UEFA Europa League 20/21

GNU_Linux

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

Was just coming on to say how well McTominay has played here, but I see plenty are saying the same. He’s not the most fashionable player for a team like Man United but he does an excellent job in that midfield. 

As others have said hopefully he’s not wasted with Scotland at CB, although after a shaky start in that position he’s done a job there for Scotland too. 

Steve Clarke has already come out and said he'll play midfield. Given his performance tonight, that is outstanding news.

What the guy lacks in technical ability, he more than makes up for in work rate, determination and physically. Strikes me as a guy Fergie would have loved back in the day. 

Puts Pogba to shame.

It's still a hard balance in terms of what to do with McTominay though, because unless we change our system slightly (which is possible, of course, especially with Jack and McLean out), the two wider centre-backs actually have more freedom to play than the central midfielders do. Sticking him in central midfield also means having to bring in another centre-back who is much less comfortable on the ball, which then somewhat moves away from the reason we started playing the three at the back in the first place.

Edited by craigkillie

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's still a hard balance in terms of what to do with McTominay though, because unless we change our system slightly (which is possible, of course, especially with Jack and McLean out), the two wider centre-backs actually have more freedom to play than the central midfielders do. Sticking him in central midfield also means having to bring in another centre-back who is much less comfortable on the ball, which then somewhat moves away from the reason we started playing the three at the back in the first place.

I think Clarke has said he would have to change the balance in the midfield with Jack/McLean out. I totally took that as tweaking it to make sure we utilise McTominay's drive from midfield. There isnt a distinct defensive mid in the squad though, so might mean someone like McGregor has to become a water carrier to facilitate it.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Clarke said the other day hes in that squad as a midfielder

I’m glad that’s Clarke’s plan as he’s a better midfielder than a defender. The problem for Scotland is that, Tierney and Gallacher aside, he’s better at centre half than the others. 

Villareal player makes a dodgy challenge - "oooh, that's a bad one.  VAR will be taking a look at that".

Man U player makes a dodgy challenge - "they always look worse in slow motion".