UEFA Europa League 20/21

GNU_Linux

Arsenal penalty was one of the worst decisions you'll ever see. Refs are ruining football, self-important little men who aren't qualified to modify the rules of the game are killing the game. 

Both sendings off utterly ridiculous as well. Football is getting killed by stupid little committee men. How any qualified ref can watch that penalty on a replay and think its a penalty I'll never understand. 

5 hours ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

I don't understand why pundits in England think he's some sort of penalty box poacher and are surprised when he pulls out passes like for the first goal. 

They must forget when he got shoved outwide for PSG when Ibra was there and still easily notched avout 50 goals and assists every season. Just a great all round player. 

Because English pundits are almost exclusively completely biased clowns that can’t see past the English Channel, and can’t fairly comment on a players ability until they’ve done it in ‘The Barclays’. Cavani has been a top quality striker for the past 10 years, and if he had played in England at the peak of his ability he would be held in the same regards as guys like Drogba or Van Persie. Even at this stage of his career he is performing in that league to a very high standard, and no doubt making a few pundits look stupid in the process. I’m certain once Messi has retired we will hear comments like ‘but he never tested himself in England’ etc, it’s absolutely nailed on. Most English pundits are wilfully ignorant towards the other top leagues in Europe. 

Rio Ferdinand and Hargreaves on BT have the ability to speak fairly and without bias about foreign teams when up against an English side, but the rest of them lose all sense of reality. I don’t tend to take sides when it comes to European football and just hope to watch a good, high quality game. But after listening to Michael Owen a couple of weeks ago, speaking before the Madrid Liverpool game I was praying for a Madrid win. Liverpool were on a horrendous run of form at the time, but the sheer misplaced arrogance of Owen would have had you believe they were turning up to play a bunch of no-hopers, not away to Real Madrid sitting 2nd in La Liga. Liverpool turned up with a centre back pairing of Kabak and Nathaniel Phillips, and a midfield of Fabinho, Keita and Wijnaldum. Wouldn’t argue that they aren't all good players, but I’m taking the midfield with Modric, Kroos and Casemiro every day of the week and I imagine most people would say the same. 

Owen done a bit of tactical analysis pre-game, comparing the two midfields and showing a few clips before he came to the conclusion that Modric, Kroos and Casemiro were far too lazy and unwilling to track runners, and that Liverpools pacy front 3 were going to run over the top of them. Obviously the game went nothing like that and Vinicius ended up ripping Liverpool’s defence apart, but Owen was still making the same noises prior to the 2nd leg. Don’t mind pundits being slightly biased towards teams they have an affinity towards, but Owen gets paid good money for his opinions on these games and I would prefer if they were based on something other than sheer fantasy. 

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Even at this stage of his career he is performing in that league to a very high standard, and no doubt making a few pundits look stupid in the process. 

Can't agree there. Anytime I've seen him he's been fairly poor with the odd bit of magic thrown in. 

BT sport talk to Arteta and ask him where Saka is playing and he tells them up towards the front as usual. 10mins later they have a graphic of the line-up that has him at LB and Xhaka in midfield (instead of LB where’s he’s been the last few weeks) Keown is saying that’s how they think they will line up?? Do they even listen to what the managers say? 

Big fan of Bellerin, Odegaard, Saka and Party popping it about 20 yards from their own goal to then give it to Holding who attempts a dip of the shoulder that fools nobody and instantly puts his team under a silly amount of pressure. 

31 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Arsenal look like they played a game of Fitbaw at 3.....and another game at 5. Looking knackered and several yards off the pace.

This is a bit of Pep philosophy imo. Never rush.

They had a corner in the 89th minute and Willian walked over like it was midway through the first half.

I think the Villarreal keeper made a great save when Auba's header came off the post. It looked like it might have been going in and he flicked it out the way.

Hopefully McTominay gets to lift the Hankook trophy this season.  He's been excellent for club and country the past year.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Just hoping he's not too tyred. 

Fuck sake, I didn't want to set the wheels in motion for a pun-fest.

15 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Couldn't believe how bad Arsenal were. No legs, no urgency, no heart. Dreadful stuff. Arsenal Fan TV will be a hoot later.

I could believe it. Your description is applicable to many of Arsenal's games this season. Arsenal have, if anything, regressed under Arteta. He should be the first to go.

The squad is under-performing, partly due to poor recruitment. Runnarson is not even third or fourth choice. Saliba was punted out on loan. Willian is a shadow of the player that he was at Chelsea.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Hope Villarreal absolutely hammer Manchester United after all this big headed built up from these braindead wankers.

I was just about to say that. Still expect United to come through it, but they’re talking about Villarreal like they’re St Mirren.