Foraging

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The fishman who comes round with his van every week used to sell it. It was quite nice but I found it a bit chewy.

I saw two elderly Chinese last year foraging for greens on the banks of the Kelvin. I wonder what it was they were collecting.

Heroin chucked off a boat.

Chantarelles for the picking round about now, there's a beech wood where they grow well near us. Nettle soup in late spring. We made raspberry jam last week. Made wild garlic pesto a couple of months ago. Mrs like to put seaweed in her bath for some reason. 

33 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Perhaps some of the more experienced foragers can help out with this, which is probably a quite deadly  form of fungus:

20200828_203531.thumb.jpg.8a2a07285b300a99bb80000fe005733e.jpg

It's beside a pavement, local to a relation of mine.

It's what I'd call a bracket fungus, some of which are edible.

This one might be coriolus versicolor which isn't.

Perhaps some of the more experienced foragers can help out with this, which is probably a quite deadly  form of fungus:

20200828_203531.thumb.jpg.8a2a07285b300a99bb80000fe005733e.jpg

It's beside a pavement, local to a relation of mine.

It's what I'd call a bracket fungus, some of which are edible.
This one might be coriolus versicolor which isn't.

Yeah that’s the one I’m getting which looks most similar. Apparently used in Chinese traditional medicine for anti cancer properties.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Here's my not so sure pile. A few boletes, a brittlegill and a truffle club (these last ones parasitise truffles but I didn't know and didn't dig a hole!).

I think the yellowy ones are trumpet chanterelles, but I'm going to do more research before I try them.

1598705091247-1779828274.jpg

It looks like you've been foraging in bins.

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

Just for that I'm going to eat them now they're probably fiufqewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ob

The first lot looked good. I don't think I'd ever be confident enough to risk picking my own mushrooms.

September is nearly here lads, liberty caps in abundance.  Has anyone tried the fly agaric way to get a hit? It's not for me. I actually hate mushrooms but use the liberty for medicinal purposes either dry or boiled then strained  and use the water in all manner of things.

Perthshire is natures larder and the burd is in her element out foraging when walking her parents dogs. I myself stick to the basics, mushrooms and nuts. There are a couple of walnut trees I know of which gives us hundreds of nuts every year much prefer them to the crappy chestnut shite most folk know about.

19 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Here's my not so sure pile. A few boletes, a brittlegill and a truffle club (these last ones parasitise truffles but I didn't know and didn't dig a hole!).

I think the yellowy ones are trumpet chanterelles, but I'm going to do more research before I try them.

1598705091247-1779828274.jpg

Come back when they’re battered.

September is nearly here lads, liberty caps in abundance.  Has anyone tried the fly agaric way to get a hit? It's not for me. I actually hate mushrooms but use the liberty for medicinal purposes either dry or boiled then strained  and use the water in all manner of things.

Seen plenty of Lib Caps already this August. My flatmate was telling me about fly agaric as a psychedelic, all sounds a bit dodgy having to boil it and all sorts to get the poison out.

Speaking of medicinals, this was a wee project I worked on earlier this year: making chaga tincture. The tincture supposedly contains loads of antioxidants and anti cancer properties and has been used for hundreds of years.

IMG_6930.jpg

Found this massive chunk growing in the highlands. Took me ages to grind it down into a fine powder with a mortar and pestle, the black parts are rock hard and the orange bits are a bit easier to break down. Distilled it for 3 months in alcohol, boiled the residue added the water to the alcohol. I reckon it’s around the 15-20% mark. I take it once a month or anytime I’m a feeling a bit under the weather.

A71570CC-8EC7-4A30-9100-CB80E52C13C5.jpg

Loads of big standard field mushrooms on the old course St Andrew's where they have relaid a lot of the rough. Clearly they rank as premium as opposed to roadside full of grit and usually maggots.

Does getting crabs in my younger foraging nightclubs years count ?

3 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Seen plenty of Lib Caps already this August. My flatmate was telling me about fly agaric as a psychedelic, all sounds a bit dodgy having to boil it and all sorts to get the poison out.

There's a theory the Viking beserkers used to use fly agaric before battles to hype themselves up.

So if you ever feel like invading the Western Isles you'll know why 

1598705091247-1779828274.thumb.jpg.eaf5a9318923440b4f1f854232bb33d8.jpg

Is that black hoof like thing the truffle club? That’s amazing, what does it taste like?

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Aye, I think the seasons are changing by 2 or 3 weeks, getting earlier imo. Certainly spring/summer/autumn with just a crap wet winter.

The way we've always been taught about fly agaric is it needs a filter and the best way is to use someone as that filter. Basically someone eats them, gets a bit sick, they then need to keep their first pish and the next person gets high from drinking the pish. Now I like my psychedelics but f**k that, I'll stick to brewing liberty. 

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Aye, I think the seasons are changing by 2 or 3 weeks, getting earlier imo. Certainly spring/summer/autumn with just a crap wet winter.

The way we've always been taught about fly agaric is it needs a filter and the best way is to use someone as that filter. Basically someone eats them, gets a bit sick, they then need to keep their first pish and the next person gets high from drinking the pish. Now I like my psychedelics but f**k that, I'll stick to brewing liberty. 

I've led a sheltered life.