go out on loan, I assume they’re all highly rated by the club and it would be a shame if their development were to be halted due to them sitting on the bench or in the stand every week. 

Yeah we’ve done well out of the uni players, the only exception being Robbie McGale although he was only brought in for a couple of months to fill out the squad. Ross Campbell obviously knows the university football system well so I’d imagine he’ll be flagging up any decent players playing in it. I’m sure he was also responsible for Adrian Mallagaray joining us when he was over here studying.

Are you guys away to Arbroath in a friendly on Saturday?  The fixture has been showing for a while with ‘TBD’ start time, but I can find no details on either club’s socials.

Might be up that way so would liked to have taken the match in.

Was wondering if it was scrapped as clubs due to meet in the Viaplay later in July.

25 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Are you guys away to Arbroath in a friendly on Saturday?  The fixture has been showing for a while with ‘TBD’ start time, but I can find no details on either club’s socials.

Might be up that way so would liked to have taken the match in.

Was wondering if it was scrapped as clubs due to meet in the Viaplay later in July.

Haven’t see anything to suggest it isn’t going ahead. I’d have thought Arbroath would have had it pinned to their twitter feed though but it took a bit of scrolling to find it.

IMG_4376.png

Edited by Aidan

4 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Haven’t see anything to suggest it isn’t going ahead. I’d have thought Arbroath would have had it pinned to their twitter feed though but it took a bit of scrolling to find it.

IMG_4376.png

Thanks Aidan, I must have scrolled past that somehow, don’t know how I missed it 😮

49 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Looking forward to tonight back down to LP for a game,fingers crossed a couple of the new boys get a run out.

I'm just hoping to get there and back without drowning.

Anything exciting to report back from tonight? Twitter seemed to be suggesting Rory McAllister and Kane Hester were linking up well. Also interested to know how the new boys, Gill, Williamson, Batchelor and Shrive looked.

The trialist, Kaisey Brown is a young lad from Blairgowrie, poster on the Midlands League thread suggesting that he’s highly rated.

Going by tonight I think Kane and Rory are going to be a right handful in L1 next season ,both looked sharp and had a good understanding on the pitch.

The rest of the lads did ok I suppose young lad Batchelor looks to have something about him.Good work out and a hard game against a very decent Rovers team who will be right up their in my opinion in the championship.

Strip looks better in person than it does in pictures absolute beauty so it is.

Liked the way your gaffer set up against us. Pressed us higher up the pitch and had a go.

Some nice link up play at times by your boys and fitness no issue as you were a better team in the second whilst we tailed off a bit. Some goal too. Is there a bigger lower league legend than Rory McAllister! You’d think him and Hester should see plenty goals.

Good luck for the season ahead.

7 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Liked the way your gaffer set up against us. Pressed us higher up the pitch and had a go.

Some nice link up play at times by your boys and fitness no issue as you were a better team in the second whilst we tailed off a bit. Some goal too. Is there a bigger lower league legend than Rory McAllister! You’d think him and Hester should see plenty goals.

I didn’t head down for the game last night but everyone I’ve spoken seem really excited about them as a front 2 this season.

McAllister is what he is, for as long as he decides to play he’s gonna score goals at this level. 

I’m really excited to see what Kane does with us, signing for his home town team for a club record fee, comes with high expectations given his record at Elgin and he’s obviously coming in on the back of some well publicised off field issues which he will be the first to admit is self inflicted. As a fan of the club and somebody that knows him personally, I hope he does really really well. 

7 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Didn't think the back three worked in the first half for Montrose, Quinn and Dillon, not the quickest, although Dillon's reading of the game is still immense.

Much better in the second half, and as has been said, Rory and Kane will prove to be a handful, in this league.

8 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Good game so it was last night,Lewis Vaughan was really good for you lot in the 1st half if he stays fit with Dylan Easton by his side could work really well for you boys.

As been said about Rory and Kane last night I am really looking forward to see how this pans out for the season.

last nights highlights, build up for our goal from 5:00, don’t want to get too excited based on 1 goal when we were 3-0 down in our first pre season game but we’re winning the quadruple this season. 

8 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

Does anyone know anything about Kaisey Brown who was the wee trialist on Tuesday night?  I think he was a schoolboy signing at Dundee United a few years ago now and still looks a schoolboy!

This was the response I got when I asked about him on the Midlands League thread

Probably not a lot worth taking from that game tonight. If anything I’d say Ali Shrive looked tidy enough but my interest waned very early on so I maybe missed him having a stinker.

First look tonight - Hester seems in good touch although he was largely marked out of the game. Bit lightweight in the middle but that might just be lack of sharpness/familiarity. Gut feeling is the eventual first choice XI when it all shakes out will be a handy enough unit, but not sure how strong the depth will be.